SOLVED Method to allow users to access the user panel to look at voice mail and call monitor records.

SteveS

Reaction score
I posted this question in the open discussion weeks ago and have not gotten any replies.​
I need to have several users access their call monitor records but do not want to give them entire system access.​
I have searched the documentation but can not find a method to allow users to access the user panel to look at voice mail and call monitor records. It seems that PIAF provides access differently than Freepbx for enhanced security reasons. Is there a simple way to allow a user access without providing access to the entire system.

I am a simpleton so please give me step by step info.

I did find this post that is a workaround but would like to hear if this is PIAF approved and the best route to take.

Thanks in advance

This is the post I found from early 2012
Since this is a FreePBX problem, I googled FreePBX recordings password admin assets and found this post: freepbx.org/forum/freepb...ication-prompts-for-ari-after-upgrade-to-2-10

On 7/17/2012, warmbowski has a response where they indicate that they used some code in the pbx.conf file to get around the error. I tried the suggested fix but found that it still gave everyone access to the admin side of FreePBX, which I don't want. But using this example as a springboard, I modified pbx.conf to look like the following:​
#No password protect /var/www/html/admin/assets/css​
<Directory /var/www/html/admin/assets/css>​
Order Allow,Deny​
Allow from all​
Satisfy any​
</Directory>​
#No password protect /var/www/html/admin/assets/js​
<Directory /var/www/html/admin/assets/js>​
Order Allow,Deny​
Allow from all​
Satisfy any​
</Directory>​
#No password protect /var/www/html/admin/assets/images/jquery-ui​
<Directory /var/www/html/admin/assets/images/jquery-ui>​
Order Allow,Deny​
Allow from all​
Satisfy any​
</Directory>​
#Password proctect /var/www/html/admin​
<Directory /var/www/html/admin>​
AuthType Basic​
AuthName "Restricted Admin Area"​
AuthUserFile /usr/local/apache/passwd/wwwpasswd​
Require user wwwadmin maint​
</Directory>​
#Password protect /var/www/html/panel​
<Directory /var/www/html/panel>​
AuthType Basic​
AuthName "Restricted Area"​
Require user wwwadmin maint​
</Directory>​
#Password protect /var/www/html/maint​
<Directory /var/www/html/maint>​
AuthType Basic​
Require user maint​
</Directory>​
#Password protect /var/www/html/meetme​
<Directory /var/www/html/meetme>​
AuthType Basic​
Require user wwwadmin maint meetme​
</Directory>​
I restarted httpd and so far it seems to be working without prompting for the maint username and password.

As always, YMMV, but I hope this helps someone else along the way.
anomaly0617, Feb 26, 2014
rjaiswal likes this.​
SteveS, Aug 1, 2014

anomaly0617

Reaction score
Hi SteveS,

I'm a little late seeing this, but hopefully this response will still be relevant.

As of the latest version of FreePBX and with /ucp instead of /recordings, this post becomes irrelevant. It appears that FreePBX fixed the issue I was describing above and made it possible to access /recordings (and subsequently /ucp) without needing an .htaccess username and password.

As far as whether or not the solution above was PIAF approved, that would likely be up to Ward to decide. I will say that my inbox did not flood with "Boy that's a stupid idea" responses, though, for what that's worth.

Good luck!
-Anomaly0617

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mark-curtis
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.