IVR timeout go to voicemail?

edisoninfo

Guru
Reaction score
I have an IVR setup following one of the articles on Nerd Vittles. It gives the message to press '1' and the system dials out to my cell phone and connects the call to me. Works great. The other part of the message says to press '2' to leave me a voicemail. Works also. But, I would like the 't' Timeout destination to not just play a message but to go to voicemail.

I'm trying to figure out how to make it so the callers do not have to press '2' to leave a voicemail. It should just wait a few seconds to see if they press '1', then if not, go to voicemail like normal. I hate them having to press '2'.

TheShniz

Guru
Reaction score
Maybe I don't understand your question... but just set 't' to whatever you want with a timeout (e.g. 2 seconds). You could do a straight transfer to voicemail, or you could pass it through an Announcement, and then to voicemail.

edisoninfo

Guru
Reaction score
Back when I used straight Asterisk and hand edited the .conf files, it was simple. But using the FreePBX gui, I'm not sure how to do it. There is a timeout pull-down but it appears to only have recorded messages in it. I don't see any "destinations". If I read it right it is asking which message to play before it loops back to the top of the IVR. I don't want it to loop at all, and I don't want it to play any messages, just wait x seconds for the user to press '1', and then timeout to voicemail directly.

TheShniz

Guru
Reaction score
I still don't understand the confusion... should be (in any release of FreePBX) a 'text field' for 'timeout' expecting a number in seconds (not a pull-down). In your case, you'd put in a small number like '2'. Then create an option for 't' with a destination of whatever/voicemail/announcement. Are you sure you're looking in the IVR aka Digital Receptionist aka Automated Attendant section?

Updated:
timeout.gif

edisoninfo

Guru
Reaction score
Thank you for your patience but yes, I know where the seconds count goes. I'm trying to find where to configure the 't' destination after that times out. There is a "Timeout Message" pull-down that I was referring to which is just a list of messages to play. I don't want any messages. So I guess the confusion is mine. Where do I config the 't' option in the gui? Down below where you normally put the '1' and '2' in the little boxes to specify where it goes when a person presses a 1 or 2, can I put a letter 't' in the box instead of a number? If so, than OK, that was easy, just not obvious.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Put a 't' where you'd normally put a number such as 1, 2, or 3.

TheShniz

Guru
Reaction score
Put a 't' where you'd normally put a number such as 1, 2, or 3.

^^^ Yep Yep, what he said! :rolleyes:

The new options in the IVR module are very nice & helpful, but they do clutter things up a bit (could use some organization)... I see now how you could be confused. Don't forget there's also the Invalid option as well.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bellabos
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.