FOOD FOR THOUGHT New Grandstream GXV3240 - thoughts?

fang0654

Guru
Reaction score
I just found out today that Grandstream just released a new Android phone as a replacement for both the GXP2200 and the GXV3140.

Announcement and video are here:
http://www.grandstream.com/index.php/products/ip-video-telephony/gxv3240

The built in WiFi and video camera has me a bit excited, and it looks like it has a more recent version of Android (4.2), instead of the old 2.3.

I don't see it up on Telephony Depot yet, so I have no idea what the price is, but a Grandstream rep said it was "slightly" higher than the GXP2200. Overall, I'm pretty excited to get my hands on one and play with it. Anyone know if the PC port will provide a network connection if the phone is connected via WiFi?

krzykat

Telecom Strategist
Reaction score
I think ?? I tried to do that with a GXP2200 and use the WIFI and bridge to PC port and I don't believe it worked, but my memory could be faulty.

Brian Simmons

Reaction score
Anyone know if the PC port will provide a network connection if the phone is connected via WiFi?

Don't know for sure, but I would be very surprised if it did. Effectively the PC port is a simple network switch connected to the "network" plug.

Brian Simmons

Reaction score
I see Grandstream is still using the same touch screen with the incredibly pitiful 480x272 resolution. My primary desire for the GXP2200 was to integrate it with my home automation system via their Android app. But with a screen that has 1/4 the resolution of my 4 year Android phone (Droid X), it was impossible to create usable screens because there was so little room to include things. I could fit about 4 buttons on the screen and that was all. This phone will do no better.

Grandstream also seems to have another Android phone coming out with a larger screen - the GXV3275. It may be a better choice for a lot of people. http://www.888voip.com/products/grandstream-gxv3275.html

Although both of those phones look like they are going to be released with Android 4.2 which is already over a year old. Seems like they could/should use at least 4.3. Still, it is lightyears ahead of Android 2.3 which is what the GXV2200 was released with....

fang0654

Guru
Reaction score
I see Grandstream is still using the same touch screen with the incredibly pitiful 480x272 resolution. My primary desire for the GXP2200 was to integrate it with my home automation system via their Android app. But with a screen that has 1/4 the resolution of my 4 year Android phone (Droid X), it was impossible to create usable screens because there was so little room to include things. I could fit about 4 buttons on the screen and that was all. This phone will do no better.

Grandstream also seems to have another Android phone coming out with a larger screen - the GXV3275. It may be a better choice for a lot of people. http://www.888voip.com/products/grandstream-gxv3275.html

Although both of those phones look like they are going to be released with Android 4.2 which is already over a year old. Seems like they could/should use at least 4.3. Still, it is lightyears ahead of Android 2.3 which is what the GXV2200 was released with....

I'm using the 2200, and haven't run into the same issues with screen size. The shortcut icons can easily fit 15 on the screen (3x5) - is it a custom widget that only does 1x2 or something?

I think I understand why they don't have the bleeding edge Android version - they probably have had this in development since 4.2 came out. I doubt their dev team is large enough to upgrade the OS everytime a new release comes out, and so they just stick with the version and just work on stability.

Reaction score
I finally got around to ordering one today, I'm kinda excited by all the changes to this one over the 2200. I'll let you know how it goes after it gets here. As for Android 4.2 still good enough as every app will run on it you could want, just the 2200 with only Android 2.3 nothing was supported anymore. This one appears to have a memory card slot and all so let's hope it will be upgradeable for awhile.

fang0654

Guru
Reaction score
I just got one in yesterday to play around with, and I can honestly say, this thing is pretty damn awesome. It has a lot more functionality than I thought. For example, it comes with OpenVPN and PPTP support already built in. The headset mode (when using a Plantronics CS50) detects whether the headset is actually turned on or not, and will switch to headset mode if you press the power button. The phone can also act as a Wifi hotspot (!). The video camera works pretty well, (I tested a video call using Google Hangouts, and it worked pretty much as expected). The androidishness of the phone looks much much nicer than the 2200. It comes with MPK widgets of various sizes already to go, etc, etc.

There are a couple of bugs/features that need to get worked out. If you turn on the wifi, (as a client), it disconnects the ethernet. While pressing the power button on the wireless headset will switch to headset mode, it won't answer a call. When using it as a bluetooth headset to answer your cell phone, if you walk away you need to reconnect your cell phone again. The default ringtone is silence.

Overall though, this thing has me amazed at how awesome it is right out of the box. Hell, it even comes with a wall mount (which fits the 2200). I just sold 7, so I should get to play with the deployment stuff in a week or two.

Reaction score
WOW just unboxed it and so far very nice, however one BIG problem as far as I am concerned it doesn't have G729 support in the firmware. It's only showing available codecs as ULAW, ALAW, G722, G726-32, and iLBC. What the heck is Grandstream thinking?

Reaction score
That looks pretty sweet. I just ordered one to try out. The WiFi and HDMI make it especially interesting I'm wondering if my sister would like that better than the SIP Dect handset at her living room chair...she often Skypes with a friend overseas so this might be a bit nicer solution than using her laptop.....

phoneguy

Guru
Reaction score
The 3240 and 3275 are both supported in the Commercial EPM also.

Reaction score
Well mine is passing the Sister Test so far. She seems to really like it. I don't think she's tried Skyping on it yet though.

Jay Deal

Phhhhhhhhttttttt :)
Reaction score
Anyone know if the 3240 can use an external USB webcam like the 2200 could/can? I know the 3240 has a built in VGA camera but I was hoping you could use an external HD ala Logitech C615.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pbxnewguy
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.