FYI Has XMPP Google Voice service actually stopped yet?

VaHam

Reaction score
Just for grins I tested my GV outbound and it still works fine. Has it actually stopped for anyone yet?

randy7376

Defnyddiwr Gweithredol
Reaction score
Same here.

I have an Obi110 and Beaglebone Black both with GV configs that still work.

Brian Simmons

Reaction score
Obi sent out an email stating that it was still working, but obviously it could stop at anytime and they are sticking to their plan of not officially supporting or recommending XMPP anymore. But clearly Google didn't actually throw the switch like they said they were going to. At least not yet.

tycho

Guru (not...)
Reaction score
I'm likely misinformed, but I didn't think Google said it was going to throw a switch to turn XMPP off on 5/15...

The one Singhal post that everyone points to says this: "There are a few third-party applications that provide calling and SMS services by making unauthorized use of Google Voice. These apps violate our Terms of Service and pose a threat to your security, so we’re notifying these app developers that they must stop making unauthorized use of Google Voice to run their services and transition users by May 15, 2014"

tm1000

Schmoozecom INC/FreePBX
Reaction score
I have reviewed this with Asterisk developers and the input is as follows:
This is for writing apps which run in the hangouts environment. The API here is for writing applications which are invoked inside of an active hangout session. You have to add the app to the google hangout platform, then you create a hangout which invokes the app and the app does "stuff". They are not for external manipulation for the purposes of setting up/tearing down hangouts

So at this moment in time your thoughts are unfounded and will not work inside of Asterisk.
Reading on the obihai forums it sounds like there is a new Hangouts Telephone API. Has anyone seen this or looked into whether PIAF/Motif will be able to be upgraded to work with it?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bellabos
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.