I HAVE A DREAM Need to hire a pro...

Ernie Pantuso

Reaction score
Aside from the basic setup, I don't seem to be able to do much with PIAF. The learning curve seems a bit high and I don't have time to do all the reading I'd need to do so... I'm looking for some professional help.

I don't know how things are in the Asterisk/PIAF world, but most of the consultants I'm familiar with tend to want to just set everything up and collect a paycheck. That's not what I'm looking for. I want to learn. I want to understand. So I'm looking for someone who can look over my list of goals, then walk me through (over the phone) how to set it all up, helping me to understand it all along the way.

If you're good with PIAF and also good at explaining things to noobs, please PM me with your rates.

Max Power

Reaction score
Why don't you post your list of goals here. You might get free help through the forum posts.

Porch

Guru
Reaction score
Please don't take this the wrong way, but your post makes it seem you want to learn to do something, without actually taking the time to learn it. This sends up all kinds of red flags for me as I have had nothing but problems with clients who want to do this. Mostly it involves around the client having no basic knowledge of the tech behind it, but wanting do some advance task that requires that knowledge. Then they get mad at me for not teaching them properly and I won't get paid.

However, please do post your goals and maybe we can help.

Ernie Pantuso

Reaction score
I appreciate your input, Porch and I take no offense. It's somewhat true - I am trying to take a shortcut around the learning curve, but not because I don't want to start at the beginning and learn the foundation-level stuff. My biggest issue is time. There's a delay inherent in learning via a forum - and not just the time it takes to get responses. It's more about the amount of time it takes me before I have a chance to get back to the forum and see the responses. (Then, when they're laden with acronyms, the whole cycle starts again while I try to wade through the alphabet soup and understand the response I've received.) I think this would be so much more productive for me if I could setup a series of one hour phone sessions, with immediate answers to my questions. And while it would be nice for someone to offer to do that for free, I think it would be silly of me to expect it.

Nevertheless, I'll post my goals as you and Max Power (thanks for the response, Max!) have suggested...

Ernie Pantuso

Reaction score
Thanks, Tony! I clicked through to check it out. Looks like it's strictly on-location (and nowhere near me). Is that correct?

Ernie Pantuso

Reaction score
As requested...

First, a little background...

I'm an entrepreneur with multiple business ventures (some active, some not – all based out of my home). When I start a venture, I always...
  1. Register a domain
  2. Setup [bizname]@gmail.com
  3. Get a Google Voice phone number
My primary/most active venture is a mobile tech services business (focusing on computing, wireless/networking, etc.) A busy day is maybe a dozen calls. I have a similar business that focuses on audio/video/home theater. Not very active. Less than one call per day. For either of these businesses, my role puts me at my customers' houses and I don't like to waste their time/money on calls from other customers. My wife, Krista, is my office manager/receptionist/personal assistant. She fields all the calls, schedules appointments, etc. She calls and/or texts me as necessary, and I have special ring/text tones for her because, if she's calling, it's probably important.

There are a couple of others businesses that currently have little/no call volume (which could change in the near future) and then there's the parent company/LLC which receives an occasional call (2 or 3 per month) from a vendor or distributor, that's all.

Current phone setup...

Krista and I use our mobile phones exclusively for personal calls. We don't have a land line/”home number”, but I did purchase a Magic Jack for business usage. Google voice for my primary business (“TGM”) is configured to ring the MagicJack. It also rings my iPhone. It's supposed to also ring an app (GV Mobile) on Krista's iPhone but it doesn't. Because Google won't allow me to forward multiple GV numbers to the same phone, I paid $10 each for three Sipgate accounts (unlimited incoming minutes) and had the GV numbers for two additional ventures – plus the parent company number forwarded to the Sipgate numbers, which then forwarded to the MJ, and Krista's/my iPhones. But Sipgate just shut down their U.S. operations, so now only the TGM line is active. All other callers have to leave a voice mail and get a call back.

I purchased a Raspberry Pi for use as my PIAF box. If that proves to be underpowered, I have numerous PCs around that could be repurposed and dedicated to PIAF.

