Not always getting Caller ID on PSTN calls, works on VOIP calls

jnickel

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have been using PBX In A Flash for about 3 years now. I like it very much and really appreciate the effort everyone puts into it!

I have never asked for help before and I try to always research (google/wiki) as much as I can.

I have one problem I cannot solve.

First let me explain my environment:

I have a PSTN line from the phone company that is hooked to a Linksys SPA 3102. I have this setup to route the calls to the PIAF box. Those calls then get sent back to the 3102 and then to the extensions - the house phones (which are regular phones that are not VOIP capable). I also have a VOIP provider and it is connected to the PIAF box which then routes the calls to the 3102 and then to the house phones - these VOIP calls are setup with distinctive ring on the house phones so I can tell the difference between a PSTN call and a VOIP call.

The problem is this:

Some calls on the PSTN do not show the Caller ID on the house phones properly - they say "Incomplete Data".

It is very confusing.

- If I receive a call via the VOIP provider, the Caller ID on the house phones always works fine.
- If I call the PSTN number from my cell phone - it works fine.
- If I call the PSTN number from my wife's cell phone - it DOES NOT work.
- If I call the VOIP number from my wife's cell phone - it works fine.

Some phone calls to the PSTN line work...others do not.

When I look in /var/log/asterisk/full after a call from my wife's phone, I see a line like:
[2011-04-16 12:35:33] VERBOSE[27147] logger.c: dialparties.agi: Caller ID name is 'JIM NICKEL' number is '5551234'

(I changed the number)

So...PIAF is receiving the correct Caller ID from the SPA 3102, but somehow is not sending it to the phones properly.

Any ideas where I can look next? How to troubleshoot or fix this?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Jim

blanchae

Guru
Reaction score
Do you have a trunk set to the SPA3102? On the outbound route, there is an option checkbox for intracompany routes. Check it and see if it starts passing CIDs properly.

jnickel

Reaction score
I have a SIP trunk incoming from the 3102 labelled PSTN.

The 3102 acts as both a extension and as a outgoing trunk. Gateway and an Phone extension. So it has an extension number of 5001 and a Trunk entry that has Outgoing details, but nothing in the incoming details.

The outgoing routes that I have are all for calls that I make using my phones through the 3102 as an extension.

So...I don't think it makes sense to mark any of those as "Intra Company Routes".

Jim

tm1000

Schmoozecom INC/FreePBX
Reaction score
Igaetz,

This may also have to do with the cf/lf problem.

Based on your description of the problem, it looks like CID not being transmitted reliably from the ATA to your analog phones. I have two (probably wrong) ideas:
  1. Check to make sure there is no common element to all CID that is rejected such as an irregular character. We recently read here about someone having issues with displaying CNAM that contained a comma. Also look and see if there is any pattern with the number of characters in the CNAM or CID.
  2. I'm not familiar with that ATA specifically, but I recall there are loads of settings on the PAP2 for voltage and frequency etc. Improper settings there would cause issues with CID, but I would assume it would not be intermittant. I do recall reading ages ago there is a default setting there somewhere that will not work with North American phones. Also check for a firmware update.
Lorne

jnickel

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions!

Where would I look for the things you suggested?

Are there some log files or something else I should be looking at?

Sorry....just not quite sure how to proceed.

Jim

jnickel

Reaction score
Nope....not using that module and the FreePBX version I have is 2.5.2.2.

Jim

jnickel

Reaction score
Nice one!

I added a softphone to my computer and added it to the ring group for my home.

It DOES get the Caller ID and display it, while the analog phone does not.

I then tried a different analog cordless phone and it too DOES get the Caller ID.

So....should I just give up and get a new cordless phone? Or is there anything I can do?

Jim

jnickel

Reaction score
I think I will just go out and buy some new cordless phones.

Thanks for all your help!

Jim

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bellabos
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.