FOOD FOR THOUGHT Faxing Problem with PIAF

John Taber

Reaction score
Has anyone addressed this issue:

http://issues.freepbx.org/browse/FREEPBX-7094

I'm currently having the same problem:

[2014-12-23 14:45:10] NOTICE[9212][C-00000005] res_fax.c: FAX CNG detected but no fax extension in context (from-did-direct)
Inbound route set to detect for 4 seconds. Tried both SIP and DAHDI.
Also - extension set to receive fax as PDF and email
John

John Taber

Reaction score
I'm really starting to question whether or not this is the right direction for us. Would it be better to use FreePBX without PIAF on top? Doesn't seem like PIAF has the support. I'm just asking honest opinion. When things are broken in PIAF, Where can I purchase and receive quality / production support?

Is FreePBX the better play with a company like Schmooze?

John

phonebuff

Guru
Reaction score
John,

question whether or not this is the right direction for us.

The answer is no, anyone trying to implement Fax these days is just crazy, you should be doing scan to email and email to ............. (Your application here) for inbound processing. Fax is basically an Analog technology that has been somewhat adjusted for the digital age with the T38 protocols.

Second, FreePBX is a code generator, and rather you run it on their distro or PBXinaFlash the output should be fairly consistent. But read Wards latest blog(s) to get a feel for the coming and going in the community.

Third, for anyone to offer help you would need to post much more detail. You post is like saying I have a car, what brake pads should I install.

Lastly, I don't have the link handy but there was a post about iax-2 modems for Fax, Hylafax is what's used, do some searches here.

http://www.hylafax.org/content/Main_Page

atsak

Guru
Reaction score
Just don't fax. It's nearly 2015 - scan and email.

billsimon

Reaction score
John,

Rather than questioning your business case for fax, I'll offer some ideas on how to get it to work. (Come on Gurus, let's be hospitable.)

If you are using the FreePBX module, which it sounds like you are, you'll need to get the Fax for Asterisk or spandsp fax module loaded (either one is fine; spandsp is free) and then FreePBX should enable the parts you need.

The PIAF way is to skip the Asterisk fax modules and use Hylafax.

I'm pretty sure these are exclusive of one another. Actually I haven't used Hylafax but everyone who does use it, seems to swear by it.

Can you test out your current setup by using a direct DID to fax rather than fax detection?

Also, it's unclear what you mean when you say "Tried both SIP and DAHDI." -- do you mean you tried having fax calls come in on a SIP trunk and then on a DAHDI port and you saw the same results?

atsak

Guru
Reaction score
I'm actually being facetious for the purpose of making a point. Fax over SIP doesn't work 100%. You can get it almost there, but never quite 100%. I'm really just trying to save John a big headache trying to use something that might not be suitable because it's not 100%.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
I can't recall ANY fax technology that's ever worked 100%. If that's the goal, you're going to be sorely disappointed. HylaFax with AvantFax is as good as it gets without any need to ever spend a dime.

John Taber

Reaction score
Thanks all for the replies! I have had luck sip faxing on other fax servers using sip providers that support t38 like babytel.

I was having problems with freepbx when doing this test and thought based on my experience and what I copied into this post it appeared that the piaf distribution may have broken the freepbx implementation.

I've heard good things about avant fax and Hylafax also (ward and bill) I'll try them out. I know commercial rightfax, faxmaker, Nextgen Emr using virtual Broadcom adapters has worked reliably, I was just looking for an all asterisk solution. This is a great start.

Thanks again.

Lastly, what color piaf would you all recommend in production (no implied warranty, I understand) I've been installing green

John

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
PIAF-Green with FreePBX 2.11 is the way to go for the foreseeable future.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
serhii
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.