I don't have any SIP phones and no budget for them at the moment. Beyond that, I'm not sure they'd be a good fit, in general. Krista doesn't work from an office/desk – she works from wherever, using a multi-handset (analog) cordless phone system and I know she would be very resistant to changing that. I do have a Linksys SPA2102 ATA (from when I was with some VOIP provider or another – maybe Vonage – several years ago). I believe it works and I'd like to use it in conjunction with my current (analog) phone system.

Goals...
  1. When the phone rings, the caller ID should have a prepended prefix so that Krista knows which business was called and how to answer the phone.
  2. Krista should be able to put a caller on hold, call me, and talk to me before putting a call through OR hang up with me, get back to the caller, then put them through to my voice mail.
  3. When I get a voicemail message, I'd like to be notified on my iPhone by text message.
  4. Any time a customer leaves a voicemail message in the general mailbox,both Krista and I should be notified by text message and email, preferably with a link that lets us dial in to hear the message.
  5. When Krista calls a customer, she should be able to dial a prefix before the number, and this prefix will determine what (outbound CID) number is displayed to the customer.
  6. From outside the house, I would like to be able to call the desired business number, have it recognize me via my iPhone's CID, then take me to a menu that would allow me to:
    • Dial a customer- either by voice recognition/speaking the customer's name or by entering (on the phone/app keypad) the first few digits of the customer's name. The call would then be placed with the desired outbound CID is displayed to the customer – NOT my iPhone number.
    • Listen to my voicemail messages
    • Leave a voicemail message for Krista or another extension
    • It should do this without actually ringing the phones in our house so Krista doesn't answer/isn't distracted by such calls
    • All of the above should also be available to Krista via her iPhone when she is outside the house.
    • Ideally, there would be a way (via iPhone app + open firewall ports/VPN/whatever) so that iPhones that are outside the house could function as though they were just another extension inside the house.
  7. Krista/I should be able to quickly/easily select from a few different outgoing messages – which would automatically change call routing. Ideally, this would be done by picking up a handset, dialing a 2 or 3 digit number, then hanging up.
  8. Krista needs to be able to put us on "Do Not Disturb" for a specified amount of time - at the end of which, the system would automatically take itself OFF Do Not Disturb. Ideally, this would work by calling a 2 or 3 digit number and responding to the system prompt, "All calls will be routed to the general voicemail box for how many minutes?"
  9. If possible, the 2 items above should be applied to all trunks/businesses automatically. If necessary, maybe a speed dial could be setup to dial the right 3 digit codes – with pauses in between – to set this up “macro-style”.
  10. Each trunk/business should automatically go on/off “Do Not Disturb” at specified times/days.
  11. An IVR system to give customers the option to listen to helpful announcements.

Porch

Guru
Reaction score
That's a healthy list. And I am doing most of it, with out having the assistant part, but I am not as busy as you.
First let me say I don't really like Google Voice anymore, and I was with them day 1. I started to have problems with their service, and moved off them a few months back. That was a pain because I had issues with forwarding the GV number to a DID. GV would not detect that PAIF picking up the phone. I had to do a few tricks to make it work. Anyway, my DIDs are on Vitelity now and the problems are gone.

Let me give you some hints how I do it.
  • When the phone rings, the caller ID should have a prepended prefix so that Krista knows which business was called and how to answer the phone.
"CID name prefix" in the incoming route will do this.
  • Krista should be able to put a caller on hold, call me, and talk to me before putting a call through OR hang up with me, get back to the caller, then put them through to my voice mail.
I use parking lots for this. I park the caller, then can dial into a "secret" DID and pickup the call from my cell phone or other phone. Not exactly like a call transfer, but I use it when I need to change phones/phone systems and don't want 30 minutes of waiting on hold to go to waste. I bet you can use it for your application.

• When I get a voicemail message, I'd like to be notified on my iPhone by text message.
  • Any time a customer leaves a voicemail message in the general mailbox,both Krista and I should be notified by text message and email, preferably with a link that lets us dial in to hear the message.
Settings for that are right in the voice mail settings for the extension. You just enter in your phones txt email address. I have it email me the voice mail message too.

