TIPS Google Voice Missing Chat

Marvin

Reaction score
Last week I installed two IncrediblePBX systems (Ubuntu 14.04.1 IncrediblePBX12) and had no issues getting GV to connect. This week however is a different story, no matter what I try I cannot get GV to connect through the GV motift but will connect using an Obi200.

I have made a call from my PC to a friend through the GV number, then turned off chat. The GV password has no special characters in the password (Numbers and text only) and I have gone through the process to allow GV to be accessed from a different location and did an amportal reset, but none of this works. I found an article that suggest that if I go to google hangouts and change some GV settings there it may fix my problem however I can't find any GV settings in the Hangouts setting section to change. Any help would be appreciated.

Update, I did find the GV Hangouts settings and made sure that receive sms and voicemail in Hangouts was unchecked (it was unchecked by default).

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Just an FYI that I was able to create a new Gmail and Google Voice account yesterday with Google Chat as well as Hangouts BOTH enabled by default. This means you get the best of both worlds. It appears the previous Google policy that Google Chat and Hangouts were mutually exclusive and that Google Chat was going by the wayside has been abandoned. That's good news for those that use Google Voice with Asterisk.

In other news, Google apparently is working on another feature for Google Voice... http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/0...ular-phone-service-compete-big-four-carriers/

Twilight Sparkle

https://voip.ms/en/invite/MjM2MjQ4
Reaction score
ha so sad Google MVNO.... just means all there plans will be just like all the others.

im sad to see this. hope they build there own network soon not get a ride MVNO-ing

bobkoure

Reaction score
If their plans are going to be 'like all the others' I'm not sure why they'd bother.

But I think MVNOs are generally a force for the good - sort of like independent insurance agents. Sometimes someone with more buying power can negotiate a better deal (or get a claim paid) better than you can all by your lonesome.

Twilight Sparkle

Reaction score
i love MVNO's i use them all the time Page Plus, H2O, Net10, Red Pocket.
i just hope they dont have the same plans like them all

H2O - Red Pocket - Net10 Blue - Cricket = AT&T Network
Net10 Pink - Ultra Mobile - Simple Mobile - Simple Mobile = T-Mobile Network
They also has Sprint mvno's Boost - Virgin Mobile - & SureLinkMobile & MOre
They also has Verizon - Page Pluse, reachout mobile, & simple mobile red

but if you look closely they have most of the same plans!

Cricket Wireless is the best for Non-Contract

Twilight Sparkle

Reaction score
GOOGLE VOICE UPDATE - this might kill google voice
Google to shut down Gtalk on February 16! Time to say Good Bye to Gtalk unsure emoticon
Visit: http://goo.gl/ELLRh5

Allen Ford

Reaction score
OMG I been searching for hours to get my new Google voice number working in asterisk , Thanks @Twilight Sparkle for this post, dam i have that number on my business cards too lol, I guess i can forward it to my other DID's but there go the free calls

bobkoure

Reaction score
Yeah. Didn't we already do a death watch?

Personally, I don't see a huge difference between 'free' and less than a penny a minute - but we've discussed that to death, too.

Cynjut

Reaction score
Free is fun and cool and everything, but I can't imagine making it a part of my business plan. There are lots of VOIP providers out that that charge under $10 a month for phone service - I use Call With Us, Alcazar, and Voip Innovations for my SIP needs, and I don't think I've spent more than $5 a month in years for my own phones.

Full disclosure - I resell a couple of those, so I do see phone bills higher than that, but MY phones never use more than a couple of dollars a month. Vitelity and SIP Station are also good choices (I just don't sell or use them).

It's not like it's a donation - expense the service and avoid paying taxes on that income. It comes 100% out of your profits, so it's not like your home phone, where it costs you money that you already paid taxes on.

Huckda

Guru
Reaction score
I moved off a week before the 15th(previously stated date)...
unfortunately users noticed...

bobkoure

Reaction score
I left a GVoice number connected to my PBX - but it goes directly to It'sLenny.
I call it once in a while and still get "...Hullo! It's Lenny... I can barely hear ya there...".

When I get the Google Lady telling me the call can't be completed (or just go to GV voicemail) I'll know GTalk is actually dead)

So far, it isn't, though.

tycho

Guru (not...)
Reaction score
GV is still my daily driver for personal inbound/outbound calling, and will be until it folds. For my purposes it "just works." Have many alternatives that I can roll-out in a moment's notice when the time comes...

the_toph

Reaction score
I created a new Google Voice and Gmail account today... the 'Google Chat' option didn't show up in GV settings.
In the Detailed Status area of Motif, it showed connected, but all calls still went to Google voicemail and no activity was showing on the Asterisk CLI.

The trick was to make one call in Gmail first. When i hit the Call button, a message showed saying something like "Please hold while we configure your account."
After it had configured and I made one call, the 'Google Chat' checkbox appeared in the GV settings. I checked it, and calls now route appropriately through Asterisk!

rchalk

Reaction score
I had a tough time with a new account, but here is how I fixed it...

Go to the gmail account, and load a profile picture. It will then appear to the left of the contacts list.
Click on the actual picture, and at the bottom of the pop-up, you will see "revert to Google Chat" Click that link, and then place a call, and you will get the message in the previous post. When completed, go back to Google Voice, refresh the screen, and you should see the Google Chat option at the bottom of the list.

Done.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leocipriano
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.