TIPS Mitel Announce with Notify

phonebuff

Guru
Reaction score
Have customer that wants me to implement a feature we have being doing for a long time on Asterisk on a Mitel 3300 ICP and was wondering if we have anyone here how works with this product..

Specifically, we want to replicate an Announce with Notify feature. Where the customer calls an Extension (DID) and the system answers, sends a message to SMS / E-mail about the caller and then plays an announcement that "____________ has been notified to _______. Thank you." an hangs up.

The Context in Asterisk is easy, anyone know how to replicate it on Mitel ?

TIA --

dicko

Still learning but earning
Reaction score
Knowing that device quite well, I have found it better to replace the Mitel voicemail with the Asterisk one because basically the Mitel software can't do that, (not trivial, you will need FXO's on the asterisk box to be connected to FXS's on the Mitel, write a good externnotify script on the asterisk box to light the Mitel MWI lamps and send your sms/email notifications, add an "extension knowledgeable" ARS route to send unanswered calls to the asterisk box via "first alternate" and a few other things . . .) If you are VERY comfortable with Mitel and Asterisk dialplan programing then it will help ;-)

Last edited:

phonebuff

Guru
Reaction score
Okay,

Thank you for your reply -- But to clarify what the customer wants -- On asterisk I would take an announce context, add a system() call to a php script to do the "notification", that call was received from extension xyz1 and then play the announce, followed by a hang up -- No actual Voice Mail is involved here, any way to add that system call / php script to the Mitel ? My perception is it's a closed box!

The issue with using an Asterisk box is just what you talked about, how many simultaneous call paths does one provide for between the Mitel and Asterisk installations with what transport medium.

Does the Mitel 3300 ICP support SIP calling ?

Thanks,

dicko

Still learning but earning
Reaction score
You can interface with the mitel with FXO,PRI,RBS and SIP (if you have the necessary but quite expensive per-channel licenses) trunking.
For outbound calls to the asterisk box, you can use "digit modification" to insert the current extension with {E} the extension calling and {F} the original ANI/DNIS.
To manipulate the MWI's you will need the call to originate from a hunt group with voicemail attribute, so that kind of limits you to FXS's as such for MWI "callbacks" you would want to make that hunt group DND and provide a first alternative route to the wideband trunking .
I usually use PRI's for the voice calls if the traffic is significant, for the MWI traffic calls which is asyncronous but only a couple of seconds long, queue from a linksys 8000 or a Grandstream GXWxxxX.
No, the Mitel is not directly scriptable, (as you know the interface ONLY works on IE so maybe microsoft basic ;-) ), but you can perhaps use expect and telnet to get to the old legacy SX2000 session for what that is worth.
All the above suggests that you might consider putting the Asterisk box "inline" between the PSTN and your Mitel, then what you seek to achieve is pretty trivial as you are in control of all calls.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
serhii
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.