FOOD FOR THOUGHT Incredible Backup vs built-in backup and restore module

jeff.h

Guru
Reaction score
I've been using the backup and restore module for years to do two automatic daily backups off all my systems, one for everything without system audio and voicemail and one that is just system audio and voicemail. It in turn FTPs them to a storage server that I am using at another independent location.

This has been working flawlessly for years and I never really looked at Incredible Backup since what I have been doing fits my needs perfectly.

What are the differences between that module and Incredible Backup? I am looking for a reason to either keep doing what I am doing or switch if IB offers me something else.

I did install IB on my new Ubuntu server and ran it, but it apparently just created a file that is twice the size of my normal daily backups in the /tmp directory. Is there a way to FTP or SFTP it to my remote storage, have it run daily and delete backups older than 15 days?

And why is the backup file from IB over 35MB when the ones from the module are only 18MB? It's must be backing up some additional stuff.

I've looked around, but haven't found any definitive documentation on IB, so if someone knows of any please share it with me.

Thanks!

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
You probably need to compare the tar command in the two backups and see what's different (tar -tf will tell you). The advantage of Incredible Backup is it's easy to add or delete directories to meet your own requirements. As for the FTP and SFTP pieces, I haven't added them but it would be easy to do. SCP is another possibility. Once we get the various builds stabilized, I'll wrestle with it some more.

Reaction score
You probably need to compare the tar command in the two backups and see what's different (tar -tf will tell you). The advantage of Incredible Backup is it's easy to add or delete directories to meet your own requirements. As for the FTP and SFTP pieces, I haven't added them but it would be easy to do. SCP is another possibility. Once we get the various builds stabilized, I'll wrestle with it some more.

Just to prevent any confusion, the FreePBX backup module DOES allow users to define additional directories and files which you may want in your backup. To find out how to do this you can visit the FreePBX wiki.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rahee
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.