TIPS I'm lost. Which PIAF for me ?

kdaffef02

Reaction score
Hi, best forum friends,

As basic Piaf user (from 3 years ago) for a sefl-employed man with Piaf installed on Digital Ocean server. This work smoothly for my configuration :
- Piaf 3.0.6.6 under KVM
- freepbx : 2.11.0.42
- asterisk : 11.14.1

I'm managing 9 trunks and really works great !.
My question is very simple : today, there is many possible configurations as indicated by Ward : Aggregations. I do not understand the differences between these multiple systems, and feel in a road crossing !.

For my small needs, should i keep my present system, or may migrate to another one which must be simple (not very skilled). Which OS should be prefered for next few years ?

Thank you for any advice and direction !!

Regards

tycho

Guru (not...)
Reaction score
Everyone will have their preference. I am currently dabbling with 3 different iterations of PIAF:

(1) Incredible PBX 11 with Asterisk 11/FPBX 11 on my PogoMobile (my "production" PBX for my home). I rarely touch it now; perhaps a dozen trunks and multiple DIDs configured and an uptime currently at 21 weeks. This unit has zero Internet exposure. When on the road I use one of the systems below.

(2) Incredible PBX 12 with Asterisk 12 and FPBX 12. I am running this on a Cloud at Cost Developer 1 Ubuntu 14.04 LTS instance -- their smallest available (I picked one up during a 60% off sale and therefore have a perpetual Linux cloud machine for a one-time payment of $14). It works great for my occasional travel purposes. While an inbound IPComms trunk is configured, I really only use it for outbound calling. And, I recently set it up as an IAX2 machine using the Zoiper app on my Moto X. All works swimmingly.

(3) I recently built a "Gotcha Free PBX 11" with Asterisk 11 and Asterisk GUI on a Digital Ocean Ubuntu 14.04 LTS instance. Mostly just tinkering with this one as I am not yet too familiar with Asterisk GUI.

Keeping an existing system that works perfectly and is new enough to still be secure is always a fine idea. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". For me, (1), above, is probably my "favorite," but perhaps only because of familiarity. I'd say you can't go wrong with IncrediblePBX 11.

If you want something newer, go with Incredible PBX 12.

If you haven't seen this NerdVittles article, go here for the scoop regarding how these all differ:

http://nerdvittles.com/?p=12292

kdaffef02

Reaction score
thank you for this comparison table, may a think that for my needs, gotcha free pbx 11 feets ?. In other hand, Astersiks Gui : is it as simple as freepbx to setup and configure ?.

For me, it's clear : Piaf for ever !

kdaffef02

Reaction score
Everyone will have their preference. I am currently dabbling with 3 different iterations of PIAF:

(1) Incredible PBX 11 with Asterisk 11/FPBX 11 on my PogoMobile (my "production" PBX for my home). I rarely touch it now; perhaps a dozen trunks and multiple DIDs configured and an uptime currently at 21 weeks. This unit has zero Internet exposure. When on the road I use one of the systems below.

(2) Incredible PBX 12 with Asterisk 12 and FPBX 12. I am running this on a Cloud at Cost Developer 1 Ubuntu 14.04 LTS instance -- their smallest available (I picked one up during a 60% off sale and therefore have a perpetual Linux cloud machine for a one-time payment of $14). It works great for my occasional travel purposes. While an inbound IPComms trunk is configured, I really only use it for outbound calling. And, I recently set it up as an IAX2 machine using the Zoiper app on my Moto X. All works swimmingly.

(3) I recently built a "Gotcha Free PBX 11" with Asterisk 11 and Asterisk GUI on a Digital Ocean Ubuntu 14.04 LTS instance. Mostly just tinkering with this one as I am not yet too familiar with Asterisk GUI.

Keeping an existing system that works perfectly and is new enough to still be secure is always a fine idea. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". For me, (1), above, is probably my "favorite," but perhaps only because of familiarity. I'd say you can't go wrong with IncrediblePBX 11.

