SOLVED fail2ban broken after update-source

jeff.h

Guru
Reaction score
PIAF Green 2.0.6.5 all modules and packages were current prior to running update-source, but I noticed that the kernel and asterisk versions were older than some other boxes that were newer installs from the same ISO.

So, I ran update-source and now fail2ban will not start. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling it via YUM and it will come online, but will not survive a reboot. After that I cannot get the service to start.

darmock

PIAF Developer
Reaction score
why did you run update-source? Just curious if everything was working. No idea about fail2ban will add it to the list

TOm

jeff.h

Guru
Reaction score
Ok I think I made some progress on troubleshooting this.

I created a VM in Parallels as a brand new install of 2.0.6.5 32 bit and installed all modules and updates that you can get with the basic, extended and unsupported repos did a reboot and everything was fine, just as I have always experienced. Then when I went to commercial and installed sysadmin (2.11.0.40) and did an immediate reboot fail2ban originally started during the boot up until it got to where it says Starting Asterisk. When it got to that point fail2ban shuts down OK, but fails to restart, shows offline and the service will not start even when tried manually after its fully booted.

If I remove and install via YUM it comes online and survives rebooting.

I than ran update-fixes and fail2ban broke again. Remove and install fail2ban and it works again, however it resets the jail.local so I had to go to the system admin page in the freepbx gui and hit the submit button for it to rewrite the file properly.

During update-source it again breaks, but after it's all finished I can remove and install fail2ban again and it works. I still had to refresh the jail.local through the system admin module, but it's all working properly from what I can tell.

One a side but somewhat related note, when I run update-fixes it keeps failing when it tries to download fopfix29.tgz from all servers it tries. I can verify that my internet connectivity is just fine :)

darmock

PIAF Developer
Reaction score
/etc/yum.repos.d/schmooze.repo

add the line

exclude=fail2ban

prior to running update source

if it is broken then it is the version in the schmooze repo

If it is not broken then add the same line to the piaf64.repo and see if the problem is there. If not then it is something else!

Tom

jeff.h

Guru
Reaction score
Quick update.... added that line to schmooze.repo and ran update-source. It broke again immediately upon the required reboot after the kernel upgrade. It's running through the rest of the update now.

darmock

PIAF Developer
Reaction score
hmm must be some other interaction will think on this

jeff.h

Guru
Reaction score
Ok, so I have played around with this some more and fail2ban breaks after every reboot even if I remove and install. After a remove and install I can start the fail2ban service, but it will not survive a reboot.

What I have noticed is that this is just with kernel 2.6.32-431.5.1.el6.i686 - 32 Bit.

Everything works just fine with kernel 2.6.32-431.1.2.0.1.el6.i686 - 32 Bit , which by the way is the one that was installed from the PIAF-Green 2.0.6.5 ISO. I'll refrain from singing too many refrains of "thou shalt not randomly update the kernel"... publicly at least.... :(

darmock

PIAF Developer
Reaction score
On one of your problem vm's try adding

isolinux=0 (thats a zero not an O"

at the end of the kernel line

I noticed some oddities in the latest kernel from SL. Since I dont develop for CO at all anymore that might do something. On the other hand it might not.

PIAF3 Scientific Linux however will always install the most recent kernel so will have to keep an eye on this.

Tom

jeff.h

Guru
Reaction score
Hold the phone.... Schmooze just released a module update for System Admin (2.11.0.41). I ran that on the machine that was broken with kernel 2.6.32-431.5.1.el6.i686 - 32 Bit and all is well now.

Going to update to that version and run update-source on one of my VMs that is still kernel 2.6.32-431.1.2.0.1.el6.i686 - 32 Bit and see what happens.

jeff.h

Guru
Reaction score
Upgraded to System Admin 2.11.0.41 then ran update-source, updated to kernel 2.6.32-431.5.1.el6.i686 - 32 Bit and everything is working as it should now.

darmock

PIAF Developer
Reaction score
Ah! Gratifying to know it was something beyond PIAF's control. Thanks for your diligence

Tom

centoasa

Reaction score
I've follow instruction, but after update to 2.6.32-431.11.2.el6.i686 and asterisk 11.7, fail2ban say me "failed" at boot

centoasa

Reaction score
by webmin I've disable from boot fail2ban, but booting piaf, I still see fail2ban [FAILED] message

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nikko
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.