SOLVED gvoice Stopped Working

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
If you're experiencing problems (login failed errors) with the gvoice command line utility for Google Voice that includes support for sending SMS messages, here is the fix. Log into your server as root and...

Code:
cd /root
wget http://nerdvittles.dreamhosters.com/pbxinaflash/source/gvoice/gvoicefix.tar.gz
tar zxvf gvoicefix.tar.gz
cd bwpayne-pygooglevoice-auth-fix
python setup.py install
Then you can run a simple test:

Code:
gvoice -e [email protected] -p yourpassword send_sms 8431234567 "How are you?"
Our thanks to bwpayne for the fix.

MisterQ

Reaction score
THere would be a wget or curl command at the being of the second line of the instructions...

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Thanks.

I'm still testing this but... one reason you might like this command is that I've found that adding an hourly SMS message to yourself (like the above example) as a cron job seems to solve the problem with Google Voice numbers not answering calls 100% of the time.

It's starting to look like there is some sort of keep-alive activity that goes on with Google. Stay tuned. :rolleyes:

/root/smstest:
Code:
#!/bin/bash
gvoice -e [email protected] -p yourpassword send_sms your-gv-phone-number "How are you?"

/etc/crontab entry:
Code:
59 * * * * root /root/smstest

alauppe

Reaction score
I can't make this work. I've tried it on several platforms. I get "Login failed: '', Retry?[Y/n]"

Still working for you Ward?

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Just sent one from new machine. Worked great.

rossiv

Guru
Reaction score
I can't make this work. I've tried it on several platforms. I get "Login failed: '', Retry?[Y/n]"

Still working for you Ward?

When did you install your box? There was an update for the GVoice command that fixed a login error not that long ago.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
serhii
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.