FOOD FOR THOUGHT Has anyone unlocked Walmarts Basic Talk ATA? (Grandstream HT701 @ $9.88)?

wa4zlw

Reaction score
has anyone successfully unlocked this? It just showed up a week or so ago. THe cost is right if we can unlock it. Anyone?

THanks leon

billsimon

Reaction score
The HT701 costs $32 on Amazon. That price is quite reasonable.

Why give the PIAF community a black eye by starting this thread? The device is obviously subsidized by a service for use on that specific service, and not meant to be used for other purposes.

I recommend this thread be removed. Unlocking devices like this is different from unlocking old Sunrocket ATAs, since Sunrocket is out of business.

wa4zlw

Reaction score
Just to set the record straight, I am doing some consulting for some folks and they've asked about this and want to try and save some $$$ by using the walmart box hence my question. I don't particularly, personally, think this is the way to go, but I don't make the decisions.

THanks leon

heykoopa

Padawan
Reaction score
I don't think who is asking the question or not what I believe Bill is stating that we used as a collective whole do not condone pirating another companies intellectual property. You can pick up China direct ATAs for around 10.00 there OK but not great if you are looking for a cheap solution but asking in the forum for a way to circumvent a companies device shouldn't be asked here

billsimon

Reaction score
Leon: No offense meant. I think you should just tell your client it can't be done. If they argue and try to cheap out on the matter, consider finding better clients.

TwigsUSAN

Guru
Reaction score
I would have to agree with billsimon. Part of the job of a consultant is to recommend the proper way of doing things. This is one of those things that you should inform the client of the proper way of doing it.

Reaction score
I would prefer that individual members police themselves. I think their is a fine line between technical curiosity, being well informed, industry savvy AND illegal activity or endeavors that clearly violate a services general TOS agreements. Should, in the judgement of the moderators, a member doesn't seem to be staying on the proper side of that line then some appropriate action can be taken. Everyone has a little different take on questions like this so I'm OK with the initial question. Further discussion would perhaps disclose the TOS for this service / device so we would know for sure. In its current offering there doesn't seem to be anything that prevents someone from buying a hundred of these at that price and doing whatever they chose to do with them. I feel the question should remain in place.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
has anyone successfully unlocked this? It just showed up a week or so ago. THe cost is right if we can unlock it. Anyone?

THanks leon

I suppose it's OK to ask if anyone has ever done it. Beyond that, the information you are soliciting would be illegal to disclose in the U.S. Thus, it is not a proper subject for discussion on this forum and probably not smart from your standpoint as well although we'll leave that to you and your personal lawyer to sort out. :death:

Reaction score
I had a final thought on this...... A quick search of the ATA on Ebay showed a company that CLEARLY ties the purchase of the device to their monthly service. However if you don't like their service they say they will unlock the adapter for you so your not stuck with a useless device. So clearly it can be done but Walmart is selling it in such a way that clouds the issue.

http://www.nargle.com/ebay_701_Listing.html

Bradley P

Reaction score
I know this is a old thread, but in case anyone who comes across it I would like to say that the Basic Talk Box @ Walmart is now $4.48. About the legal issue of unlocking the box is not a criminal Issue, Violating a TOS agreement is a civil matter. If you buy it do as you wish with it. But yes it is very easy to unlock them. took me like 3 minutes to unlock it. But again it is up to the administration to determine if a thread should be removed.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mdauck
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.