TIPS New guy, lots of questions [RasPBX+IPBX]

OmgItsBkid

Reaction score
Foreword: I followed this and this guide.

Hey everyone! I just got my Raspberry Pi B+ in the mail and was up until about 3am playing with it. :p I got RasPBX and Incredible PBX for Raspberry Pi installed, but now I'm waiting to learn more before I continue.

I've already broken a few rules, so I'm going to try and fix them first, but I have a few questions.

1) Google Voice. Does it or does it not work anymore? There's so much old information floating around about it "possibly" stopping or that it "will" stop, but no definite answer. I don't want to bother setting it up if it isn't going to work.

2) If GV doesn't work, what's a good alternate route for a computer-savvy-but-not-pbx-savvy person?

3) Is my router's built-in firewall good enough, or do I need to purchase a $130+ separate hardware firewall?

4) I sort of need remote SSH and web access, but I know forwarding those ports isn't a good idea. Do you guys just VPN in instead so it's not completely open?

5) Is there anything else I might not know that I need to know?

Thanks for any help! I'm mainly doing this for fun (and maybe to get some cheap home phone service out of it), but I'm super interested in all of this. :D

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
1. Works
2. Vitelity supports our project so we support Vitelity.
3. Iptables works fine if properly configured. Use the latest Incredible PBX tutorial and image and it's automagic.
4. Once IPtables is locked down to your IP address whitelist, SSH works great with or without VPN. NeoRouter is preinstalled.
5. Probably a few things. :alucard:

OmgItsBkid

Reaction score
Ok I can't seem to make or receive calls after following that guide to the T.

Trying to call my GV number just rings and goes to GV Voicemail. Trying to call my cell phone from Yate just rings and hangs up on me. This is the output for the call from Yate. I've changed my GV and cell phone number, as well as my email, ofc, but you get the idea.

Any idea why I'm just having such bad luck? :/

Edit: Also randomly this now:

STARTING ASTERISK
Unable to connect to remote asterisk (does /var/run/asterisk/asterisk.ctl exist?)

MGD4me

Guru
Reaction score
I've already broken a few rules, so I'm going to try and fix them first, but I have a few questions...

Since you have already volunteered that you have either made some changes, or taken other actions that may or may not, have led to the present problem(s) you are experiencing, let's start there.

What rules have you broken? Without knowing exactly how your system is different from a known tested system, I think we will just be guessing as to what is wrong. Sometimes the best solution is to simply start over with a fresh install and follow "the recipe" step-by-step, and then suddenly everything will mysteriously work perfectly.

OmgItsBkid

Reaction score
"Breaking a few rules" was referring to port forwarding, and not running behind a hardware firewall. Those have been discussed and are taken care of. :p

Currently, I wiped my system and followed the guide he linked me exactly.

Edit: Slight side question: Does this community have an IRC server (or at the very least, channel)?

tm1000

Schmoozecom INC/FreePBX
Reaction score
Yes and no. PBX in a Flash does not specifically have an IRC channel, or an active one in that sense. For FreePBX there is an active IRC channel and an active dev channel.

http://wiki.freepbx.org/display/GHWF/Connecting+to+IRC

"Breaking a few rules" was referring to port forwarding, and not running behind a hardware firewall. Those have been discussed and are taken care of. :p

Currently, I wiped my system and followed the guide he linked me exactly.

Edit: Slight side question: Does this community have an IRC server (or at the very least, channel)?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rahee
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.