• When Krista calls a customer, she should be able to dial a prefix before the number, and this prefix will determine what (outbound CID) number is displayed to the customer.
That's done in the outbound route. Put the number you want to trigger in the "prefix" setting. Then the CID you want to use in the "Route CID" with "override extension checked"

• From outside the house, I would like to be able to call the desired business number, have it recognize me via my iPhone's CID, then take me to a menu that would allow me to:
    • Dial a customer- either by voice recognition/speaking the customer's name or by entering (on the phone/app keypad) the first few digits of the customer's name. The call would then be placed with the desired outbound CID is displayed to the customer – NOT my iPhone number.
    • It should do this without actually ringing the phones in our house so Krista doesn't answer/isn't distracted by such calls
    • All of the above should also be available to Krista via her iPhone when she is outside the house.
    • Ideally, there would be a way (via iPhone app + open firewall ports/VPN/whatever) so that iPhones that are outside the house could function as though they were just another extension inside the house.
I have a DID that goes to an IVR setup just to exactly this.
55 takes me to a DISA that I can then dial out from. I use an app called "International Dialer" that does all the butting mashing for me.
11 is directed to my voice mail box, I press * at my message, then enter in the password and press 1 for new messages. Or I can press a button I have setup for this on my cell phone. Same would work for Krista, it would just need to have another menu option pointed to a different voicemail.
All this works from any phone that can dial my secret DID.
It does not work exactly like having the cell phone as an extension, but it's close.
I am on wifi a bunch, so I have my phone connect using CSipSimple, but when I am not, a follow-me rings my cell directly.

• Krista/I should be able to quickly/easily select from a few different outgoing messages – which would automatically change call routing. Ideally, this would be done by picking up a handset, dialing a 2 or 3 digit number, then hanging up.
Not had a need to try this yet. It should be possible.

• Each trunk/business should automatically go on/off “Do Not Disturb” at specified times/days.
I don't use this for my personal cell, but I use "Time Conditions" in other businesses for this.

• An IVR system to give customers the option to listen to helpful announcements.
That's easy. It's just an IVR with an incoming route pointed to it.

So the only issue I can see you having is all your GV to MJ to SipGate and other trunking causing problems because of the complexity. Having them all under one provider will greatly simplify things and make it easier to troubleshoot when something goes wrong.

TwigsUSAN

Guru
Reaction score
A regular SIP provider would be your best bet. GV is dropping XMPP/Jabber and who knows what the might get rid of next.

Ernie Pantuso

Reaction score
Wow! Porch, thanks for taking the time to post all that. Of course, it brings up many new questions for me...
I had issues with forwarding the GV number to a DID. GV would not detect that PAIF picking up the phone. I had to do a few tricks to make it work.
DID = inbound phone line?
Wouldn't it be easier to just port the GV number into my new SIP provider?
Anyway, my DIDs are on Vitelity now and the problems are gone.
I checked out Vitelity and it looks pretty expensive to me. How much (approximately) is your monthly bill? More importantly, how much is mine going to be if I have, say, 6 incoming phone numbers? (Is that 6 DIDs?)
I'm really clueless about how this would all work. Can you take me through, step by step, how I would go about switching 6 different GV numbers/accounts over to a SIP provider like Vitelity?
When the phone rings, the caller ID should have a prepended prefix so that Krista knows which business was called and how to answer the phone.

"CID name prefix" in the incoming route will do this.
OK, but how? Where? Do I configure this using FreePBX? Or somewhere else? Where exactly do I go to configure this? Exactly what settings do I change?
Krista should be able to put a caller on hold, call me, and talk to me before putting a call through OR hang up with me, get back to the caller, then put them through to my voice mail.

