TIPS Headset Problems

papachumba

Reaction score
So, purchased a whole load of Yealink headsets for our Yealink T-22s (Yealink YHS32)
Users started complaining after a while that customers cannot hear them properly and that there are crackles on the line. Sometimes when you wiggle the headset cable you can hear crackles on the line (any random phone)

So, thinking it was headsets I purchased 2 different ones which were compatible with yealink phones according to the seller - VXI Passport QD1027 10V

After a while of testing a user is reporting same issues with this headset.

So, just to exclude the phones, I swapped one user with a HD Yealink T46G phone instead of a T22 and she started reporting the same problems today.

It would appear like the headsets work for a while to start off with, and then start having problems.
Could anyone offer any insight why this could be happening?
Could it be related to the POE switches?

krzykat

Telecom Strategist
Reaction score
Could it be related to the POE switches?

Are the phones used with handsets as well, and do you have issues with the handsets? If the problem only occurs with the headset, then it kind of forces the issue to be with the phone/headset itself.

papachumba

Reaction score
Yea handsets there too - and they work fine no problem.
Its only on headsets customers report that after a while the person on the headset starts fading out.

I've just done a test - plugged 2 phones into non-POE ethernet, and used a power adaptor to power the phone. Its been 24 hrs so far with no reported problems for these 2.
Still early days, but looks like it could be POE switches... how bizzare?

synack

Guru
Reaction score
Go into your PoE switch, there should be a function to display current power usage, and match that up with the switches specs. If
Maybe the headset/phone combo x however many phones is greater power requirements than what the PoE switch can provide?

For example on cisco switch:
"Use the show inline power and show inline power detail privileged EXEC commands to compare the number of connected powered devices against the switch power budget (available PoE). Verify that switch power budget can power the device."

papachumba

Reaction score
Wouldnt other phones exhibit problems if the power budget was exceeded, rather than headsets only?
I was thinking of checking voltages on the line, to see if they fluctuate wildly or something...

synack

Guru
Reaction score
Depends on the power consumption of the phones with headsets vs phones without. My spa508g only consume a couple watts each out of my available 370. if all 48 needed 8 watts, they would not trigger an over current condition (15.4W) but would exceed the 370 total. In my case the switch will throw errors and potentially shutdown ports. I don't know what you have, maybe your's will sag (usually resulting in a voltage drop) if the power regulators can't keep up.

jeff.h

Guru
Reaction score
You're not using a detangler or any thing else between the actual cord from the headset and the RJ9 port on the phone are you?

We also have very similar issues with the OEM handset cords on Cisco 9971s, swap the cord and all is well.

papachumba

Reaction score
So, no detangler.
Latest test - I used the power adaptor for the phone, thinking if I have this plugged in it should alleviate the load on the switch. No joy.
Both with POE and power adaptor same problem still happens. Could this be related to any setting within the PBX?
Im kinda stuck for ideas at the moment, not sure what else to try - can I get a headset with its own power adaptor?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rahee
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.