I HAVE A DREAM Looking to hire a PIAF expert. Would this be a good fit for you?

daj

Reaction score
About us:
We currently have need for five phones at our small home health agency. We offer non-skilled companion and personal care services to our elderly clients where our staff go into the home to provide care for periods of 3 to 24 hours per day, and between 1 and 7 days per week, depending on the client. Because of the very personal nature of the care we provide and the average age of our clients, we try to have a human being answer the phone 24/7.

What we have now (inherited from previous owner):
Presently a Vonage phone system with two ATAs are being used to provide four incoming lines to 4-line analog phones. The Vonage ATAs are presently on a 3mb/1mb Brighthouse Networks cable Internet service that is dedicated to the phone system. When people call the main number it rolls over to lines 2, 3, or 4 if lines are busy. The numbers that correspond to lines 2, 3 and 4 are not given out but are presently visible to people if we call from those lines. There is a Muzak box that injects on-hold audio tied into the system. For some unknown reason incoming calls regularly get disconnected. We are using this as an excuse to upgrade to current technology. At night the phones are forwarded to the cell phone of whoever is on call.

The new system:
We are interested in setting up a PIAF or similar system hosted by rentpbx.com or similar. We already have two Aastra 57i CT phones, 1 Aastra 57i, and two Linksys SPA962s in storage. Because the heavy lifting has already been done with the Aastra phone programming as shown here: http://nerdvittles.com/?p=207, we would like to benefit from that effort. We don’t have to use the Linksys phones and could acquire a couple of additional Aastra’s to keep everything the same in the office. With everything we’ve written here, we are open to suggestions. You guys are the experts. . .

We have an unused number (several actually) parked with voip.ms that we can use for testing and then port the main business number to voip.ms or similar once we know that everything is working well.

The system needs to be able to do the following during work hours:
Callers call in to a single phone number and all phones in the office will ring. Anyone can answer. We need to be able to transfer phones within the office, either attended or unattended and would like to do attended transfers to the mobile phones of staff that are on the road. We would like to set up a table/database of known phone numbers that will have a code prepended to the name to indicate whether the caller is a client, a caregiver, a referral source, or someone else. This is because we are new owners and don’t know who’s who yet and this will help us keep things straight. Although we might not start off with this, we want to have the ability to handle calls differently depending on the callers caller-ID. For example, if a caregiver calls in, it would be nice to have their calls ring first to the schedule coordinator, but any of us could answer it or let it go to the schedule coordinator’s voice mail. If a referral source calls, it will go simultaneously to first the nurse’s phone and cell phone and then to the rest of the office if the nurse doesn’t pick up within a certain number of seconds. Whenever a call is placed on hold, we want to play an audio file of our choosing that talks about the business.

The system needs to be able to do this after business hours:
At this point all after-hours calls are forwarded to a single individual’s cell phone and that is what we will start with. We would like the option to make it so that we can send the caller to different numbers depending on the caller ID of who is calling, as follows: For all calls except from a referral source calls, calls will ring to the cell of the person on call that night. If a referral source calls, it will ring the nurse’s cell phone. Voicemail needs to be available if someone doesn’t answer their cell phone. I suppose that it could be the actual cell phone voice mail if that is necessary, but it would be nice for the system to bring them back to leave a message on the business phone system which would then alert the appropriate individual to the voice message by sending a text message or other notification and maybe even transcribe the message to email.

Faxing:
We do send and receive a modest number of faxes using a traditional fax machine. We would like to change it so that our faxes come in via email and fax out via email or any other system. If this is not practical within PIAF, then we can do it with any existing service already on the market.

Time Frame:
We are ready to get started immediately with this project.

Calling all capable individuals:
We would like to work with someone who has the knowledge to do what we have listed above on the PBX side and is also familiar with the setup on the Aastra phones so that they will work as described in the linked article. We would like to find someone that can continue to work with us in the future when we need to make changes or fix problems. We want someone that understands the need to get things set up as cost effectively as practical but, at the same time, we do understand the specialized nature of this work. We do not want a system that we are clueless about and we would like to discuss the options for us to observe what is happening in the setup process, if that is doable. Yes, we realize that that might add to the total time it takes to set things up but understanding what is going on in the back end can help us learn about the capabilities of the system and can help us make better decisions going forward. We know that some people don’t like to have someone looking over their shoulder so we’ll forgo that if necessary – I know that I don’t like someone looking over my shoulder in many situations.

If you think that you might be a fit for working with us, please PM me or provide contact information in this thread and I will get back to you, hopefully in a very timely manner.

