TRY THIS Need to port to VOIP provider

Jake

Reaction score
I'm having trouble finding a VOIP provider in a certain rate center (435-257)

Frontier is the current owner of the ILEC. Since it's a smaller and rural area I'm assume no other provider has equipment there or Frontier is just being a pain.

Any ideas? I've done lookups with Anveo, Callcentric, Voip.ms, Vitelity, VOIP.ms

rossiv

Guru
Reaction score
See if Frontier will establish a Remote Call Forwarding account with a number in the rate center. Once you have the number for a month or so, you should be able to port it out. That's the theory, at least, that I'll be testing with AT&T here shortly.

Jake

Reaction score
The crazy thing is there is only two cell phone providers in the same rate center with no other clec. However, if I could port to say at&t wireless, use a gsm adapter to my PBX and then port out of at&t in a month or so? Maybe?

Jake

Reaction score
See if Frontier will establish a Remote Call Forwarding account with a number in the rate center. Once you have the number for a month or so, you should be able to port it out. That's the theory, at least, that I'll be testing with AT&T here shortly.

We already own the number we just want to port to a VOIP provider. I did confirm with AT&T wireless and they say they can port in the Frontier number. I assume once AT&T has it I can port from them to a VOIP provider? Or will I still have the same problem? The rate center wouldn't change and the VOIP providers check the rate center not who the carrier is, correct?

rossiv

Guru
Reaction score
Wait, why can't you just port straight from Frontier if you have the number?

Jake

Reaction score
I cannot find a VoIP provider to port to. All of the VoIP providers say they cannot service that rate center.

Mango

www.toao.net
Reaction score
I assume once AT&T has it I can port from them to a VOIP provider?

Unfortunately no. You're correct that the rate centre would not change. If a service provider can't port it now, porting to a cell won't change anything.

The exception to this rule is Google Voice, which only ports from cell phones.

Jake

Reaction score
If GV can port cell numbers from probably most any rate center I wonder if any other VoIP providers peer with cell providers to provide DIDs.

For example say Vitelity, with their Sprint vMobile association could somehow liberate this number to the VoIP world?

I suspect no but just a thought.

jeff.h

Guru
Reaction score
Have you tried Flowroute? They have a bunch of stuff in 435 where they can outright sell you a new number, but you should still be able to port any number to them. I've done that with a lot of numbers in rural areas in TX for numbers they don't sell.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nikko
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.