SUGGESTIONS incredible pbx and phone power

Thomas Lageotakes

Reaction score
I am new to pbx world and I am trying to get phone power to work with incredible pbx on my raspberry pi2. I have the following entered into the users.conf

Code:
host=208.64.8.13
username=6305551234
secret=alongpassword
trunkname=phonepower ; GUI metadata
context=DID_phonepower
hasexten=no
hasiax=no
hassip=yes
registeriax=no
registersip=yes
trunkstyle=voip
fromdomain=sip.phonepower.com
fromuser=6305551234
authuser=6305551234
insecure=port,invite
Type=peer
Dtmfmode=inband
Qualify=yes
Bindport=5060
maxexpiry=3600
minexpiry=30
disallow=all
allow=ulaw,g729

I have the following questions
1. What else do I need since it wont register?
2. I notice the other sample files/providers on incredible pbx have a file called credentials_provider.conf. But if i create a voip-sip trunk, it does not create a credentials file. Looks like it places everything in the users.conf file. Am I supposed to just use the users.conf file?
3. Why does the system keep putting "GUI metadata" next to the provider name. For example see trunk name above. I keep removing it but it keeps reappearing.
4. Doing some research I came across a registration string. What file do I add that information to? Something like register=6305551234:[email protected]/6305551234

I used the following websites to gather information
http://www.phonepower.com/wiki/FreePBX_Configuration
http://www.phonepower.com/wiki/Configuring_Asterisk_To_Use_SIP_Credentials

Thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator:

MGD4me

Guru
Reaction score
Thomas,

You probably want to review the set up instructions provided on PhonePower's web site a little more closely. It's very easy to gloss over a step or two when something is new or unfamiliar to us. In particular, notice this statement at the top of their FreePBX Configuration page:

Our SIP Trunking package offers IP Authentication instead of Registration

So, NO registration string is required. Instead, they need to know what your public IP address is to identify you as a legitimate subscriber, and where to direct incoming calls to. Generally, this would mean that you would need a fixed IP address, and would not be work if your internet provider assigns you a variable IP via DHCP.

To be honest, I did not read through all of PhonePower's documentation, since we don't know much about your particular situation, whether you have a fixed or variable IP address. Their configuration guide looks pretty straight forward, so let's start with their initial basic requirement, and whether or not you meet their needs.

Back to you...

MGD4me

Guru
Reaction score
I had another look at PhonePower's site, and the more I poked around, the more I'd be inclined to stay away, unless you want to go their SIP Trunking route. The web site says:

SIP Trunking allows you to connect your IP-PBX to Phone Power's network to leverage our industry leading international rates, our flat-rate domestic termination and our vast origination network.

You may get your system to work with them, but I found their willingness to support third party hardware sorely lacking. Their residential/small business solution appears to work (my understanding) only with an ATA supplied by them, or a BYOD device which they will lock down. There doesn't seem to be any support for an asterisk-based PBX with this plan. I'm basing my opinion on the following quote from their on-line support forum, the result of a person asking for assistance configuring their BYOD adapter:

I apologize that we are not able to provide you with administrator rights to your adapter. The reason that we do not is because of our experience in the past. When granting customer’s full administrative access, there is a possibility that the customer may input something incorrectly or they may configure the adapter improperly. This is no way stating that you are not capable of configuring or managing your phone adapter. However, we found that by us managing the configuration of the phone adapter, the service will give optimal performance and customers will not experience any interruption or issues with our service. As for the configuration, we cannot provide that because the configuration contains proprietary information specific to Phone Power. If you would like to manually configure your phone adapter, you can enable SIP credentials. SIP credentials provides the ability to manually configure and manage your phone adapter. If you would like more clarification, or need help enabling SIP credentials, please call (888) 607-6937, option 3 for support. Our support hours are Monday-Friday 6 AM – 7 PM PST, and weekends, 6 AM – 4 PM PST. You can also send an email to [email protected], or start a chat session at the included link. I hope this was useful.

Two other comments: You mentioned that "you do have a static IP at work". But are you trying to use your Rpi at work, or from home, with a dynamic IP. I wasn't sure about that statement which applied.

Second, you *should(tm) be able to configure your Trunk via the GUI, and not have to resort to editing conf files. The GUI is "just" a code generator, and will put all the necessary stuff in the right place for you, automatically.

Personally, I would find another VoIP provider, and there are plenty to choose from that are much easier to work with. Also, there are plenty of people around here that have tons of experience, who could better answer questions with those. I haven't seen much discussion on this board regarding PhonePower, so perhaps that also says something. But, if you do succeed in making this work, I'm sure others would like to learn from your experience.

ostridge

Guru
Reaction score
Hi I know nothing about phone power.
You don't say what version of incrediblepbx but you are clearly using the asterisk GUI and not the incredibleGUI. I had been using the asterisk GUI on my previous setup but moved over to the iGUI when my version (below) came available. The credentials set up bit is quite different in the iGUI which is a sort od FreePBX but without the commercial modules. Somewhere on this forum there is some tutorial info hoto setup the credentials app for a new provider not in the pre set up 9 providers. I remember a gz file with credentials for DIDsforsale which served as an example how to get the credentials setup the same as the provided 9. That is to say with a credentials-someprovider.conf and an "#include credentials-someprovider.conf " line in the bottom of users.conf. Someone here might have a link to that didsforsale tarball and a pointer to the install code, which (post the crash) I cannot find now on the forum.
The advantage of that was that you get the dialplan setup the same way too, and you need to provide the prefix digits to cause your pbx to call out via your chosen provider; or to use the trunk failover method; which is elsewhere in that dialplan.

