RECOMMENDATIONS How do you get your users to record?

Albert S

Reaction score
Whenever I setup a box for someone I need to meet them physically and assist them while they record via *77 so when they are done recording each prompt I can name it and save it for future use in IVR.

Do you guys have people pre-record their texts and send you as mp3 then you convert that to Asterisk format?

Or is it possible to have some one call your PBX and record prompts and name them all via phone?

Looking for some recommendations..

Thanks.

billsimon

Reaction score
Set up a mailbox and have them call it from on-system with a VoIP phone. They just call and leave a message for each prompt and then you can retrieve the wav files, already formatted correctly, from the voicemail directory.

The bonus here is that the voicemail system allows them to review each one and re-record if they don't like it.

There are more sophisticated ways but this way is very simple.

Albert S

Reaction score
billisimon thanks so much! I never thought that :D :D neither knew voicemails was formatted same way like Asterisk would record the IVR.

Makes perfect sense. Thanks again.

hbonath

Guru
Reaction score
I typically will create a "placeholder" recording, by uploading a "dead air" wav file that I keep on my laptop into System Recordings.
I'll name it, and assign it to whatever it's going to attach to, like an IVR. And in the recordings section there is a checkbox to create a feature code for that recording. (you can create a PIN as well for that recording)
From there, I'll give them the Star code and PIN and then they just pick up their phone and dial in with that code to record their messaging. That way they can update it anytime they want after that without having to have me do anything. (Although typically they still end up calling because they forgot the Star-code and PIN! =)

Albert S

Reaction score
So I tried to have them call and quality was crap due they used their cellphones. I told them to use land-line it it was much better.

I am looking to make a workflow on a linux box where they can upload .mp3 or vaw up to 20MB and automatically convert that to asterisk format. Would that work you think?

Have users upload files via the website and convert them via SOX or some other tool. Any recommendations on that?

Also I have never used a place holder I need to look into that..

Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.