DEAL Free Intel Galileo board, will it run PiaF?

SteveM

Reaction score
Similar to the Raspberry Pi and Beaglebone Black, another small development board is the Intel Galileo. Currently it appears Microsoft are giving these away to developers at https://www.windowsondevices.com/
Put your details on that page and you will get an email from Microsoft requesting further details on where to send your starter kit.
Even though these are being given to promote windows, these device run Linux and may make a suitable platform for PiaF. Even if it doesn't it provides a new toy to play with.

jeff.h

Guru
Reaction score
That's good news phoneguy I've been looking at something to replace my Foxconn atom boxes and this might be the ticket. Am also looking at BeagleBoneBlack.

Jay Deal

Phhhhhhhhttttttt :)
Reaction score
Put your details on that page and you will get an email from Microsoft requesting further details on where to send your starter kit.

How long did it take for you to receive the Microsoft email requesting details? It's been a couple hours and I haven't seen anything.

krzykat

Telecom Strategist
Reaction score
We have a new appliance coming out from FreePBX that includes this processor. Its a sweet processor and faster then the atom.

Is it equal or better specs than a Foxconn?

visionlogic

Guru? Nope
Reaction score
...Currently it appears Microsoft are giving these away to developers at https://www.windowsondevices.com/ Put your details on that page and you will get an email from Microsoft requesting further details on where to send your starter kit...

Signed up, got the confirming email. But unless what they refer to as a "hardware development kit" is the actual Galileo board I don't see anywhere that they will actually be sending the board itself.

"We want to thank you for your interest on windowsondevices.com, and we are super excited to have you participate in the “Windows Developer Program for IoT”. We would like to share our SDK and a hardware development kit with you. In order to mail you the kit, please click on the link below to provide your address and a bit more information."

EDIT 2014/07/07: Looks like my negative interpretation of the Microsoft signup page was too harsh. This page from the Intel Developer Zone ( https://software.intel.com/en-us/iotdevkit ) states: "The Intel® IOT Developer Kit includes best-in-class software tools and cloud connectivity from Intel and Wind River and an Intel® Galileo development board on which to test and build new apps." So I'm more inclined to think that indeed the board is sent out.

Jay Deal

Reaction score
Here's a twist for you. My earlier comment about how long it took to receive the confirmation email, the first time I sent it to my Microsoft account and it never showed up. The second time I submitted a request, I sent it to Gmail and it got to me within seconds. Go figure!

jeff.h

Guru
Reaction score
I didn't get one to my @me address but I did get one at my gmail account as well.

SteveM

Reaction score
It seems very hit and miss on getting a reply. If you haven't heard in an hour, try again as I have heard of some people using the same address a second time a day later and it working.

Jay Deal

Reaction score
You know what's coming next.....Due to overwhelming response, there will be a significant delay in the delivery of your kit. Please accept our sincerest apologies with the knowledge we are working diligently to resolve and mitigate any delays you may experience. Thanks again for your continued interest in and support of Intel and Microsoft products.

jeff.h

Guru
Reaction score
Has anyone seen any updates yet? I have not heard back since my original signup request.

jeff.h

Guru
Reaction score
That sucks. I got the we'll be in touch when it ships email, but that's it.

jeff.h

Guru
Reaction score
I didn't get any on my Me.com (Apple) account, but I did on my work and gmail accounts. Some took a couple tries.

mbellot

Reaction score
Just got this today...

M$ said:
While we are continuing our program, we have finished allocating all the Intel Galileo boards that we purchased. If you were allocated a kit then you should have received either a tracking number or an email saying a kit was allocated to you. If you haven’t received either of those two emails you will still be able to participate in the Windows Developer Program for IoT using a retail board.

:rolleyes:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nikko
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.