If you want something newer, go with Incredible PBX 12.

If you haven't seen this NerdVittles article, go here for the scoop regarding how these all differ:

http://nerdvittles.com/?p=12292

Thank you a lot for these details, i may prefer (1) as this my production server, and may also play (3) to get familiar with. Thank you again for your expert advices (but could what's name for (2) providr ?)

tycho

Guru (not...)
Reaction score
(but could what's name for (2) providr ?)

Are you asking the name of the Linux cloud server provider? It is: "Cloud at Cost." They periodically run "specials" and have been discussed in this forum and in Nerdvittles.

• The reliable, recommended-by-PIAF cloud server provider is RentPBX. They support the PIAF project.
  • A cloud server provider that is good for development and "sandboxing" is Digital Ocean. wardmundy can provide a referral link that will get you some free time, and that will provide support for the PIAF project.
  • Cloud at Cost is a budget provider that is probably not good for a production cloud machine, but it works well enough for my occasional personal use.

MrBostn

Guru
Reaction score
Don't feel bad I'm on PIAF-Green, and often wonder should I stay or should I go (to a newer version). I'm likely to stay but I have to admit there's lots of "flavors" of PIAF and I don't know what a natural path from PIAF-Green might be.

smarks

Guru
Reaction score
thank you for this comparison table, may a think that for my needs, gotcha free pbx 11 feets ?. In other hand, Astersiks Gui : is it as simple as freepbx to setup and configure ?.

For me, it's clear : Piaf for ever !

Asterisk GUI is simpler (as in easier to install and use) but it's different so there is a bit of a learning curve if you are used to piaf.

kdaffef02

Reaction score
Are you asking the name of the Linux cloud server provider? It is: "Cloud at Cost." They periodically run "specials" and have been discussed in this forum and in Nerdvittles.

• The reliable, recommended-by-PIAF cloud server provider is RentPBX. They support the PIAF project.
  • A cloud server provider that is good for development and "sandboxing" is Digital Ocean. wardmundy can provide a referral link that will get you some free time, and that will provide support for the PIAF project.
  • Cloud at Cost is a budget provider that is probably not good for a production cloud machine, but it works well enough for my occasional personal use.
Yes, i'm asking about cloud server providers, as i'm at digital ocean from few months, and server works really great (just one offline internet issue), and appreciate do features (manual backups, hour billing, 10$/m cost, web console access, ...). Rentpbx is supporting PIAF project, but it's system seems "closed" (as i tested their service for 2 months) and we have to ask support for any question. this is really frustrating from a leading business !

kdaffef02

Reaction score
Don't feel bad I'm on PIAF-Green, and often wonder should I stay or should I go (to a newer version). I'm likely to stay but I have to admit there's lots of "flavors" of PIAF and I don't know what a natural path from PIAF-Green might be.

thank you, i have same questions to keep my small production updated ... should keep contact !

smarks

Guru
Reaction score
Why are you guys using the word cloud server? The providers mentioned are using VPS servers not 'cloud' servers as far as I know. The only thing cloudish that DO does last time I checked is their backups or snapshots or whatever they call it these days. Haven't used them in awhile though.

kevinfvc

Reaction score
Thanks for this post and the helpful comments. I am just returning to look at PiaF as I've been away for a while. It was quite overwhelming trying to get my head wrapped around the different flavors. You guys have been busy. The chart above is great. I think I'm going to try my hand with the Asterisk GUI version.

tycho

Guru (not...)
Reaction score
Why are you guys using the word cloud server? The providers mentioned are using VPS servers not 'cloud' servers as far as I know. The only thing cloudish that DO does last time I checked is their backups or snapshots or whatever they call it these days. Haven't used them in awhile though.

Interesting. You'd better go tell Cloud at Cost that they incorrectly named their company...

:biggrinjester:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bellabos
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.