SOLVED Image size >700MB

Baylink

Guru
Reaction score
I'm trying to do my first PIAF install in some time -- did a couple some years back, and they have Just Run.

I downloaded 20624 like, last Thursday night, and when I got to it on Sunday, I discovered that that was no longer current by a couple of point releases. Assuming that updates would pick up the slack, I forged ahead.

That was a bad assumption; the install, among other things, did not compile Asterisk. It showed a message to that effect, but it also said that *that test* was itself beta quality, and might not be accurate, so I let it forge ahead. Nope, it was right.

Aside, now, from the fact that it didn't complain about the version until after not only the DL/burn time (obviously, outside its control), but also the Stage 1 OS install time, it might be understandable that I was frustrated. Even more so that when it was done with the 2 hour build, it launched Asterisk, and did not bother to notice that there was no binary there to launch; it merrily said "Asterisk started", right after "/usr/bin/safe_asterisk: file not found". But I'm ok with that, kinda.

What's frustrating me now is that the new version, which at that point I fell back and started from scratch with, *will not fit on a CD*. And most of these machines I want to put it on won't boot a DVD, even from USB. The 20650 image is 767MB.

800MB CD-Rs are available, but no one in my county seems to stock the things, and I needed to deliver this box last Friday. So waiting for them to arrive is a non-starter.

None of my urgency is the project's responsibility, certainly, but really? Given the amount of stuff the install has to download anyway, why is it again that the base CD image is so big I can't get it on to any used hardware I have here?

Go ahead, have at me.

tycho

Guru (not...)
Reaction score
2.0.4.5.0 is a whole version out of date?

Cause I got that through what I thought were the normal download channels. To wit:

http://nerdvittles.dreamhosters.com/pbxinaflash/downloads/

If that's *not* the usual download channel, then...

Here's the first thing I see when I go to that link:

PBX in a Flash Downloads from SourceForge:pbxinaflash.sourceforge.net

(The stuff posted below that are torrent links)

When I go to SourceForge, I see this:

Users

Download PBX in a Flash files

When I click that link, I see what is shown in the this thumbnail: Capture.JPG

Agreed that the "latest version" link is horribly stale. But, a quick perusal of the files list makes the staleness quotient clear: it shows the 2.0.6.5.0 files date back to December, 2013.

;-P

In all seriousness, jest teasin'!

Baylink

Guru
Reaction score
Well, I didn't have time when I *started* this, Thursday night...

Clearly, my goal was not to install an older major revision.

But, really, whomever is in charge of the Download link at the PIAF website needs to get it pointed the right place.

Baylink

Guru
Reaction score
And, tell me, have I read this right: You can no longer ship an ISO that has the stage 2 install built in *because Red Hat won't let you, and they took over BOTH CentOS and SciLinux*?

Yup: it really is time to roll a distro from scratch.

I find that I'm now *completely* done with RH derivatives, SuSE having gone insane around 12.1 (which was really 12.0); so much so that I'm about to reverse about 18 years of habit, and learn to love .debs.

Baylink

Guru
Reaction score
I'll look at that, Bob, thanks.

Now that I *finally* have reliable hardware under it (in that it will boot and run, in X, the SuSE 12 install that I'm about to overwrite on the drive), I need to figure out why the CentOS 6 installer hangs at "Switching clocksource to tsc", every time. Tried Basic Video too...

Or, I need to switch to the Ubuntu.

Baylink

Guru
Reaction score
Huh. I'd thought I posted a folo here too; after sorting everything else out, I had the Stage one boot hang at TSC clocksource.

Turns out CentOS 6.5 does IPMI, and does it poorly, and hangs; you need to add

ipmi_si.trydefaults=0

to the boot line, and maybe a vga= stanza as well; that solves the hang.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pbxnewguy
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.