BUG install hangs -- conflicting graphics drivers?

rylen

Reaction score
I am doing a new install of PiaF on a freshly formatted hard drive following these Nerd Vittles directions: http://nerdvittles.com/?p=9526

Everything runs fine* until I get past the step "./piaf3-install". Then the system reboots, shows a number of startup messages, and hangs. The last four lines are:

udev: starting version 147
[drm] Initialized drm 1.1.0 20060810
[drm] radeon kernel modesetting enabled.
fb: conflicting fb hw usage radeondrmfb vs VESA VGA - removing generic driver

I heard things process for a minute. Then it hung. I can reboot, reach that point, and it continues to hang.

I saw an older post by someone with the same problem and am wondering if there is a solution that does not turn off parts of the installation.

Interestingly, I now get two versions of CentOS to choose from. The default boot, 6.6 hangs. An alternative, 6.4 seems to work.

*The lines
sed -i 's|quiet|quiet net.ifnames=0 biosdevdame=0|'/etc/default/grub grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg
fail. I've read elsewhere that they do not apply to all installations and is not a concern.

Bill Boyer

Reaction score
I had to use the basic video driver option on my Centos install as the default install hangs on reboot with a scrambled screen and flashing caps lock and scroll lock lights on the keyboard. This is on the onboard video for the random motherboard the boss decided would work. I also had the same issue with the above sed command, and the grub2-mkconfig command is missing. I skipped over this and continued with the install.

atsak

Guru
Reaction score
Try edit grub and remove the vga=791 line or whatever it is at the end of the kernel command. That fixes video problems on Hyper V - wondering if something similar would work here like the article you mentioned. It's not turning off any part of the install to try that.

rylen

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I've been removing the "vga=791" line and it works.

nickpl

Reaction score
I just wanted to add that I also ran into this issue on Hyper-V (2008 R2). My fix was to change it to vga=773, honestly I don't know enough about Linux kernels/boot options to even know if setting it to anything is important, but I'm assuming their must be a reason PIAF is adding that so I didn't want to delete it altogether.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nikko
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.