GOOD NEWS GVsip: GVoice-to-SIP Gateway

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
I'm pleased to report that the first of two Google Voice to SIP Gateway services is now available. This first one is from the Vestalink (aka OBiVoice) folks. Another one from billsimon will be available shortly. This will work great with the new Incredible PBX for Elastix 2.5 and Incredible PBX for Asterisk-GUI platforms, both of which lack Google Voice support. This setup also uses the Google-supported OAUTH authentication methodology just like OBi devices and should survive discontinuance of "the old way" using Asterisk Motif. No guarantees obviously!

With the GVsip service, you pay a one-time $5 setup fee to get your Google Voice number associated with their SIP gateway. This brings free Google Voice calling in the U.S. and Canada to platforms that never supported Google Voice and Asterisk Motif. It's just another SIP trunk as far as Asterisk is concerned. It also greatly improves your odds of staying connected if Google removes support for insecure authentication methods down the road! Ask yourself "Is it worth 5 bucks not to lose my Google Voice connectivity?"

Other services such as CallerID lookup, E911, and Visual Voicemail are available (for a monthly fee) if you want them. If all you want is a GoogleVoice-to-SIP gateway, there are no recurring fees. No credit card required at all for the first 30 days. The $5 special expires on April 10.

Please use our signup link in step #2 below so that our open source projects get a little share of the revenue! Here are the steps:

1. Log into the Google Voice account you wish to use with the SIP gateway using a browser. Enable Google Chat option.

2. In another tab of the same browser, sign up for the service using our signup link.

3. Click on Get Access / Login with Google button.

4. Associate your Google account with GVsip (your GV password will NOT be compromised!)

5. Create a SIP trunk using your new GVsip credentials:

The FreePBX/Elastix/PIAF setup should look like this using your actual ACCTNO and ACCTPW and Google Voice number instead of 8005551212:

CBrqmQYUEAAoDdF.jpg:large

Directions for Incredible PBX for Asterisk-GUI platforms are included below.

6. Create Inbound and Outbound Routes for this SIP trunk as desired.

7. Connect Google Voice to Your GVsip account using the same browser.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
We now have a one-click installer to add GVsip trunk support to Incredible PBX for Asterisk-GUI builds. You'll need your account number and password from GVsip as well as a 2-digit dialing prefix to process outgoing calls via GVsip. Just download the installer and run the script. If you want to add multiple GVsip gateways, change the TRUNK=GVsip entry in the script to TRUNK=GVsip2 and run it again with a unique dialing prefix and TRUNK name for each trunk you add.
Code:
cd /root
wget http://incrediblepbx.com/gvsip-addon.tar.gz
tar zxvf gvsip-addon.tar.gz
rm -f gvsip-addon.tar.gz
./gvsip-addon.sh

IMPORTANT: Once you have run the script, don't forget to enable Google Voice for the new trunk using the GVsip web GUI.

Instructions for changing the Inbound call destination are included when you first run the script.

GPL2 Gotcha-Free license.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
GVsip was developed by the same guy that built OBiVoice, later Vestalink. No affiliation with our projects at all. However, he does pay out commissions on referrals which helps keep the lights on here. And we happen to like his implementations, especially GVsip.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Bill Simon's original work didn't support OAUTH authentication and required you to divulge your Google password. This is a major leap forward and Bill Simon intends to release a similar product soon.

tycho

Guru (not...)
Reaction score
Bill, I am still using your old gateway, off and on. Will be new Gateway require a new registration with you?

billsimon

Reaction score
Bill, I am still using your old gateway, off and on. Will be new Gateway require a new registration with you?

Yes. Because of the new authentication method to Google Voice we can't migrate accounts. And once this is running, I do not want to leave the old system running much longer.

Grant_N7AS

Reaction score
Yes. Because of the new authentication method to Google Voice we can't migrate accounts. And once this is running, I do not want to leave the old system running much longer.

Bill, On DSLR, you told me there will be a setup fee. Can you tell us how much it will be?

jrglass

Guru
Reaction score
We now have a one-click installer to add GVsip trunk support to Incredible PBX for Asterisk-GUI builds. You'll need your account number and password from GVsip as well as a 2-digit dialing prefix to process outgoing calls via GVsip. Just download the installer and run the script. If you want to add multiple GVsip gateways, change the TRUNK=GVsip entry in the script to TRUNK=GVsip2 and run it again with a unique dialing prefix and TRUNK name for each trunk you add.
Code:
cd /root
wget http://incrediblepbx.com/gvsip-addon.tar.gz
tar zxvf gvsip-addon.tar.gz
rm -f gvsip-addon.tar.gz
./gvsip-addon.sh

IMPORTANT: Once you have run the script, don't forget to enable Google Voice for the new trunk using the GVsip web GUI.

Instructions for changing the Inbound call destination are included when you first run the script.

GPL2 Gotcha-Free license.

In the original install of the Asterisk GUI I set of a Google Voice account Do I need to remove that?

Thanks,

Jeff

billsimon

Reaction score
Bill, On DSLR, you told me there will be a setup fee. Can you tell us how much it will be?

I am setting the connection fee at $5.99. A list of features that this one-time fee gets you is at simonics.com/services. And the re-launch of Google Voice Gateway is happening now with a promotional price of $3.99 until Friday. Supporters of our previous GVGW project over the past couple years get in for free.

tycho

Guru (not...)
Reaction score
I am setting the connection fee at $5.99. A list of features that this one-time fee gets you is at simonics.com/services . And the re-launch of Google Voice Gateway is happening now with a promotional price of $3.99 until Friday. Supporters of our previous GVGW project over the past couple years get in for free.

All good news. Thanks, and good luck!

(edit to add): Just signed up under the promo price. Donated to you at the initial launch of the original gateway, but haven't a clue as to exactly when or how and it's more trouble to dig that up than pop for the price of a nothing-special beer at the local tavern. Hope this venture is a success...

isaacl

Reaction score
Any recommendations which service to use, GVSip or Bill's service?
Any comparisons?

tycho

Guru (not...)
Reaction score
isaacl, Bill and Ryan, respectively, are the best sources, but after some brief tinkering I noticed a couple of distinctions:

GVSip allows you to change the GV DID associated with your account. Once logged-in with your credentials for your paid-for account, you can switch to a different GV DID and call-out reflecting that DID. I believe (but could be wrong) that Bill's Simonics gateway is associated with a single GV DID and login, and that another account would be required for a different GV DID/login.

Bill's Simonics gateway appears to include goodies that are extra-cost items with GVSip -- CNAM, for one.

billsimon

Reaction score
Thanks for the well-wishes.

I believe that changing outbound caller ID would have to mean using a separate SIP service or calling out on a different GV line. Google does not permit you to set an outbound caller ID other than that of the GV line itself. I'm not sure how GVSIP is doing the outbound caller ID switching but that seems like a good feature.

CNAM is included for everyone. This was a main draw to the original GV Gateway project for Obihai users, who could already connect to GV directly with their devices, but missed getting caller ID names. Also I think our extension-to-extension dialing and transferring when you register multiple SIP devices to the same gateway account is pretty useful.

phonebuff

Guru
Reaction score
@Bill,

So what exactly does one do to signup for your service and pay the $3.99 --

I don't see a sign up now button anywhere --

VaHam

Reaction score
Well I sprang for a couple of Bill's gateways and have them setup and working here. I set each one with the thought of using his multi-device setup and will play with that later. That feature seems very useful.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
GVsip matching Simon Telephonics intro price this week with coupon code: GVSIP1

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
serhii
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.