I use parking lots for this. I park the caller, then can dial into a "secret" DID and pickup the call from my cell phone or other phone. Not exactly like a call transfer, but I use it when I need to change phones/phone systems and don't want 30 minutes of waiting on hold to go to waste. I bet you can use it for your application.
OK, so basically, Krista would park the call and call me. Then I could either pick up the parked call or - if I'm unable to take it, she could pick up the parked call then put them through to my voice mail. Is that correct? Again, where/how exactly do I set this up?
  • When I get a voicemail message, I'd like to be notified on my iPhone by text message.
  • Any time a customer leaves a voicemail message in the general mailbox,both Krista and I should be notified by text message and email, preferably with a link that lets us dial in to hear the message.
Settings for that are right in the voice mail settings for the extension. You just enter in your phones txt email address. I have it email me the voice mail message too.
Cool. That sounds like I might actually be able to figure it out on my own!
  • When Krista calls a customer, she should be able to dial a prefix before the number, and this prefix will determine what (outbound CID) number is displayed to the customer.
That's done in the outbound route. Put the number you want to trigger in the "prefix" setting. Then the CID you want to use in the "Route CID" with "override extension checked"
What do I use to do that and where do I go to make those changes?
  • From outside the house, I would like to be able to call the desired business number, have it recognize me via my iPhone's CID, then take me to a menu that would allow me to:
I have a DID that goes to an IVR setup just to exactly this.
55 takes me to a DISA that I can then dial out from. I use an app called "International Dialer" that does all the butting mashing for me.
11 is directed to my voice mail box, I press * at my message, then enter in the password and press 1 for new messages. Or I can press a button I have setup for this on my cell phone. Same would work for Krista, it would just need to have another menu option pointed to a different voicemail.
All this works from any phone that can dial my secret DID.
It does not work exactly like having the cell phone as an extension, but it's close.
I am on wifi a bunch, so I have my phone connect using CSipSimple, but when I am not, a follow-me rings my cell directly.
It's great that all this is possible - but out of everything you said above, that's about all I understood. Sounds like your "secret DID" is kind of the key to a lot of cool stuff. What makes it a "secret DID"? Is it just that you don't give the number out to other people? Or is it more than that?
You mentioned 2 apps. How hard are they to install & configure?
What's a DISA???
  • Each trunk/business should automatically go on/off “Do Not Disturb” at specified times/days.
I don't use this for my personal cell, but I use "Time Conditions" in other businesses for this.
I don't need a "Do Not Disturb" for my iPhone; I just need the system to - at a particular time - switch the outgoing announcement and send callers to the main voicemail box -- and NOT route them to the ATA or to my/Krista's iPhone.
  • An IVR system to give customers the option to listen to helpful announcements.
That's easy. It's just an IVR with an incoming route pointed to it.
Yeah, that one I think I can probably figure out.
So the only issue I can see you having is all your GV to MJ to SipGate and other trunking causing problems because of the complexity. Having them all under one provider will greatly simplify things and make it easier to troubleshoot when something goes wrong.
SipGate is out of the equation now, and MJ will be, too. I'm open to a different SIP provider but depending on what I'm going to pay to have 6 numbers via a SIP provider, I may try my damndest to just make GV work.

Ernie Pantuso

Reaction score
I thought of a new goal I have. I'll put it here but also append it to my novella above. :D

Krista needs to be able to put us on "Do Not Disturb" for a specified amount of time. At the end of that time period, the system should automatically take itself OFF Do Not Disturb. Ideally, this would work by dialing a 2 or 3 digit number and the system would say, "All calls will be routed to the general voicemail box for how many minutes?" And she would punch in "30" or "60" or "90" or whatever.

Porch

Guru
Reaction score
Wow! Porch, thanks for taking the time to post all that. Of course, it brings up many new questions for me...
DID = inbound phone line?
Wouldn't it be easier to just port the GV number into my new SIP provider?

Yep. DID is short for Direct Inward Dialling. AKA, a phone number.
That's what I did, I ported the number to Vitelity. They charge $1.49 per DID per month and then 0.012 per minute. They also have a 911 fee, but it's not much.
VOIP.MS is cheaper and I like them better, but Vitelity has better SMS support and 90% of my communications is over SMS.

I checked out Vitelity and it looks pretty expensive to me. How much (approximately) is your monthly bill? More importantly, how much is mine going to be if I have, say, 6 incoming phone numbers? (Is that 6 DIDs?)

VOIP.MS runs $0.99 cents per DID, so for 6 "phone numbers", that would be 6 bucks a month. That is on the pay as you go plan. You may want to try an "unlimited" plan for the more often used numbers. I don't talk much on the phone anymore. Most of my normal clients just send me a sms or an email, maybe leave a voice mail, and remote in and fix the problem, or if I have keys, swing by at night and fix it if it's none critical. I find that trying to walk someone through a problem over the phone, to be a waste of time if the troubleshooting goes past "are the lights on?".

