TIPS How to split PRI ?

KUMARULLAL

Guru
Reaction score
I am planning to get a PRI circuit (23 +D) channels. A Digium PRI card can be easily configured to assign DID and route calls as desired.
The question is if I wanted to split the PRI and convert 10 Analog ports and feed it to an external FAX server with 10 ports. The Analog ports should have unique DID assigned to every port.
How do I do it?
I was thinking in the lines of somehow incorporating a Grandstream Analog gateway GXW 4108.
Any thoughts?

james

Guru
Reaction score
to literally split the pri you would need a mux of somesort. On a PRI you don't have dedicated time slots. Time slot 1 may be 5000 for 1 call and 4567 on another. The call information is handled by way of the D channel and the B channel carries the audio.

Now you can assign 10 DID's to faxs then you just have to get them off the box. IMHO sip is not the way to do this. You would want to put in an analog card with FXS channels or if you have a spare T1 port you could push out to a channel bank with FXS ports.

KUMARULLAL

Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply James.
Let me try to put the question in another way. The end result that I want to achieve is to receive faxes on 10 unique DIDs which should be stored in a perticular folder based to the DIDs. Preferable an SMB share.
So if a fax is received on DID 555-444-1111, it should go to folder John, like wise for DID 555-444-1112 should go to Folder Mike.
Can this be achieved?

atsak

Guru
Reaction score
PIAF isn't really suited to this arrangement. The DID's come in with the PRI signal (on the D channel, but that's not really important). It looks like it might not be too hard to do this with Freeswitch, but I don't know.

But if you can have individual fax machines, that you can do for sure with a PRI. Just get an obi (or spa112 should be ok, but the obi are better), setup an extension for it, then point the PRI DID at that extension in the inbound route.

You can use the Grandstream if you want, it might work - I haven't tried it. The PRI call quality is very high so fax shouldn't really be too interfered with if you use g.711. I have done this with an alarm system and fax machine and there's never a problem.

KUMARULLAL

Guru
Reaction score
The problem is that there is a windows based fax server with 10 analog ports. Fax received on each port has a unique folder. As soon as the fax comes in any port, the windows fax server receives it and saves the faxes in the assigned folder to that port. So there are 10 folders for 10 ports. Once the fax comes in any of the folders, there is a script written in vbscript, that pulls the faxes and uploads to an EMR software. Therefore I was thinking if I could somehow forward the incoming FAX DID to the windows ports, then things would work. on the other hand, to eliminate the analog ports altogether, if I mount the windows shared folders on PIAF server using the /etc/fstab, and store the faxes directly to those folders, then it would be an ideal solution.
I am stuck on how to achieve this.

atsak

Guru
Reaction score
You can do it using hylafax and avantfax, but the setup is beyond the general basics of incredible fax. Do some reading on hylafax etc and you might be able to figure it out. Have a look also at freeswitch and fusionpbx - might be a bit easier for what you want (not sure have not looked closely at the fax functionality). Also:

http://www.schmoozecom.com/xact-fax.php

KUMARULLAL

Guru
Reaction score
I can assign an IAXMODEM per DID in hylafax and avantfax, however, how do I direct the faxes received by a particular IAXMODEM to a directory of my choice? I dont remember if there is an option provided to store the fax into a directory while setting up an new IAXMODEM. I will try. However, if you are aware, please let me know. Thanks

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
voiplads
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.