FYI Netgear R7000 WiFi Router

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score

Just testing Netgear's latest and greatest $199 Nighthawk R7000 WiFi Router/Firewall/OpenVPN/KitchenSink appliance. Not only are the specs impressive, but the WiFi performance is like nothing we've ever seen before. Through 3 walls and on the opposite end of our house (a feat never before matched by any WiFi device), we got the following Speed Test results to an iMac and a Galaxy S4, respectively. Setup took less than 5 minutes.

326105864.png
BWfKEEpCYAA8Qam.jpg:large

Start putting money in your piggy bank. This one's worth ever penny...

BWfHeuACcAAMsKL.jpg:large

krzykat

Telecom Strategist
Reaction score
Was your testing done at 5Ghz or the 2.4?

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
This was 5 GHz but very far away. As a point of reference, we need 3 Apple routers for WiFi coverage of the same square footage in our home. And the performance is 3 to 4 times that of the Apple N routers.

PBX@Home

Reaction score
Three years ago it turned up? And no fix ... things that make you go ... hmmm N ... ahhh S ... errrr A

mbellot

Reaction score
Turned up three years ago, maybe but...

The affected models likely include D-Link's DIR-100, DI-524, DI-524UP, DI-604S, DI-604UP, DI-604+, TM-G5240 and possibly the DIR-615. The same firmware is also used in the BRL-04UR and BRL-04CW routers made by Planex, Heffner wrote.

The DI-524 is nearly a decade old...

:eek:

Reaction score
Recent NSA revelations make everything suspect. Who knows who put this in place. Perhaps D-LINK would like to comment.

Trimline2

Guru
Reaction score
This was 5 GHz but very far away. As a point of reference, we need 3 Apple routers for WiFi coverage of the same square footage in our home. And the performance is 3 to 4 times that of the Apple N routers.

Just ordered one on your review - house got hit by lighting yesterday and of course blew the modem and router up.

Sigh, it's always something.

Trimline2

Guru
Reaction score
Ward:

Wow, I'm impressed with the R7000. Talk about lightning speed (pun intended), this puppy rocks.

I have 5 wireless SNOM 821's connected to my PBX. They don't miss a beat; the furthest one out shows at least 70% wireless signal where as before maybe 50%. The wireless HTPC's connected to a Silicon Homerun for TV run as smooth as silk.

The interesting test was faxing. The HP wireless printer/fax connected to a Grandstream 502 on VoIP.ms didn't hesitate. Once in a while on the old setup, I would have to retry. In this environment, I haven't seen a failure and they are much faster to send/receive - 50% faster.

I would recommend this router to anyone.

Thanks for your writeup! You didn't steer me wrong... :balloon:

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
I've found I have to reboot it about once a month to keep the WiFi humming. Might have something to do with the thousand WiFi connections between our house and our two neighbors. :innocent:

jeff.h

Guru
Reaction score
How is it with port forwarding? I had given up on Netgear stuff the last few years because no matter what I configured it for, it would always do funky stuff with my SIP and RDP ports. I am still running an Asus RT-N66U and it has been flawless with port forwarding and doesn't do any ALG or manipulation of its own accord.

Trimline2

Guru
Reaction score
How is it with port forwarding?

I don't have any ports forwarded, but it does have that option. I can tell you that the 2TB Seagate USB 3.0 port works really well. I keep all my movies on it and it streams wireless throughout the house. My TV's are all wireless big screen HTPCs.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
:iagree: And we forward all sorts of ports with no problems. This is not your grandma's Netgear.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OctavianBebu
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.