I'm really clueless about how this would all work. Can you take me through, step by step, how I would go about switching 6 different GV numbers/accounts over to a SIP provider like Vitelity?

You have to "unlock" the number from the google side.
https://support.google.com/voice/answer/1316844?hl=en

Then you submit a request to port in the number to Vitelity or VOIP.MS. They will processes your request, and give you a date that the change will take place. Around 2 week or so for me. When that date hits, that number will be connected your provider account. Be sure before you do this that everything is up and running first. Buy a DID just to test with so you are not making a last second scramble to get it all working. It will make the change over smoother.

OK, but how? Where? Do I configure this using FreePBX? Or somewhere else? Where exactly do I go to configure this? Exactly what settings do I change?
Have you installed PIAF before? Just trying to get an idea of where to start.

OK, so basically, Krista would park the call and call me. Then I could either pick up the parked call or - if I'm unable to take it, she could pick up the parked call then put them through to my voice mail. Is that correct? Again, where/how exactly do I set this up?

You turn on call parking in PIAF. It creates an extension of 70 that you transfer calls to. So she hits the transfer button # works on most non-smart phones, then hangs up and calls you. If you tell her to tell them to take a hike, she dials 70, tells them she to talk to the hand, and transfers them to your voicemail.
I don't do exactly this with my setup, so I would need to play around with it and hammer out the details, but call parking is just turning on a module in FreePBX and setting what kind of music they hear and other options.

What do I use to do that and where do I go to make those changes?

In the inbound route. Call flow works like this.
You add a "trunk" to your provider. Be it Vitelity whoever. A trunk can have many incoming or outgoing DIDs on it. The provider will give you the settings to use.
Then you setup an inbound route. In short, it matches an incoming call to a set of conditions. AKA, A call on the 555-1234 number will have the caller ID changed and directed to extension 200. Stuff like that. You can have many inbound routes.
Outbound routes are the same way, just for outgoing calls. Extension 200 dialed 11-555-1234 so change the outgoing number to 555-1111 and send the call out through Vitelity.

It's great that all this is possible - but out of everything you said above, that's about all I understood. Sounds like your "secret DID" is kind of the key to a lot of cool stuff. What makes it a "secret DID"? Is it just that you don't give the number out to other people? Or is it more than that?

My "secret DID" is just a phone number I don't give out. It connects to a menu system just like the "Welcome to Acme Inc, press 1 for sales, 2 for tech support". It's called an IVR. Only mine does not have a verbal menu. Someone dials my "secret DID" and they get to listen to Mr Trololo do his magic. You have to know what buttons to press to do anything else.

You mentioned 2 apps. How hard are they to install & configure?
International Dialer is just a app for using calling card. It just dials some digits before dialling the number you want to dial. It works well with the DISA.
CSipSimple is a sip client. VOIP over the internet and all that. When I am on wifi, it connects and my cell phone becomes extension 200. I place calls over it without eating into my cell minutes.

What's a DISA???
Direct Inward System Access. It lets me call it, and dial back out. Just like using a long distance calling card.
I call my "secret" DID, press 5, enter my pin code, then I get a dial tone to dial out of my system. In reality, I use the International Dialer app to do it, but that is what it does.
It's the why I can change my caller ID when I dial out.

I don't need a "Do Not Disturb" for my iPhone; I just need the system to - at a particular time - switch the outgoing announcement and send callers to the main voicemail box -- and NOT route them to the ATA or to my/Krista's iPhone.
You can do that. Instead of the inbound route going direct to an extension, it will go to a "time condition" setup to route the call depending on time.

SipGate is out of the equation now, and MJ will be, too. I'm open to a different SIP provider but depending on what I'm going to pay to have 6 numbers via a SIP provider, I may try my damndest to just make GV work.

Like I said, I had issues with GV routing to a DID. They do some funky stuff and I documented it here and how I got around it. And they have made it very clear they don't want outside system using their system anymore. I gave up and figured it's worth paying $1.50 a month at least to get support.
That, and by calling over SIP most of the time, I was able to cut my cell plan to a $30 a month plan, so even having 5 DIDs in my stable, I am still saving money.

