How to use asterisk with Spandsp to be added as modem in windows 2003 fax service.

KUMARULLAL

Guru
Reaction score
Hi I am very happy with the SPandsp on my asterisk@home 2.7 machine. It has been almost 2 years and we have no problems with it. I am using a PRI line and several DID's that are assigned to inbound routes. The incoming Fax is converted into PDF and emailed to the appropriate recipient. This is working great for us.
For my outbound faxes, I have a windows 2003 server and I am using the fax service for it. It has a snap-in called Fax service manager, where you can select the modems (Either attached to the windows 2003 server itself (local machine) or on the network). I only have one analog line for it. There for there is a lot of pending faxes queued up. I would like to use the PRI line instead.
Here is my question:
I would like to first of all create a modem (may be IAXmodem ????) on the asterisk machine and make it available on my local subnet for use.
Since SpanDSP works fine both for incoming as well as outgoing faxes, I would like to add the Iaxmodem (Or any other modem created on asterisk) in the windows 2003 Fax service manager and try to send out faxes through the PRI.
Can anyone tell me how this can be archived?
Thanks in advance

KUMARULLAL

Guru
Reaction score
I have not received any replies yet. May be because I may not be very clear on my post. Here is some more details of what I am talking about.
The fax client that I am talking about, comes with windows FAX service on windows 2003 server. A free add on in windows 2003 server. Once configured with a modem, the clients from active Directory can add the fax client by simply going to the UNC path of the windows 2003 server for example \\win-2003-server and add as a Printer. Now the clients can choose to print anything, word doc, Excel doc, web page or any page that you can print to a printer. At the time of printing select the FAX printer that you just added. So in our example the printer will appear as "FAX on win-2003-server".
Then the wizard starts where it asks you for a Fax number the name of the recipient etc. Finally it submits it to the win 2003 server for delivery. The clients also have a fax console where they can see the status of the fax. I already have set this and is working just fine. All I want to do is some how create a modem on the asterisk box in such a way that in can be shared by my windows 2003 server. And use the TX_Fax that is already available in SPanDSP to send the fax out though my PRI.

jroper

Guru
Reaction score
Hi

Not sure whether it will work, but no reason why it shouldn't, connect an FXO device to the windows modem, and trunk it through to the PBX. Make sure you use an uncompressed Codec.

Joe

KUMARULLAL

Guru
Reaction score
Hi Guru,
Say I choose a fax machine as my FXO device. How would I attach a fax machine to Windows modem.
I am using a PRI line. SHould I create an IAX2 trunk on my asterisk box? How do I use that trunk to connect to windows machine?
Can you elaborate a bit?

KUMARULLAL

Guru
Reaction score
Hi Guru,
With your logic what would happen if I create a SIP extension 100 and name it FAX. Then I connect the following in this order
PC -- faxmodem -- ATA --- Asterisk
Will it work?

jroper

Guru
Reaction score
Hi

With reservations - quality of network, quality of ATA, some tuning, no compression, it should work.

I should have said FXS, not FXO, in my post.

Joe

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abuhyder
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.