GOOD NEWS Incredible PBX Speech-to-Text

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Here's a quick demo of the Speech-to-Text Dialer built into Incredible PBX. Just dial 411, say the name of one of your contacts in AsteriDex, and you get your own Siri-like dialer. Also works for Worldwide Weather reports by dialing 949...

For more details or for tips on installing this on stock PIAF systems, see the CallWho thread.

DaveDog

Reaction score
Works great! I just wish we could get the speech to not sound like from 1983...

PBX@Home

Reaction score
I remember the first sound card I bought, came with a bunch of "computer sound" apps. This was one of the songs that the computer sang, not this fast, but this thread reminded me of it:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4-ytFOS9TI

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Works great! I just wish we could get the speech to not sound like from 1983...

You can. Just use Google's TTS engine instead of Flite. It's built into Incredible PBX as well...

Code:
exten => 333,n,agi(googletts.agi,"Please hold a moment while we look up the meaning of that word.",en)

krzykat

Telecom Strategist
Reaction score
I think I may have asked this before and perhaps it was a TOS issue ...but why is the Google engine not the default over Flite?

DaveDog

Reaction score
If you want to go from Flite to Cepstral, do this:
Code:
vi /var/lib/asterisk/agi-bin/nv-callwho.php
Change "$ttspick = 0;" to "$ttspick = 1;"

Also, I assume in your Asteridex you have the names listed as "Beto (cell)" with the parentheses. That doesn't mix with Asterisk dialplan. Change that to just "Beto Cell".​
Ross Lindsay
Did something someone said on this forum help you or save you money? Show your appreciation by donating to PIAF. (It says NerdVittles, but it will make it to the right place)
PLEASE read this and this first before posting! That will help us help you.
rossiv, Sep 18, 2011 Report
#16 Like Reply

I tried this in both the nv-callwho.php and the nv-callwho2.php files, no change in the voice output. I don't know where to even begin to make google tts work.

rossiv

Guru
Reaction score
I tried this in both the nv-callwho.php and the nv-callwho2.php files, no change in the voice output. I don't know where to even begin to make google tts work.
WOW! Talk about blast from the past! That post is from 2011! Where in the world did you find that?
Anyway - that change would use Cepstral over Flite - not Google TTS. Google TTS is used by modifying Ward's code above.

DaveDog

Reaction score
WOW! Talk about blast from the past! That post is from 2011! Where in the world did you find that?
Anyway - that change would use Cepstral over Flite - not Google TTS. Google TTS is used by modifying Ward's code above.

Ward posted a link to that thread about CallWho, even tho it was a bit old I figured it would work but like I mentioned before,
changing from Flite to Cepstral made no change in the voice output, the posts in the thread made it sound like it would change the voice to Allison.

I'm not smart enough to figure out how to use the info in Wards post above on using google TTS.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Keep in mind that Cepstral has completely changed things since that thread was created. We no longer recommend them for anything. To switch to Google TTS, just replace the lines that include Flite with new lines that look like the example shown above for GoogleTTS.

DaveDog

Reaction score
Too bad about Cepstral.

Still cannot figure out how to do this. Change lines in the nv-callwho.php file? That doesn't seem to be in the format you are describing, so that cannot be it. There's only 1 line in that file that references flite. Here's what I see, I've only included what I believe are the relative lines. It's been years since I've done any coding, so please be gentle.

Code:
 $ttsengine[0] = "flite" ;
$ttsengine[1] = "swift" ;

$ttspick = 0 ;

$tts = $ttsengine[$ttspick] ;

$msg=chr(34)."The dial code you entered in not in the correct format. Goodbye." . chr(34) ;
execute_agi("exec $tts $msg") ;

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Nope. Sorry. You can't use the existing GoogleTTS in AGI scripts (.php files).

Trimline2

Guru
Reaction score
My Commodore 64 had awesome speech to text text to speech c. 1982 (ish). My memory is fallible but I recall it being on par with what flite can do.

300px-Commodore64.jpg

*edit - major typo fixed, no the C64 did not have speech to text.

Sweet memories! Way baaaaack when, I wrote the a telephone directory program that spoke the entry and the phone number after a search. Gosh, I'm aging myself. I uploaded the code to CompuServ and didn't get a lot of bites. If I recall, that program took me 3 weeks to write, but hey, it's out there somewhere in the universe.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nikko
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.