As I said the setup I now use is different and I think a better solution. You know the downside of course the dreaded re-install re-read-the-docs re-learn re-config startover -ugh! or perhaps a spare Rpi to experiment or play with.
The blacklistmod and Lenny Remake only applies to the IncredibleGUI.
Regards

Thomas Lageotakes

Reaction score
I followed the instructions for installing incredible pbx here http://nerdvittles.com/?p=12233. I go to 192.168.10.10 (which is the ip of the pbx) and click the admin button. Then I click on Asterisk gui administration.
Is there another administration gui?
I would be interested in the link for the DIDsforsale howto if someone has it.

OS Version:
Linux raspberrypi 4.1.6-v7+ #810 SMP PREEMPT Tue Aug 18 15:32:12 BST 2015 armv7l GNU/Linux
Asterisk Build:
Asterisk/11.19.0
Asterisk GUI-version : SVN-branch-2.0-r5220

geopeterwc

Guru
Reaction score
I followed the instructions for installing incredible pbx here http://nerdvittles.com/?p=12233.
Thomas Lageotakes ... might I suggest that the version of Incredible and the instructions you are following are somewhat dated. You'll have good luck building the latest and greatest IncrediblePBX for Raspberry Pi2 by following the instructions that are found here:

Incredible PBX 13-12.3-Raspbian7 (http://nerdvittles.com/?p=14787)

You will be getting the latest version of Incredible (including the latest Asterisk, v.13, and the latest GUI, v.12) you're likely to find that improvements have been made along the way will make things more likely to work "out of the box" - even if this version is quite new. My experience so far is that Ward, et. al, have this "Certified" Product missing nothing at this point. Go for it!

Also, check out this tutorial ... has answers to a lot of troubles that novices like myself encounter when trying something "Incredibly" new:

Why Reinvent the Wheel: Incredible PBX GUI Application User’s Guide (http://nerdvittles.com/?p=14612)

/Pete./

Thomas Lageotakes

Reaction score
Wow. Much different. Tech support said the following
"In the registration request the Expires is set wrong - you have it set to 120; it has to be 3600"
I am guesiing I need the following "defaultexpiry=3600" I put that under peer details but they said it was still showing 120. Where do I enter that info?

ostridge

Guru
Reaction score
I followed the instructions for installing incredible pbx here http://nerdvittles.com/?p=12233. I go to 192.168.10.10 (which is the ip of the pbx) and click the admin button. Then I click on Asterisk gui administration.
Is there another administration gui?
I would be interested in the link for the DIDsforsale howto if someone has it.

OS Version:
Linux raspberrypi 4.1.6-v7+ #810 SMP PREEMPT Tue Aug 18 15:32:12 BST 2015 armv7l GNU/Linux
Asterisk Build:
Asterisk/11.19.0
Asterisk GUI-version : SVN-branch-2.0-r5220

Sorry I had to sleep. As geopeterwc says the newer version is the way to go; its no criticism of Asterisk GUI which was a solution for its time but things have moved on. It means new start, do a backup especially of credentials_*.conf and copy/store separately or on windows hdd. The configs generally won't be much use though you may need to refer back. One way is to format annother SDHC or XC card for the new install.
Goodluck

Thanks to geopeterwc for recommending the Astersk 13 version --- Oh bother I need an upgrade script for mine to save re-config from backup.
Regards

Thomas Lageotakes

Reaction score
I did reinstall. Seems a little bit slower but I like the interface. Tech support said the following
"In the registration request the Expires is set wrong - you have it set to 120; it has to be 3600"
I am guessing I need the following "defaultexpiry=3600" I put that under peer details but they said it was still showing 120. Where do I enter that info?

Thomas Lageotakes

Reaction score
Never mind. Found it. It is registered. Testing begins. Any good Linux softphones to test it with while I research the deskphones.

Thomas Lageotakes

Reaction score
What settings did you finally use and do you mind sharing them?

Thank you

I still tinker with it but I am going with voip.ms The pbx is registered with phone power. I was always able to make outgoing calls but incoming calls would work only for a few minutes upon resetting the pbx. Eventually the incoming phone call would go to phone power's voicemail directly. sorry for responding so late.

Code:
Peer Details
host=sip.phonepower.com
username=6305551111
secret=areallylongoassword
hasexten=no
hasiax=no
hassip=yes
registeriax=no
registersip=yes
trunkstyle=voip
fromdomain=sip.phonepower.com
fromuser=6305551111
authuser=6305551111
insecure=port,invite
type=peer
Dtmfmode=inband
Qualify=yes
Bindport=5060
maxexpiry=3600
minexpiry=30
disallow=all
allow=ulaw,g729

Register String
6305551111:[email protected]/6305551111

setting => asterisk sip settings => chansip
change defaultexpiry to 3600
I don't know if this is possible to do under the trunk settings

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leocipriano
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.