RECOMMENDATIONS New Home Server MB

AndyInNYC

Reaction score
My home server runs off an Asus M2NPV-VM motherboard - which has been perfect for my needs. I made the decision to upgrade my RAID storage from the 3ware 9500S-8 controller (max 2 GB drives) to a 3Ware 9750-8i which takes much larger devices (I now have 4 x 4TB to install).

Unfortunately, the Asus motherboard BIOS (newest BIOS installed, CMOS cleared, etc) doesn't see the 9750 at boot (or ever) in the PCIe x 16 slot (the card is PICE 2.0 which is supposed to be fully backward compatible). The card works because it is recognized in another machine (the card has the newest firmware installed also).

So, I'd like a low(ish) cost MB with both PCI and PCI slots - I'm running MythTV and some of my tuner cards are PCI. Lots of slots, integrated graphics and 4 GB of memory max out my needs.

Any suggestions? If anyone knows a way to get the 9750 recognized in the current machine they definitely win awards for the day since that would solve all my current needs with the least disruption.

Regards,

Andrew

AndyInNYC

Reaction score
Interestingly, Asus tech support states that PCIe motherboards (at least theirs) are NOT compatible with next gen cards; i.e. a 2.0 card won't work in a 1.x MB. It's my understanding that the spec allows for full backward compatibility so that a newer motherboard will run all cards at max speed of card/MB and older MB will run any card at min speed of MB/card.

The tech unequivocally stated that I was full of (stuff) and that it's impossible for a PCIe (gen#) card to run in a MB with slots of PICe [gen# less than the card]. I guess all of the internet is wrong - or they designed their slots wrong and want to basically deny that any other outcome than theirs is fantasy.

Gah.

Shall I sue them for fraud <g>?

Andrew

synack

Guru
Reaction score
Its actually the other way around. PCIe gen2 slots are compatible with 1 cards. PCIe gen 2 cards may or may not be backward compatible with gen 1 slots.
Sue LSI lol.

synack

Guru
Reaction score
The trouble really comes in with 2.1 PCIe cards as the Gen1 slots generally do not meet power requirements. Wikipedia has some good information on the matter.

AndyInNYC

Reaction score
Well, I've swapped the MB I have on hand. The Asus M2NPV-VM is now the PBX (only has a PCI Digium card) and the server will now use an M4A785-M.

Server wil be happier - PCIe x 16 2.0 slot to make the 3ware 9750 card happy and a PCIe 1x with a ATSC tuner as well as another PCI slot with another tuner. Now I need to find the other tuner card for the last PCI slot and bin the other 1x card.

This machine also happily runs 4 GB of memory whereas the M2NPV-VM was only happy with 2GB. The added memory should make Samba and MythTV happy although the server with 2GB ran with virtually no utilization.

Thanks for the help and opinions.

Andrew

synack

Guru
Reaction score
Do you like mythtv? My preference is Kodi for the 10ft interface. I use mythtv only as a pvr backend to support my hdhomeruns. the mythtv pvr plugin to Kodi works pretty well.

AndyInNYC

Reaction score
I use the Myth box with SchedulesDirect to record some over the air stuff. I use my WDTV Live to watch the recordings. I haven't spent any time with the Myth frontend.

Easy enough to schedule recordings and such; easy enough to watch via the WDTV Live.

I'll look at Kodi - I'd never heard of it before.

Andrew

synack

Guru
Reaction score
Kodi = renamed XBMC. Same, I use schedulesdirect as well for EPG.
Kodi is more or less a windows and linux based Windows Media Center alternative. (but so much more)

If you setup your mythtv, you can use Kodi to view Live TV or recordings with EPG as supplied by myth. I just find the myth interface hokey.
Kodi is beautiful. I use the eminence skin

RajeshGoyal

Reaction score
Nice information is depicted in this website.

Source: Technofizi|For more information

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leocipriano
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.