TUTORIAL Installing t*f*t*p for Endpoint Management

jehowe

Guru
Reaction score
Is t*f*t*p available and working on the base install? I have a batch of Aastra's that want to know :)

blaze

Reaction score
It appears not. I am looking for the reason for this as well. following the help-pbx command, I ran setup-cisco and recieved an error that /tftpboot/SIPDefault.cnf could not be created. It turned out to be because /tftpboot was not there.
t*f*t*p was not there either.

I had to run yum install t*f*t*p-server which installed both xinetd and t*f*t*p. I hope that I do not break anything by doing this.

jehowe

Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, and please let me know if you encounter any issues. My first install is this week. Managing multiple phones is so easy when they're able to pull configs and firmware from one location.

gaijin

Guru
Reaction score
I did that... but no luck

Is there a firewall that I need to disable?

jroper

Guru
Reaction score
Hi

yum install t*f*t*p-server will not have broken anything.

I've left the t*f*t*p port open ready in iptables, which can be viewed via webmin in the networking / Linux firewall section.

Joe

gaijin

Guru
Reaction score
It seems to be enabled by default:
Accept If protocol is UDP and destination port is 69

jpe

Reaction score
I'm having a hard time figgerin this out.

jroper

Guru
Reaction score
hi

to clarify - copy and paste the following commands

yum -y install t*f*t*p-server
/sbin/chkconfig --level 345 xinetd on
/sbin/chkconfig --level 345 t*f*t*p on

the last 2 commands switch on the t*f*t*p server, and make sure it starts next time you reboot.

You can then put your config files for endpoints in /tftpboot

Joe

jpe

Reaction score
Thanks for clearing it up for me. Working fine now.

orenyny

Reaction score
How to edit the config files

Can anybody point me to some resources how can you edit the config files for the phones to be placed in the /tftpboot ?
I am using Polycom and GrandStream but information about others like Aastra and Linksys, or any other brand will help as well.
Thanks,
OY

jehowe

Guru
Reaction score
orenyny, it's very easy. You can either edit the file using nano through a terminal window or through the freePBX web gui under Tools->(Maintenance) Config Edit. I have some aastra's that are managed through t*f*t*p and it works beautifully.

I'd imagine Grandstream or Polycom's website or user forums can give you specific instructions on the range of commands/switches that can be used in the files as well.

ysedeyn

Reaction score
I have a Polycom 501. I use Webmin to copy the config files to my local Windows PC, and I use XML Notepad to edit the files. Then use Webmin again to upload.

Yves.

Reaction score
There's a great setup guide for Polycoms here:
http://www.sureteq.com/asterisk/polycom.htm
I wish I'd had that guide when I first set up my phones, it was a steep learning curve at first. Now that I'm running, though, it's great.

You may not need to do the section on setting up DHCP, but instead just manually configure the phones. When the phone first starts up, use the softkeys to enter configuration mode (the default admin password in a Polycom phone is 456) and enter the server address (the IP of your PiaF server) and set the mode to t*f*t*p. Use the rest of the guide to set up the configuration files, and you should be up and running pretty quickly.

Despite some information that states otherwise, you can even use Polycoms in NAT (address translation - meaning across the internet using a firewall on one or both ends) environments. You just have to open the firewall ports on the server end for SIP control (ports 5060-5082 UDP) and audio (10000-20000 UDP). When you add the extension in FreePBX on your PiaF server, make sure NAT is set to yes.

Jeremy
"Do or do not. There is no try." --Yoda

lmatter

Reaction score
Does anyone have a pbxinaflash bitmap logo to replace the TB one that used to load on my cisco 7940?

I hacked one up in gimp, but it looks pretty bad on the phone; I'm not a graphic artist.

For what it's worth, my version is here.

Shadowfire

Reaction score
I also am having a problem loading the t*f*t*p-server by script or by yum. Nither one wantes to install.

I get at the end of yum search to install ...

Nothing to do

any thoughts???

a233856

Reaction score
EPM XML dependent upon Aastra XML scripts?

I'm configuring the EPM softkeys and see that XML URL is an option. I can use a soft key value like:

http://192.168.0.197/aastra/asterisk/cfwd.php?user=$$SIPUSERNAME$$

But when the button is pushed the display shows "File not found". I know this is a dumb question, but I just want to make sure that EMP doesn't have some way to install XML scripts similar. I can install the Aastra XML beta 2 scripts but I don't want to be mixing up anything that would effect my current install.

Thanks for your guidance.

│ PBX in a Flash Version = 1.7.5.7 Running on *KVM* │
│ FreePBX Version = 2.8.1.4 │
│ Running Asterisk Version = 1.8.6.0 │
│ Asterisk Source Version = 1.8.6.0 │
│ Dahdi Source Version = 2.5.0.1+2.5.0.1 │
│ Libpri Source Version = 1.4.12 │
│ IP Address = 192.168.0.197 on eth0 │
│ Operating System = CentOS release 5.7 (Final) │
│ Kernel Version = 2.6.18-274.3.1.el5 - 32 Bit

tm1000

Schmoozecom INC/FreePBX
Reaction score
Well does the file exist in that location or not?

192.168.0.197/aastra/asterisk/cfwd.php

Anything under the 'aastra' folder is from the aastra xml scripts.

a233856

Reaction score
Okay, so I first install the Aastra XML scripts which are used by the End Point Manager to configure the softkeys in the templates for the Aastra phones. Also, I have a couple of Yealink phones and the XML scripts that the End Point Manager is looking for doesn't exist, where would I get those files? Thanks for your patience, I'm slowly getting it.

blanchae

Guru
Reaction score
To test t*f*t*p services

1. On your PiaF server, use Webmin’s File Manager and create a NEW test file called test.txt and save it in /tftpboot directory. This is the directory that ALL t*f*t*p files must reside.

2. On a PC connected to your network, open up a command line prompt

3. Type the following command to access the t*f*t*p server on the Data VLAN:

c:> t*f*t*p –i <server ip address> GET test.txt

4. The file test.txt should download to your PC to the directory where you ran the t*f*t*p command from.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
serhii
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.