FOOD FOR THOUGHT g729 sounds bad

Viperlx

Reaction score
So I bought the g729 codec for Csipsimple, have it installed on my PBX server, and Vestalink supports it. It seems the sounds is machine like and breaks up too much. Is there a way to pass the audio through the PBX server without any transcoding being done to the call?

atsak

Guru
Reaction score
That's likely the issue; even LTE will cause that kind of problem. Try increasing / forcing the jitter buffer on.

Reaction score
Can I ask what model phone you are running on? I know Motorola phones in particular I have had tons of issues running VOIP on them with audio problems.

Viperlx

Reaction score
I am confused with the situation. My phone is a Samsung S4 so the processor should be enough for a decent compression codex.

While in Brazil, I used silk 12 for void and the quality over 3g was amazing. Here in the states, T-Mobile is junk with better coverage and connection compared to Brazil.

Are carriers known for throttling voip ports?

Viperlx

Reaction score
I have not called them but will tomorrow. In the meantime for a work around, is there an audio pass through option?

Reaction score
I am confused with the situation. My phone is a Samsung S4 so the processor should be enough for a decent compression codex.

While in Brazil, I used silk 12 for void and the quality over 3g was amazing. Here in the states, T-Mobile is junk with better coverage and connection compared to Brazil.

Are carriers known for throttling voip ports?

If you are saying you are using T-Mobile, they do throttle everything once you reach a certain usage depending on your plan. They slow all the way down to EDGE speed so maybe thats the issue?? Now if you are their 4G not LTE the latency on it is terrible, but other than that with the phone you are using you shouldn't be having any issues. I use G729 on S4's, S5's, Note2 & Note3's, HTC One's with no problems. The only phones I have had issues with are the Motorola phones where I have audio problems. I use AT&T, Sprint, and Verizon all with no issues using G729. I use Mediaphone and Zoiper for my softphone BTW.

Viperlx

Reaction score
If you are saying you are using T-Mobile, they do throttle everything once you reach a certain usage depending on your plan. They slow all the way down to EDGE speed so maybe thats the issue?? Now if you are their 4G not LTE the latency on it is terrible, but other than that with the phone you are using you shouldn't be having any issues. I use G729 on S4's, S5's, Note2 & Note3's, HTC One's with no problems. The only phones I have had issues with are the Motorola phones where I have audio problems. I use AT&T, Sprint, and Verizon all with no issues using G729. I use Mediaphone and Zoiper for my softphone BTW.

5gb is my limit, but I never went over so the throttling wasn't it. Now that you have mentioned the latency on LTE, it would make sense with the delays. When in Brazil, I was on a 3g connection and the latency was minimal and coming here and having the delays would make sense.

Have you tried Csipsimple yet? This has been my only sipclient for now because it has the g729 licence associated with it.

Reaction score
I tried it once and I didn't have any luck with it. I've had better luck with Zoiper on Android phones and Mediaphone on iOS.

markd89

Reaction score
Old thread but FYI I am using CSIPSimple with g.729. The key to good quality was to disable echo cancellation.

YMMV

synack

Guru
Reaction score
g711 is plain old ulaw (or alaw depending on your location). yes it's free. patents expired years ago.

synack

Guru
Reaction score
u/aLaw is the most compatible across the board. (phones <-> server <-> sip provider) . Many SIP providers will only support u/aLaw. some support g729a, which is very light on bandwidth at a tradeoff of quality. GSM is ok too.
Basically if you can support 64Kbit of Internet bandwidth/channel, stick with u/aLaw. That is until the HD codecs become more popular. (G722 and AMR-WB)
Also, if you have a beefy server that can support on-the-fly transcoding, run G722 locally if your phones support it. The quality difference is astounding (and still only uses 64Kb). I really wish the SIP providers would start supporting it, but I guess they don't want to have to transcode down to uLaw for POTS.

Twilight Sparkle

https://voip.ms/en/invite/MjM2MjQ4
Reaction score
u/aLaw is the most compatible across the board. (phones <-> server <-> sip provider) . Many SIP providers will only support u/aLaw. some support g729a, which is very light on bandwidth at a tradeoff of quality. GSM is ok too.
Basically if you can support 64Kbit of Internet bandwidth/channel, stick with u/aLaw. That is until the HD codecs become more popular. (G722 and AMR-WB)
Also, if you have a beefy server that can support on-the-fly transcoding, run G722 locally if your phones support it. The quality difference is astounding (and still only uses 64Kb). I really wish the SIP providers would start supporting it, but I guess they don't want to have to transcode down to uLaw for POTS.

so should i only check ulaw & gsm? as default and keep ulaw above gsm

synack

Guru
Reaction score
Probably. You haven't said what your sip provider or your phones support, but those are fairly safe and decent choices.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
serhii
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.