NEWS FLASH MustRead: Everything Is Broken

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
If you read nothing else this week, read this article.

Scary :001 9898: indeed...

1*EZFkB9n5MhZx1wGP7PkTIw.jpeg

https://medium.com/message/81e5f33a24e1

1*URRDe1xA90uV3p0W6VIMvg.png

mbellot

Reaction score
Thanks Ward, that was an excellent read.

It sadly confirms what I've intuitively known for a couple decades. And (from personal involvement/experience) the hardware running the software isn't designed any better.

magna.vis

Guru
Reaction score
I love Quinn Norton so much! Great artical. Hysterical images as well- though, I think most of us have suspected the Ubuntu one for some time.

mbellot

Reaction score
When I am up late drinking thinking, I wonder how much code out there is done by well meaning but clueless amateurs. I'm sure many would place me in that category, and yet nothing stops me from creating or contributing code to OSS projects. It is just so easy to search github for a library or class, check that the license permits and steal incorporate it into whatever you are doing.

garbage in is gospel out
turtles all the way down
pay no attention to the man behind the curtain
Respect mah authoritah!

You forgot the most important cliche'

House of cards

billsimon

Reaction score
People used to expect and respect computer bugs. Yes, even big ones.

Now, the general public, who do not understand that software is a complex set of instructions provided by humans to tell computers what to do, expect perfection and cry out when something bad happens.

Expectations need to be kept in check.

PS: C is not a bad language. Guns don't kill people, people kill people. C doesn't cause bugs, programmers cause bugs.

mbellot

Reaction score
C doesn't cause bugs, programmers cause bugs.

I'm not sure I buy this one...

Programmers create bugs, but C is one heck of an enabler.

= vs. == is one of my most favorite. I worked with a programmer that had trained himself to write equality checks "backwards" (constant == variable) so the compiler would yell at him if he forgot and only used one equal sign.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rahee
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.