Ernie Pantuso

Reaction score
I hope it's OK to resurrect this old thread. Everything I said above still applies and I'm finally ready to proceed with this after 13 months on the back burner! I now have some additional help, now; I've hired a very sharp part-time employee and it's helped to free up some time for me to work on projects that have been on a back burner for months and months. I have the parts for a dedicated server that I'm going to have him build " then I'll get PIAF installed and get a Vitelity account set up. Once I'm actually hands-on with PIAF, I'll try to setup (on my own) the features above - and I'll ask for help here if I need it.

Porch - I hope you're still out there - thanks again for all your help above. I have one follow-up question about your "secret DID"... Is there any reason why it has to be an unknown number? I get almost no calls to the number for my LLC/parent company; is there any reason not to just use that number for my "secret DID"?

Porch

Guru
Reaction score
I am still here. I would have to read through all the post to remember what I said.

You don't have to have a secret DID. You can use any number you want. It's all how you want it setup. I have a client that calls the main business number with the on-call phone and it triggers that to switch the system into night mode.

In the year or so since this topic started, I have changed things a bit. I found SIP calling using CSimpleSip or other Android/IPhone clients just not to be up there in quality and lag. Maybe it's just my Nexus 4. Don't know. I switched to an unlimited pay as you go plan and now do all my calling with DISA on my cell. At home, I have other dedicated hardware phones that do a nice job.

I should also point out, make sure you have a very good Internet connection before you use VOIP. I have one client that was on a super fast cable connection, but at random during the day, it would lag out with high ping times. Not really noticeable with web browsing, but bad for voice. The cable company could not care less.

Ernie Pantuso

Reaction score
I am still here. I would have to read through all the post to remember what I said.
Please, no need to waste your time.
You don't have to have a secret DID. You can use any number you want. It's all how you want it setup. I have a client that calls the main business number with the on-call phone and it triggers that to switch the system into night mode.
Thats pretty slick!
[/quote]In the year or so since this topic started, I have changed things a bit. I found SIP calling using CSimpleSip or other Android/IPhone clients just not to be up there in quality and lag. Maybe it's just my Nexus 4. Don't know. I switched to an unlimited pay as you go plan and now do all my calling with DISA on my cell. At home, I have other dedicated hardware phones that do a nice job.[/quote]i was planning to explore both avenues. Did you ever try a different soft phone app? I wonder if the problem could have been with CSimpleSip? Did the unlimited pay-as-you-go plan raise your bill much? What hardware phones do you recommend?
I should also point out, make sure you have a very good Internet connection before you use VOIP. I have one client that was on a super fast cable connection, but at random during the day, it would lag out with high ping times. Not really noticeable with web browsing, but bad for voice. The cable company could not care less.
How do I make sure of that? My internet connection seems pretty fast & stable... I currently use Google Voice with a MagicJack and lag hasn't bee a problem.

Porch

Guru
Reaction score
I have tried all the softphone apps. Every single one. Some better then others, some missing features I need. All insert a bit of delay into the call. I can do a *43 echo test and hear it. On my hardwired phone, it's almost instant, very little delay, like a POTS phone.

I have several clients that tend to jump right in when they hear any delay in my talking. So we end up talking over each other when I use a SIP client.

I have used Aastra and YeaLink with no problems.

I switched to StrightTalk on my cell, $45 a month for unlimited everything. So my monthly bill went up $15. Not bad.

If you are good with MJ and Google Voice, then I would suspect your Internet connection is fine.

Ernie Pantuso

Reaction score
Well, I got PIAF installed. I went with "yellow". Next I plan to set up an account with Vitelity. For now, just to test and get my feet wet, I'm going to install a softphone on my iPhone 6. I'll keep everyone posted! (I think maybe I'll start a new thread.)

TwigsUSAN

Guru
Reaction score
What was the reason for choosing yellow. Recommended around here is Green.

mainenotarynet

Not really a Guru - Just a long time user
Reaction score
IIRC yellow is Asterisk 12.

I wanted to try that for some of the new features (PJSIP for one) that only work in 12.

I tried twice and install failed both times so I went to Green until 12 becomes standard in the future. (I was using SL6.5 on my VPS

As to why Ernie went with yellow, I don't know.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mark-curtis
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.