wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Where do you fit in the Venn Diagram?

venn.jpg

via Great White Snark

phinphan

Reaction score
According to my nephew and his buddies who are all Engineering majors at Georgia Tech, it is okay to be a nerd or a geek but definitely not okay to be a dork.

vcallaway

Guru
Reaction score
My son put it this way:

Geek works in hi-tech.
Nerd works in hi-tech, in sales.
Dork just lives in his mothers basement dreaming of hi-tech.

YMMV. :biggrin5:

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
No offense to the Geeks, but... here’s the best definition we’ve found: “a nerd is very similar to a geek, but with more RAM and a faster modem.”

tycho

Guru (not...)
Reaction score
Handy! The source of countless debates among my often-clueless friends. I will share this with them.

tycho

Guru (not...)
Reaction score
Wow that's not dated :D

Hey; it didn't specify =what kind= of modem. :) I still use a modem: it's just of the cable variety rather than my old USRobotics 56K unit ("pursuant to FCC regulations, the speed of this device is limited to 53 Kpbs...")

Geek-ism/Nerd-ism: my first modem was a "300 baud" device. Never personally owned a 110, but I'd used plenty of them (see my avatar)

I owned a 300, a 1200, a 2400, several 9600s while they figured out "the standard," a 14.4K, a 28.8K, and a 56K. Then I discovered DSL...

krzykat

Telecom Strategist
Reaction score
OK - so who all owned a CompuServ account? I know I did, while being a clipper programmer, and Novell Netware expert.

tycho

Guru (not...)
Reaction score
I had a Compuserve account, as well as an account with the company that then changed it's name into AOL.

No cheating/Googling: who can remember the name of that predecessor company? (I do! I do!) :)

mbellot

Reaction score
I owned a 300, a 1200, a 2400, several 9600s while they figured out "the standard," a 14.4K, a 28.8K, and a 56K. Then I discovered DSL...

I didn't "own" it, but was fortunate (?) enough to use a 110 baud modem courtesy of Chicago Public Schools. Even then my home system was better (I had a 300 baud acoustic coupler at home).

FWIW - I was taught in college that you can't spell geek without EE, so I guess that makes me a geek, though I probably fit better in the nerd intersection from the OP. ;)

w1ve

Guru
Reaction score
CompuServc?? Ultra-Modern!! When in High School, my math teacher asked me if I wanted to join a "computer club". I said sure. He said "meet me at this broom closet after school. I did not know what to expect... It had an IBM Selectric Typewriter Terminal, with a 110-baud acoustically coupled modem, and a dial telephone...

The Selectric typewriter had an APL typeball (greek character set), and the modem was connected to an IBM System 360 at a local university running APL 360/SV. I was in heaven!!

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
w1ve: After the Penn State fiasco, not sure I'd want to meet anybody in the broom closet. :asshole:

tycho

Guru (not...)
Reaction score
It had an IBM Selectric Typewriter Terminal, with a 110-baud acoustically coupled modem, and a dial telephone...

The Selectric typewriter had an APL typeball (greek character set), and the modem was connected to an IBM System 360 at a local university running APL 360/SV. I was in heaven!!

Man, I =so= wanted one of those Selectric-turned-printers back in the day. Rat's-nest of wires out the back hard-soldered into some cobbled-together I/O port on one's home-brew "personal computer" (Altair? Imsai? S-100 buss?) :)

tycho

Guru (not...)
Reaction score
I had a Compuserve account, as well as an account with the company that then changed it's name into AOL.

No cheating/Googling: who can remember the name of that predecessor company? (I do! I do!) :)

Time's up class!

The correct answer is "Quantum Computer Services." I was a charter subscriber. I've had an AOL account (dusty; it's somewhere) so long that my username is just my 3 initials...

w1ve

Guru
Reaction score
You are right, Ward... but my teacher was a standup guy... When I went to college, my "computer programming" class was on an HP Mini, with 4K of core, using a version of BASIC that you loaded using an OCTAL sequence on the front panel to start the paper tape reader, then ran the BASIC on a Model 19 teletype!! The professor got a $30K grant to upgrade the HP Mini to 16K of RAM -- instead he bought 16 Commodore PET microcomputers running Microsoft BASIC... pretty cool. My first computer out of college was the Altair 8800 Kit from MITS - my roommate at the time bought one! We were both hams, so we had it running with a Model 19 teletype as well. Fun times!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mark-curtis
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.