TUTORIAL HowTo: Sangoma Wanpipe DAHDI drivers

blanchae

Guru
Reaction score
From my understanding, Sangoma uses an interface that sits between Dahdi and their cards. The interface simulates the Digium cards to Asterisk and it is called the Wanpipe drivers. Here’s how to install the Wanpipe drivers.

Note: if you are adding a Sangoma card to a server that already has a working dahdi card installed from another vendor, make sure you save your dahdi config: /etc/dahdi/system.conf as the Sangoma installation will overwrite the system.conf file.

1. Save a backup copy of /etc/asterisk/chan_dahdi.conf. You will be needing it after the Wanpipe configuration.

2. Go the Sangoma Wanpipe wiki and download the latest Wanpipe driver

3. Upload it to /usr/local/src using Webmin-Others- Upload and Download service.

4. Using PuTTY, ssh into your server to /usr/local/src and untar the wanpipe driver:

tar –zxvf wanpipe-3.5.20.tgz

5. Change to the new directory

cd wanpipe-3.5.20

6.Then run the Wanpipe setup program:

./Setup

7. Accept pretty much all the defaults. The Dahdi source directory is /usr/src/dahdi which is typically the first choice. Set the local settings as appropriate.

8. I set it to automatically configure dahdi and to run the wanrouter and dahdi_cfg each time it boots. A whole bunch of selecting option number 1's.

9. Run dahdi_hardware to verify that the wanpipe is loaded . Run dahdi_tool, my Sangoma card showed up as a WRTDM card.

10. Restore your backup copy of /etc/asterisk/chan_dahdi.conf as the Wanpipe installation screws up FreePBX's chan_dahdi.conf and loses the #includes to the other chan_dahdi config files plus puts in not needed extension information which should be configured by FreePBX in chan_dahdi_additional.conf.

Reference: Sangoma Wiki Asterisk Install

atsak

Guru
Reaction score
I have always been able to follow the Sangoma instructions, minus the yum, not having to worry about saving the original chan_dahdi.conf, and it has just worked, for both the T1 and FXO interface cards they offer (A101 and A200 I believe, plus a B600 I was testing).

I do notice a couple issues on Sangoma. On the cards with EC if you have a REALLY crummy noisy phone line, you sometimes get one way audio; this was with older versions I have yet to do an upgrade at the location I have this installed. Also, you have to be careful when loading their latest drivers; on occasion they have compatibility issues with new kernels etc. Also, they do not like some kinds of riser cards. Use flexible PCI or PCI-e risers if you need one. The server ones seem to be OK though (Supermicro, IBM).

atsak

Guru
Reaction score
FYI
As of today, June 24, 2013 the latest version of the Wanpipe driver is 7.0.3 and it does not appear to be compatible with DAHDI 2.7, the version currently shipping with PIAF 2.0.6.4.4. I am trying to track down a means of contacting Sangoma now.

I rolled back DAHDI to 2.6.3 rc1 using the steps here, time will tell if that was wise or not.

Uh, i know someone there when I had a complaint about their 9 -5 service hours (what is this, 1950?)

I will tell them if you want . . .

atsak

Guru
Reaction score
Ah, the good ol' days. Back when Redhat and Fedora were waaaay easier to install:

Go for it. I haven't gotten around to registering yet.

OK I told the guy and my sales rep. Let's see what that does. Of course they probably know already but . . . anyway.

voipRookie

Reaction score
Has anyone installed the latest Wanpipe driver (7.0.5 released 7/15/13) and can advise if it does in fact support Dahdi 2.7?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nikko
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.