1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you had a PIAF Forum account in the vBulletin days, log in with your old credentials. Otherwise, sign up again and we'll get you back in business as soon as we can.
  3. A serious FreePBX vulnerability has been reported. Update your Framework Module immediately. Click here for details.

SOLVED gvoice Stopped Working

Discussion in 'Bug Reporting and Fixes' started by wardmundy, Feb 18, 2012.

1. wardmundy Nerd Uno

If you're experiencing problems (login failed errors) with the gvoice command line utility for Google Voice that includes support for sending SMS messages, here is the fix. Log into your server as root and...

Code:
    cd /root
    wget http://nerdvittles.dreamhosters.com/pbxinaflash/source/gvoice/gvoicefix.tar.gz
    tar zxvf gvoicefix.tar.gz
    cd bwpayne-pygooglevoice-auth-fix
    python setup.py install

Then you can run a simple test:

Code:
    gvoice -e yourname@gmail.com -p yourpassword send_sms 8431234567 "How are you?"
    Our thanks to bwpayne for the fix.
  2. MisterQ Member

THere would be a wget or curl command at the being of the second line of the instructions...
  3. wardmundy Nerd Uno

Thanks.

I'm still testing this but... one reason you might like this command is that I've found that adding an hourly SMS message to yourself (like the above example) as a cron job seems to solve the problem with Google Voice numbers not answering calls 100% of the time.

It's starting to look like there is some sort of keep-alive activity that goes on with Google. Stay tuned. :rolleyes:

/root/smstest:
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    gvoice -e youremail@gmail.com -p yourpassword send_sms your-gv-phone-number "How are you?"

/etc/crontab entry:
    Code:
    59 * * * * root /root/smstest

4. alauppe Member

I can't make this work. I've tried it on several platforms. I get "Login failed: '', Retry?[Y/n]"

Still working for you Ward?
  5. wardmundy Nerd Uno

Just sent one from new machine. Worked great.
  6. rossiv Guru

When did you install your box? There was an update for the GVoice command that fixed a login error not that long ago.