SOLVED issues installing 20650 on Hyper-v 2012

MrBostn

Guru
Reaction score
Install flies through then upon reboot it hangs on "starting atd"

during boot there's some text in yellow but it goes so fast I can't read it.

PIAF 20644 and 20645 both have been installed on same server.

atsak

Guru
Reaction score
That sounds like a clock problem of some sort since that's a scheduled task daemon I think. I can't tell you how to solve it. How much memory did you allocate to the VM?

MrBostn

Guru
Reaction score
That sounds like a clock problem of some sort since that's a scheduled task daemon I think. I can't tell you how to solve it. How much memory did you allocate to the VM?

1GB I'll bump it up.

MrBostn

Guru
Reaction score
I bumped it up to 2GB-it got further but the screen turned all yellow. I see some references to a video driver issue.

atsak

Guru
Reaction score
Hmm. Maybe the CentOS hyper v drivers suck. See if you can manually install the current direct from MS ones somehow.

darmock

PIAF Developer
Reaction score
yup we develop in 1024 machines however recommended for use is minimum of 2gb. We are using 1.8 prox/vmware wks and esxi/ virtual box/ xen with no problems yet. Kdump is a well known problem in tight memory situations.

Tom

MrBostn

Guru
Reaction score
For kicks I made it 4GB. It gets past atd, but then boots to a yellow screen. (this is all within Hyper-V 2012) I'll work on it after Christmas and post an update.

Merry Christmas everyone. Thank you to Tom and Ward (and many others in this forum) for a great distro and their continued support.

atsak

Guru
Reaction score
Sorry I am on vacay I can't help you with this (ok that's not fair. i don't want to help at the moment because I am in Hawaii and it is REALLY really nice here, so I do not feel like doing anything work like other than playing on the forum). Maybe next week I will see if I can duplicate it.

Merry Christmas all.

MrBostn

Guru
Reaction score
I just tried with 8GB allocated to it. Screen turns yellow on me. Perhaps because I'm using rdp to get to the Hyper-V host...

Will test when I get back to the office Dec 30.

MrBostn

Guru
Reaction score
Just tried a vhd as opposed to vhdx and no difference. 20644 installs fine on the same setup.

darmock

PIAF Developer
Reaction score
hmmm there were some "improvements" listed from centos in 6.5 that were not there in 6.4. Keep me posted if you guys figure it out so we can patch it on the back end here.

Tom

MrBostn

Guru
Reaction score
Well Tried a reinstall of 20650 and no joy.
So everyone is clear where this is failing.
Insert ISO into Hyper-V guest. T
Turn on guest
Guest boots to piaf iso. After it installs (CentOS) the disk ejects and the VM restarts to a yellow screen.
Allocating 4GB RAM to the guest.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
So much for the assertion that CentOS upgrades never break anything. :oops:

darmock

PIAF Developer
Reaction score
Amen to that brother! You could always try using the old 20645 ISO and then, "WHEN WE ARE SURE", we will release OS upgrade path via update-source..... HOWEVER... no warranty express or implied as update-source shall forever be EXPERIMENTAL.

Tom

MrBostn

Guru
Reaction score
For kicks I downloaded CentOS 6.5 (32 bit) and it worked fine. It boots to version 2.6.32-431.e16.i686

darmock

PIAF Developer
Reaction score
and the centos iso contains more stuff than the piaf ISO thus probably why it works. The real challenge for someone is to figure out which rpms need to be added to our ISO.

Tom

atsak

Guru
Reaction score
It's seemingly the video driver (unsurprisingly). During boot there's this message (very hard to catch)

fb: conflicting fb hw usage hyperv_fb vs VESA VGA - removing generic driver

I don't know what this means - Tom does it mean anything to you?

atsak

Guru
Reaction score
Tee hee. Remove vga=791 from the grub configuration kernel line.

You owe me beer.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pbxnewguy
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.