Porch

Guru
Reaction score
I might be able to help you. But I advise against routing based on caller ID. I tried this for some time with Google Voice. It created a lot of confusion. Clients would call me from their cell phone, home phone, or even their office phone and be on a different number then their main number. Don't forgot, if they have a older key PBX system, and many do, the phone system will call out with whatever line is free, so depending on load, I will see the incoming caller ID of 555-0001. 555-0002 or 555-0003, etc. So for one business, I would have to have 6 phone numbers listed in Google Voice. And I only knew their 6 numbers because I set the phone system up.

Why is this a problem? Because if the greeting is suddenly different, it really confuses people and they hang up, call back again, and maybe leave a message, or give up.

This turns out to be a huge problem with the elderly clients of my clients. I put a new phone system in one client's office and added a simple greeting "Thank you for calling <business name>, please wait on the line and we will be with your shortly, or dial 1 for <department> or 2 for <other department>", etc. Many of the callers got confused, didn't bother to listen to the message and just hanged up and called the people on their cell phones. It was chaos for a few weeks.

I gave up on my phone and I now I have one greeting no matter who calls me, or what number they dial.

If you want something personalised, have a separate DID that's unlisted and goes direct to your cell or custom greeting. Give it to your client and call it a VIP hotline. It makes them feel special.

rastasean

Reaction score
>If you want something personalised, have a separate DID that's unlisted and goes direct to your cell or custom greeting.

My idea for this is have multiple DIDs and when client X calls you, prefix their CID with some code or company name that way you know how to answer the call. This may be very :beta1:, though.

daj

Reaction score
>If you want something personalised, have a separate DID that's unlisted and goes direct to your cell or custom greeting.

My idea for this is have multiple DIDs and when client X calls you, prefix their CID with some code or company name that way you know how to answer the call. This may be very :beta1:, though.

Are you suggesting that, instead of having a table with the caller IDs of our clients, caregivers, referral sources, etc. that we have prepended with a code to their caller ID to know which group they are from, we instead give out a different DID number to each of those groups so we will know what group they belong to based on which incoming number they use? If that is what you are suggesting, I did suggest the same to the other three/four in the office but they were concerned that it would not be practical since there is a single number that has been known by all for so long that it would be very hard to get the various groups to start calling a different number. It would probably also necessitate a different business card be given out to each of the various groups etc.

The most important thing for me right now is to know which group a caller is from and it doesn't really matter if I don't get it 100% correct such as when someone calls from a different number than I have in my caller ID database. If I did take it to the next step to actually route calls based on caller ID, it could be just as simple as using the caller ID to determine whose phone do we have ring first in the office. If that person was already on the phone, it would probably ring to all phones. Normally you route people to the right person in the office with an IVR but we want to have a human answer the phone, instead of an IVR. It seems like if we can mostly have the caller ID route to the right person in the office when the phone is first answered, that our efficiency will be increased accordingly and, in this case, it would be largely transparent to the caller except that right now the phone can be answered by anyone in the office. That would still be the case if a call was routed to someone who was already on the phone (very common), in which case someone else would have to pick up the call. In the thread above, Porch was concerned that routing calls based on caller ID could cause confusion the first time a caller called from a different number and were routed differently, especially when it was an elderly person calling. I think that keeping routing largely transparent to the user would greatly eliminate confusion to the caller. Am I making any sense here?

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
What would ease the complexity a bit would be to build your own database of frequent callers. Something like AsteriDex would work fine, but there are many others. If you built the entries with a 3/4-letter prefix with part of the company name, it would be easy to automate the redirection of the inbound calls and also would help the receptionist, e.g. IBM-Mary Smith, GOOG-T. Rex. Just a thought.

daj

Reaction score
What would ease the complexity a bit would be to build your own database of frequent callers. Something like AsteriDex would work fine, but there are many others. If you built the entries with a 3/4-letter prefix with part of the company name, it would be easy to automate the redirection of the inbound calls and also would help the receptionist, e.g. IBM-Mary Smith, GOOG-T. Rex. Just a thought.

That's exactly what I am envisioning. In fact, I am unclear what other options there would realistically be, for what I am envisioning, other than building a database of frequent callers with prepended codes on the names. I suspect that a database of 200 name/number combinations would cover 90%+ of the calls we receive. BTW, do all phones limit the caller ID to the same length as per what the phone company transmits or can some phones (specifically the Aastra 57i) accept longer names if they are coming from a custom database that would have longer names? What are the limits? Thanks.

Porch

Guru
Reaction score

That is a good idea, but it brings up a few questions.
Does pattern matching work on the caller id field of an inbound route?
If so, does it work with letters or just numbers?
Does the inbound route look to AsteriDex to get the Caller ID before picking the destination?

I also found this module that may do caller ID based routing,
http://pbxinaflash.com/community/index.php?threads/new-freepbx-smartroutes-module.9555/
but it also may be too complex.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bellabos
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.