TUTORIAL Hylafax+Avantfax+Gvoice

Karnith

Reaction score
I know this topic has been touched on several times, but I thought I would create a tutorial on how to do this, if not for my own recollection and reference in the future. I hope this will help other if they are trying to do the same thing.

My setup:
VMware whitebox host (built myself)
Comcast voice,Cable Internet 7Mb upload/22Mb download
Piaf x86_64 1.8.3.2 Purple (Incredible PBX)
Avantfax 3.3.3
Hylafax 6.0.5 Client x86_64 --needed
Hylafax 6.0.5 Server x86_64
*I used iaxmodem because my OS is virtual and pass through of a PSTN card might be too much for me to take on, if it is even possible.

I modified a script from Piaf for the install and I will add it this post for anyone who wants to try/do this. I also pooled info from other threads on the forum for this
Modify the script as needed with your editor (can be done if needed although the script can be run as is)

I have done things different with the Google voice contexts which we will go into first to create the proper routes and trunks for our Google voice system.

Contexts:

In your Freepbx dashboard click on tools and config edit
Find extensions_custom.conf and click to edit it.
Comment out the entire [ext-fax], [sendfax], [faxit] and [googlein] contexts.

Add these to the bottom of the file:
Code:
[from-fax]
  exten => _x.,1,Dial(local/${EXTEN}@[B][COLOR=red]username1faxout[/COLOR][/B])
  exten => _x.,n,Hangup()

[from-fax1]
  exten => _x.,1,Dial(local/${EXTEN}@[B][COLOR=red]username2faxout[/COLOR][/B]) 
  exten => _x.,n,Hangup()

[googlein]
  ;Allows anonymous calls through travelin man and replaces onymous@vo with anonymous. Waits removed
  exten => _[0-9a-z].,1,Noop(Incoming Google Voice call for ${EXTEN})
  exten => _[0-9a-z].,n,Set(CALLERID(name)=${CUT(CALLERID(name),@,1)})
  exten => _[0-9a-z].,n,GotoIf($["${CALLERID(name):0:2}" != "+1"]?notrim)
  exten => _[0-9a-z].,n,Set(CALLERID(name)=${CALLERID(name):2})
  exten => _[0-9a-z].,n(notrim),Set(CALLERID(number)=${CALLERID(name)})
  exten => _[0-9a-z].,n,Answer
  exten => _[0-9a-z].,n,Wait(10)
  exten => _[0-9a-z].,n,SendDTMF(1)
  exten => _[0-9a-z].,n,Goto(from-google-voice,${CUT(EXTEN,@,1)},1)
  exten => h,1,Macro(hangupcall,)
*I use travelin man, but this context can still be used without it. This custom gvoice context has the waits removed and passes the inbound call to the [from-google-voice] context where the call is routed based on username of the gvoice account.

Replace username and gvoice number with the appropriate values of your environment
Code:
[from-google-voice]
  ;Allows multiple gvoice accounts. Waits removed.
  exten => [B][COLOR=red]username1[/COLOR][/B],1,Goto(from-trunk,[B][COLOR=red]gvoice Number1[/COLOR][/B],1)
  exten => [B][COLOR=red]username2[/COLOR][/B],1,Goto(from-trunk,[B][COLOR=red]gvoice Number2[/COLOR][/B],1)
  exten => [B][COLOR=red]username3[/COLOR][/B],1,Goto(from-trunk,[B][COLOR=red]gvoice Number3[/COLOR][/B],1)
  ;exten => [B][COLOR=red]username4[/COLOR][/B],1,Goto(from-trunk,[B][COLOR=red]gvoice Number4[/COLOR][/B],1)
  exten => h,1,Macro(hangupcall,)
This context matches a username to the Google voice number which in turn will be used for a alias or CID lookup by asterisk to the correct extension. I used the CID lookup via number for my box.

The first gvoice context should be there already, so you really just need to add the second and third contexts. Make sure that asterisk in the context is stepped up by one for each new context you add. I believe this has to do with channels. It should look like this:
Code:
[gvoice]
  exten => _X.,1,Wait(1)
  exten => _X.,n,Set(ALERTNAME=[B][COLOR=red]username1[/COLOR][/B]@gmail.com)
  ;exten => _X.,n,Set(STATUS=${JABBER_STATUS([B][COLOR=red]asterisk[/COLOR][/B],${ALERTNAME})});
  ;exten => _X.,n,NoOp(Gvoice/Jabber Status: ${STATUS})
  exten => _X.,n,JABBERSend([B][COLOR=red]asterisk[/COLOR][/B],${ALERTNAME},Placing GVoice Call: ${EXTEN})
  exten => _X.,n,GotoIf($["${LEN(${EXTEN})}"="10"]?us:other)
  exten => _X.,n(us),Dial(Gtalk/[B][COLOR=red]asterisk[/COLOR][/B]/+1${EXTEN}@voice.google.com)
  exten => _X.,n,Goto(done)
  exten => _X.,n(other),Dial(Gtalk/[B][COLOR=red]asterisk[/COLOR][/B]/+${EXTEN}@voice.google.com)
  exten => _X.,n(done),NoOp(GVoice Call to ${EXTEN} failed)

