FOOD FOR THOUGHT Headset GXP2160 help!

lbeckm3

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm moving away from my Cisco 7960 and in the process picked up the Grandstream GXP2160. In reading the specs I saw it had an RJ9 headset jack, so I thought "Great! My Plantronics headset will move right over"! Oh how wrong I am... I have no audio at this point and in test calls I can barely hear myself with the mic. So my questions are;

1. Is there any way to directly connect this headset (I really dont want to get one of those "battery amplifier boxes" in the loop)? I don't have a model number as I don't see one on the headset, but here is a pic if it helps...

plantronics.jpg

2. If I cannot directly connect this sucker - any recommendations for a compatible headset that doesn't break the bank? I'm not interested in bluetooth - I prefer a wired solution. I did see this compatibility link, but I'm looking more for "I know this works and is decent".

Thanks!!!

-Lyle

rossiv

Guru
Reaction score
I used a very similar (if not exact same) headset with my 7970 and it did indeed require the amplifier box. No Grandstream experience here.

lbeckm3

Reaction score
That's kind of what I was afraid of... would rather not spend the same money for a clunky add-on amp box for this fairly old headset (but comfy and I do like it a lot), so I believe I'm in the market for a new headset. I'll dig around on Grandstream forums too for headset recommendations.

Thanks Ross!

mainenotarynet

Not really a Guru - Just a long time user
Reaction score
If I have my memory in tact, I recall that the RJ9s on ciscos are wired a little differently. If your Plantronics is a QC cord check around for just the RJ9 -> QC for non-cisco phones. All you may need is that part.

krzykat

Telecom Strategist
Reaction score
I bought these for my GXP2160 and it works good: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=8520205
Remember - this phone has bluetooth built in. Now I can walk around the office and talk on the phone at the same time.

FLT-101770017_vmain01a_gp_mn_8520205.jpg

I know you said no bluetooth, but you should try it, you just might like it

lbeckm3

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses all.

RJ9-QC for non-Cisco - very interesting, I didn't know there were different cables. I'll have to dig around some parts bins at work to see if anything like that is available. At work we have Avaya phones, with Plantronics Vista amps that then attach to the RJ9 QC cables to the headsets. When I started working from home, I took just the headset with the QC cable home, plugged it into the 7960 and all was well.

Thanks for the headset link, but I'm also attempting to use the bluetooth on the phone to connect to my Nexus 5 cellphone so I can talk on "one phone" for all my calls. As I understand it, I can either do that with the cellphone, or do a bluetooth headset, but not both at the same time. I'm rarely away from my desk so I don't have a problem with a wired headset. This VIDEO shows that connection in action with an iPhone.

-Lyle

lbeckm3

Reaction score
I got my old Plantronics headset to work with the GXP2160!! Woot!! After scouring the web looking for a good replacement - I didn't see any that stood out (and I'm too cheap for the few "Grandstream listed" compatible headsets that are in my first post). I did see some "conversion" cables listed, but they were $15 and had hit/miss reviews. So after re-reading Kevin's post above I did some web research.

Turns out the RJ9s ARE wired differently - here is the difference looking at the jack from left to right;

Cisco (which I think is how a lot of Plantronics headsets are wired that "require" an M22 amplifier box - YMMV)
1. Spk +
2. Mic -
3. Mic +
4. Spk -

Grandstream (and probably MOST other non-Cisco phones dedicated headset jack YMMV)
1. Mic +
2. Spk +
3. Spk -
4. Mic -

So, match them up and you have a converter box that goes like (Cisco on left, Grandstream on right);
1 to 2
2 to 4
3 to 1
4 to 3

I built a conversion cable using a standard RJ11 jack (had on hand) and cut a handset cord from an old pots phone. No modifications to the "cisco" quick connect cable that way and it works great!!! I'll toss up a pic of my "handywork". She ain't pretty but works well!

Thanks everyone - special thanks to Kevin (mainenotarynet) for sending me down the wiring path.

-Lyle

lbeckm3

Reaction score
Here is a pic of the cable I made. Used one of the "smartjack" things I had sitting around that had 110 punch down slots in it. Whole contraption sits behind the phone so it is not an eyesore.

headsetcord.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nana1
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.