Installing apt-swift

wvroger

Reaction score
i have followed the directions on the nerdvittles website without success. the app_swift.so is not loading.

I am running asterisk 1.4.13 do I need to upgrade?

Thanks
Roger

tfunk

Reaction score
I'm running into a similar problem.

Code:
root@pbx:/usr/src/app_swift-0.9.1 $ asterisk -rx "core show application swift"
Your application(s) is (are) not registered
root@pbx:/usr/src/app_swift-0.9.1 $

merlyn

Reaction score
same problem....
Your application(s) is (are) not registered.

order i did it in.
update-scripts
update-fixes
update-source

then did nerdvittle install as instructed.
I could hear the message "hello world" across usb headset but same error message came up about not being being registered when i continued down instructions.

Do we need to be actually registed to not get this message?

To test the install process i reverted to a old snapshot (in vmware ) and redid the entire process. During this snapshot reversion i appeared to have hosed my host OS windows vista 64 ultimate as i cannot use the keyboard or mouse now at all. will work on my probably unrelated host os problem and see if i can get pbxinaflash up and working again. I believe my usb has caused some random error and i will take me a bit to sort it out.

unplugging and replugging in ps2 and usb devices as we speak ...

merlyn

merlyn

Reaction score
ok host computer is up and working again.

pbxinaflash is up and working again. Appears plugging in a usb headset that was working in pbxinaflash before caused all kinds of errors.

to fix it i had to shut down the host machine unplug all ps2 and usb devices. boot KVM (as in kick it across room). didnt help had to continue ...
shutdown 2nd computer on kvm and reboot KVM (as in pick up the kvm and kicked it again across room) and voila everything is happy again.

Now where was I ... oh yeah ..... swift install .... i was just installing a few applications in 1.4 before i tried doing a 1.6 asterisk install .... hummm i think i will just wait a bit on the 1.6 trial ... :wink5:

DISCLAIMER !!!... this was a dramitization ... no KVM switch was actually harmed during the making of this forum post!!!

merlyn

mdot

Reaction score
I'm running into a similar problem.

Code:
root@pbx:/usr/src/app_swift-0.9.1 $ asterisk -rx "core show application swift"
root@pbx:/usr/src/app_swift-0.9.1 $

Same here...

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Well, there were a couple of problems. Thanks for the feedback. Log into your server as root and issue the command: ldconfig

Next, that damn WordPress treatment of quotes bit us in the butt again. Fancy quotes are not the same as regular quotes, nor is the fancy apostrophe the same. So issue these commands:
Code:
sed -i 's|David-8kHz|Allison-8kHz|' /etc/asterisk/swift.conf
amportal restart
asterisk -rx "core show application swift"

If you still have problems, post another message. Thanks again for feedback.

mdot

Reaction score
SUCCESS!!

Thanks Uncle Ward.

Instead of doing the whole thing over again I did the 'ldconfig' then I did this:

Code:
cp /usr/src/app_swift-0.9.1/swift.conf.sample /etc/asterisk/swift.conf

Just to reset the config file before re-running the 'sed' command.

tfunk

Reaction score
That worked just fine for me.

You know your the greatest, right Ward?

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Allison just keeps telling me that over and over. What a great girl. :yesnod:

cvschleich

Reaction score
Anyone know how I could make swift read a file on disk from the dialplan? I'd like to be able to edit the spoken text from a webpage.
(without the danger of breaking the dialplan... )

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
It's not supported real-time in the Asterisk implementation. Because of the licensing scheme, you will be better served by generating the .wav file on the fly from the web site and then letting Asterisk play back the file. You can write out a .wav file in under one second. Playing a text file with Cepstral over the telephone ties up your license for the entire time its playing. :idea:

Reaction score
Do I need to use the 8k voices?

This is a great addition, but I was wondering if I really need to use the 8k voices, or can I use the normal voice so I can use the voice in other situations like home automation? I'd rather not buy a license just for Asterisk.

I know the regular voice works with Asterisk...I've already tried that. But does using the 8k voice as opposed to the normal voice buy me anything?

cvschleich

Reaction score
<slaps forehead>

Thanks, Ward. I should have though of that. I'll just generate the .wav with the command line swift and link to that.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
This is a great addition, but I was wondering if I really need to use the 8k voices, or can I use the normal voice so I can use the voice in other situations like home automation? I'd rather not buy a license just for Asterisk.

I know the regular voice works with Asterisk...I've already tried that. But does using the 8k voice as opposed to the normal voice buy me anything?

What it buys you is .wav files that work with Asterisk without conversion. I don't think you're going to notice a difference for home automation projects.

jrglass

Guru
Reaction score
It's not supported real-time in the Asterisk implementation. Because of the licensing scheme, you will be better served by generating the .wav file on the fly from the web site and then letting Asterisk play back the file. You can write out a .wav file in under one second. Playing a text file with Cepstral over the telephone ties up your license for the entire time its playing. :idea:

How do I generate the .wav file on the fly from the website?

Thanks,

Jeff

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
PHP has a system() function to execute Linux commands, e.g.

swift -f inputfile -o outputfile

Reaction score
What it buys you is .wav files that work with Asterisk without conversion. I don't think you're going to notice a difference for home automation projects.

Ok, I've looked in the source code for app-swift, and it sets the swift voice engine to output at 8kHz. In fact, it is setting the swift engine to output 8kHz ulaw raw output. So I would think that the 16kHz desktop voices would also work fine and generate the same output that the 8kHz voice does.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Only one way to find out. :wink5: Let us know how it goes.

Reaction score
I did the following:

#swift -n Allison -o test.wav "hello world"
#aplay test.wav
Playing WAVE 'test.wav' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 16000 Hz, Mono

Then I did this one:
#swift -n Allison -o test.wav -p audio/sampling-rate=8000 "hello world"
#aplay test.wav
Playing WAVE 'test.wav' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 8000 Hz, Mono

So the standard 16kHz desktop voice generated a 8kHz sample.

Finally, with the Allison 8k voice:
#swift -n Allison-8kHz -o test2.wav "hello world"
#aplay test2.wav
Playing WAVE 'test2.wav' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 8000 Hz, Mono

The WAV file generated by the 8K voice is exactly 200 bytes larger than the other one.

According to voip-info.org, 16bit 8kHz mono is optimal for Asterisk.

gurvy

Reaction score
:( "Your application(s) is (are) not registered"

Can anyone else see where I am going wrong, If I only installed Allison do I need to type David-8kHz as well?
history..
First I Installed Cepstral
Tested it >> "the computer speaks"
Intstalled app_swift-0.9.1 make..and make install.

Very Carefully Typed the following from a root prompt first using ldconfig here is a copy/paste of the routine:

root@pbx:~ $ ldconfig
root@pbx:~ $ sed -i 's|David-8kHz|Allison-8kHz|' /etc/asterisk/swift.conf
root@pbx:~ $ amportal restart
STOPPING ASTERISK
<snip> asterisk reload routine. <snip>
FOP Server Started
root@pbx:~ $ asterisk -rx "core show application swift"

what am i missing?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
serhii
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.