[FONT=Calibri][gvoice1][/FONT]
  [FONT=Calibri]exten => _X.,1,Wait(1)[/FONT]
  [FONT=Calibri]exten => _X.,n,Set(ALERTNAME=[B][COLOR=red]username2[/COLOR][/B]@gmail.com)[/FONT]
  [FONT=Calibri];exten => _X.,n,Set(STATUS=${JABBER_STATUS([B][COLOR=red]asterisk1[/COLOR][/B],${ALERTNAME})});[/FONT]
  [FONT=Calibri];exten => _X.,n,NoOp(Gvoice/Jabber Status: ${STATUS})[/FONT]
  [FONT=Calibri]exten => _X.,n,JABBERSend([B][COLOR=red]asterisk1[/COLOR][/B],${ALERTNAME},Placing GVoice Call: ${EXTEN})[/FONT]
  [FONT=Calibri]exten => _X.,n,GotoIf($["${LEN(${EXTEN})}"="10"]?us:other)[/FONT]
  [FONT=Calibri]exten => _X.,n(us),Dial(Gtalk/[B][COLOR=red]asterisk1[/COLOR][/B]/+1${EXTEN}@voice.google.com)[/FONT]
  [FONT=Calibri]exten => _X.,n,Goto(done)[/FONT]
  [FONT=Calibri]exten => _X.,n(other),Dial(Gtalk/[B][COLOR=red]asterisk1[/COLOR][/B]/+${EXTEN}@voice.google.com)[/FONT]
  [FONT=Calibri]exten => _X.,n(done),NoOp(GVoice Call to ${EXTEN} failed)[/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri][gvoice2][/FONT]
  [FONT=Calibri]exten => _X.,1,Wait(1)[/FONT]
  [FONT=Calibri]exten => _X.,n,Set(ALERTNAME=[B][COLOR=red]username3[/COLOR][/B]@gmail.com)[/FONT]
  [FONT=Calibri];exten => _X.,n,Set(STATUS=${JABBER_STATUS([B][COLOR=red]asterisk2[/COLOR][/B],${ALERTNAME})});[/FONT]
  [FONT=Calibri];exten => _X.,n,NoOp(Gvoice/Jabber Status: ${STATUS})[/FONT]
  [FONT=Calibri]exten => _X.,n,JABBERSend([B][COLOR=red]asterisk2[/COLOR][/B],${ALERTNAME},Placing GVoice Call: ${EXTEN})[/FONT]
  [FONT=Calibri]exten => _X.,n,GotoIf($["${LEN(${EXTEN})}"="10"]?us:other)[/FONT]
  [FONT=Calibri]exten => _X.,n(us),Dial(Gtalk/[B][COLOR=red]asterisk2[/COLOR][/B]/+1${EXTEN}@voice.google.com)[/FONT]
  [FONT=Calibri]exten => _X.,n,Goto(done)[/FONT]
  [FONT=Calibri]exten => _X.,n(other),Dial(Gtalk/[B][COLOR=red]asterisk2[/COLOR][/B]/+${EXTEN}@voice.google.com)[/FONT]
  [FONT=Calibri]exten => _X.,n(done),NoOp(GVoice Call to ${EXTEN} failed) [/FONT]
continued on next post

Karnith

Reaction score
Routes:

We now need to create some extensions, routes and trunks for our fax setup.

[FONT=&quot]In FreePBX, Setup, Extensions, Add Extension, add a Generic IAX2 Device. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Create the extensions with the following Characteristics: [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Display Name:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Bob’s Fax (Give it a Descriptive Name) [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Outbound CID:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] As appropriate [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Secret:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] An Appropriate STRONG secret. (We also use permit/deny) [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Save your changes. Then, open the newly created extension again and configure the following characteristics: [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]notransfer[/FONT][FONT=&quot] = yes [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]host[/FONT][FONT=&quot] = 127.0.0.1 [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]type[/FONT][FONT=&quot] = friend [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]port[/FONT][FONT=&quot] = 4574 <=== * Must be unique. I used 4570 and 4571 since the script creates the modems with these ports.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]qualify[/FONT][FONT=&quot] = yes [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]disallow[/FONT][FONT=&quot] = all [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]allow[/FONT][FONT=&quot] = ulaw [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]permit[/FONT][FONT=&quot] = 127.0.0.1/255.255.255.0 (We also use Secrets) [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]secret=[/FONT][FONT=&quot] XXXXXX <=== An appropriate string secret. [/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]This must be a unique port. I selected 4574 because the first 4 virtual modems are already set to use ports 4570-4573. Each time you add a new Virtual modem, increment this port by 1. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Do not enable voice mail or VMX. You can disable call waiting as this won’t be needed either for this particular setup.[/FONT]

Next, go to trunks and create the trunks needed for outbound calls. The trunks will be Custom trunks.

