TIPS Google Voice (Motif)

Kimberly

Reaction score
I am a little bit unsure about the different boards and where to post stuff.

However, this is about Google Voice (motif) module and not where I should be posting stuff. I had trouble getting a connection to my google voice account. Yes, I do know that Google will terminate the XMPP protocol at some point but until that time I wanted to set up outgoing Google Voice; my gv number is transferred to a DID so even if XMPP connections dies tomorrow I can still receive my google voice calls. I signed into my voice account and checked the settings, everything looked fine. So I came here searching the forums and someone mentioned Hangouts; which I don't use. So I went to the gmail account, which I don't use either; Google's tying everything through Gmail is a rant I could go on for hours about but won't here. In my gmail account I saw a message from Google that they blocked the connection and they sent me a link to the account security settings. There I found "Use less secure apps". I enabled the feature and my connection to Google Voice connected.

Therefore, I am wondering about the "Less secure apps" setting and if that is what is needed to allow the Google Voice (Motif) module to connect to my Google voice account.

Medfordite

Reaction score
Hi Kimberly,

I'm not sure if you are running Motif through an external IP other than one Google sees you normally log in from. If this is the case, they will block the connection as part of their security. You work around this by using their unlock capcha service:

https://accounts.google.com/b/0/DisplayUnlockCaptcha

Basically, you load that page, click the button and then attempt to make a call or whatnot through Asterisk, this will send the authentication to Google once more, but this time Google will open it up for you. I have never had to open up "less secure apps" in my account so, I would try this to see if it helps.

If you are running from your office or home where the IP is consistent, then Google might be sensing something that is weird with it.

AndyInNYC

Reaction score
Additionally, I believe you need to be fully logged out of the account on all of your other devices to allow the phone to ring through the PBX.

Andrew

Medfordite

Reaction score
Additionally, I believe you need to be fully logged out of the account on all of your other devices to allow the phone to ring through the PBX.

Andrew

In my instances, I have not needed to be fully logged out of the account on all other devices to make it work. I am active and signed in on my main Google Voice number in my browser all the time and also via my Android through the Hangouts and their chat with no issues.

donnib

Reaction score
I did not succeed in connecting my GV without enabling the Less secure option, as soon as i enabled that it connected in a sec. Idk why but i did try the DisplayUnlockCaptcha but it did not help unless i was doing it wrong.

1. It accessed the link above
2. Logged in into GV
3. Then i did a amportal restart and still it did not want to connect.

I have an european IP address, idk if that makes a difference.

ohrass

Reaction score
All weekend I searched and searched, and Kimberly.thank you , also donnib. The Captcha is a thing of the past, I must have done that a dozen times and no joy. I enabled Less Secure one time and it worked ..then once connected I went back and disabled it. There was an email in my gmail account about a failed attempt from my IP address and the email provided the link.
Of course I may push the envelope to see just how many gvoice numbers (5 or below) I can have without pissing off the Googles :)

ohrass

Reaction score
Oh yeah I was still logged in to both gmail and gvoice account when my status changed from disconnected to connected

tycho

Guru (not...)
Reaction score
All weekend I searched and searched, and Kimberly.thank you , also donnib. The Captcha is a thing of the past, I must have done that a dozen times and no joy. I enabled Less Secure one time and it worked ..then once connected I went back and disabled it. There was an email in my gmail account about a failed attempt from my IP address and the email provided the link.

Not sure I'm following: Are you saying that you enabled Less Secure, Motif started working, and you were able to go back and disable Less Secure (i.e., return to "More Secure") and that Motif would continue to work?

Or, when you say "There was an email in my gmail account about a failed attempt from my IP address" does that mean Motif went back to not working after you went back to disable Less Secure (i.e., returned to "More Secure")?

ohrass

Reaction score
First question the answer is yes

second question no the emailcame before but once I followed Kimberly 's suggestion all was well

ohrass

Reaction score
um, I actually had to enable "less secure" because The Googles started blocking me again , the good news is it went to connected after a screen refresh

tycho

Guru (not...)
Reaction score
That's been my experience, and that's why I asked. Thanks for the update!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nikko
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.