FYI Free Android Hangouts Calls

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
It's finally here for those of you without an iPhone. If you have an Android phone that doesn't yet have the latest Hangouts 2.3 which lets you make free calls in the U.S. and Canada, here's how to install.

1. Install Hangouts Dialer from the Play Store
2. Follow prompts to update Hangouts on your phone

Jay Deal

Phhhhhhhhttttttt :)
Reaction score
I would think some caution should be exercised by PIAF users to see what impact this has on being able to use Google Voice on * servers. My thought is by using the Hangout app on your Android phone, you might seal your fate (so to speak) in making the transition to Hangouts vs. still having the option to use chat (and being able to connect via XMPP). Hoping I am wrong as it would be nice to use GV numbers on Android again but I personally am going to wait a few days to see feedback on what happens when you implement this software.

tycho

Guru (not...)
Reaction score
I read the thread on DSLR, downloaded the .apk and dialer this afternoon, and installed them on an Asus MemoPad HD7. Works quite well over my home WiFi...

Jay Deal, I hear what you are saying but I doubt any groundswell of PIAF users moving to Hangouts will change whatever it is that Google is planning to do ... or not do. ;-P

Jay Deal

Phhhhhhhhttttttt :)
Reaction score
What I was referring to, there was a minor panic a few months back right after May when some people were not able to find the chat option available to connect to Asterisk or Obi devices. Turned out to be a short duration issue but some thought it a harbinger of things to come (i.e. no more XMPP in the near future). I don't know anything more than any body else, however because of the lack of communication from google about the future of GV, you have to tea leaf read and gleen what ever you can from the ether that results. So in a nut shell, your guess is as good as mine.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Jay Deal: You're absolutely right. Don't use a Google Voice account for Hangouts that you previously or in the future may want to use as a Google Voice trunk on PIAF or Incredible PBX. It's an either-or situation with Hangouts and XMPP.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score

w1ve

Guru
Reaction score
Lots of the Hangout 2.3 APK download sites try to install virus software.
I just went to the Play Store and installed the Hangout dialer. Then, when I ran it, it said "You need to update Hangouts", and presented a "Do it now" button, which then installed 2.3 from the play store!
This is funny because there is no 2.3 direct download on the play store.

Worked Fine on my Galaxy S5.

tycho

Guru (not...)
Reaction score
Lots of the Hangout 2.3 APK download sites try to install virus software.
I just went to the Play Store and installed the Hangout dialer. Then, when I ran it, it said "You need to update Hangouts", and presented a "Do it now" button, which then installed 2.3 from the play store!
This is funny because there is no 2.3 direct download on the play store.

Worked Fine on my Galaxy S5.

w1ve, I'd read on some forum (so, factor in the appropriate credibility factor) that an intial version of the APK and the integration was buggy enough that Google thereafter forced an update that was actually a backdate. Maybe that's what you experienced.

Me, I downloaded the APK from a reputable site, scanned it, installed it to an Android tablet (not phone), and it works peachy.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nikko
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.