Trunk Name: name the trunk something meaningful

Leave everything else default except Custom Dial string

Custom Dial String: local/$OUTNUM$@gvoice1
*The custom dial string is referencing the gvoice context we made earlier
Do this for all gvoice extensions you added in the extensions_custom file.

Now we need to create the outbound routes

The quick way to do this would be to duplicate the default route for as many times you have fax extensions created. This gives each fax line its own out route and enables multiple ax modems to send faxes at a time.

Change the name of each duplicated route to something meaningful. I have given a suffix to each of my routes using FaxOutRoute. Be sure to select only the matching trunk for the route in Trunk Sequence section of the outbound route. You can also add these routes to the Toll Free and Google voice out routes. I removed the default outbound route as I have all of my extensions using their own custom context for segregation of calls.

In the freepbx dashboard find the custom contexts module in the menu and go there. We need to create a custom context for each of our extensions.

Name the context and give a meaningful description to it. Select set all to “yes” and change the Entire Basic dial plan and All outbound routesto “No”. In outbound routes change everything to “No” except the route we created for this extension. Be sure to save.

Go back to the extensions you created and select the custom context from the Custom Context section under device settings.

OK, now we have our extensions, routes and trunks created. On we go to the install of our fax system.

Script
Code:
cd /root
  use download the script
  chmod +x piaf-hylafax.sh
  ./piaf-hylafax.sh
  Reboot server when it is done.
The script will download and install everything for you. It will also create 2 modems with ports 4570 and 4571.

Modem config
Edit the config of both modem IAX0 and IAX1 (this will need to be done for each modem if the script was edited to create more than two modems) *I used nano

Code:
nano /var/spool/hylafax/etc/config.ttyIAX0
  add to bottom of file
  #
  #       AvantFAX
  #
  FaxRcvdCmd: bin/faxrcvd.php
  DynamicConfig: bin/dynconf.php
  UseJobTSI: true
  JobReqNoAnswer: 180
  JobReqNoCarrier: 180

ModemRate:             14400           # rate for DCE-DTE communication
The ModemRate is the speed of the modem and I found 14400 to work over my internet connection. Results may vary depending on your internet connection speed and quality.

[FONT=&quot]In freePBX using config editor, edit the following of the iax_custom.conf file: [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][iax-fax0][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]type=[/FONT][FONT=&quot]friend [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]host=[/FONT][FONT=&quot]127.0.0.1 [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]port=[/FONT][FONT=&quot]4570[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]context=[/FONT][FONT=&quot]from-internal[/FONT]ç[FONT=&quot]===Change from-internal to the context your created [from-fax]. Raise the number for each context you created. (eg. from-fax1,from-fax2……)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]disallow=[/FONT][FONT=&quot]all [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]allow=[/FONT][FONT=&quot]ulaw [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]jitterbuffer=[/FONT][FONT=&quot]no [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]qualify=[/FONT][FONT=&quot]yes [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]deny=[/FONT][FONT=&quot]0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0 [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]permit=[/FONT][FONT=&quot]127.0.0.1/255.255.255.0 [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]secret=[/FONT][FONT=&quot] XXXXXX<=== The same strong secret you assigned to the shared fax occurrence, above. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Save your changes. [/FONT]

Configure avantfax as this post describes. You can follow the instructions for webmin module installation also. I would use the 1.9 module as that is what I am using without any problems.

Reboot server to set the new configuration of the modems. You should now have a working fax system using hylafax, avantfax and Google voice.

When I have more time I will clean this up and give a better outline of what to do.

Karnith

**I see the link is broken for the webmin module download. I have provided here for you.

Attachments

• piaf-hylafax.zip
    2.9 KB · Views: 8
  • hylafax_mod-1.9.wbm.gz
    49 KB · Views: 7
Last edited by a moderator:

trupsalms

Reaction score
gv and hylafax/avantfax working/not working

faxes are detected but, hangsup shortly after, faxing does not complete, prematurely terminates i believe.

Ken Goddard

Reaction score
mabybe a silly question but what goes here: username1faxout

[from-fax]
exten => _x.,1,Dial(local/${EXTEN}@username1faxout)
exten => _x.,n,Hangup()

Also this works great for receiving without issue.

But sending I get no local dialtone

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nikko
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.