GO HERE External Ringer?

rjm

Guru
Reaction score
I have a client with multiple locations where the employees keep shutting off the phones. I want to install an external ringer that they wouldn't know how to shut off. Does anyone know of any hardware that would do this inexpensively? My target price would be <$50.

deeiche

Reaction score
An idea

Raspberry Pi configured as extension, when call directed to extension run system cmd that toggles one of the GPIO relays, ringer connected through GPIO relay.

tycho

Guru (not...)
Reaction score
I just purchased a Basic Talk ATA that is a private label version of the Grandstream HT701. There is a thread on the DSLReports forum that describes how to overwrite the custom firmware with standard Grandstream firmware. I bought one of these basic talk telephone adapters from Walmart for $8.31 delivered and today converted it to a standard Grandstream HT701 in about 15 minutes or less.

Let me know if you would like a link to the specific thread and I will post it as an additional reply.

rjm

Guru
Reaction score
Thank you everyone for the outstanding suggestions!

geopeterwc

Guru
Reaction score
Let me know if you would like a link to the specific thread and I will post it as an additional reply.
Would appreciate the link(s) that had the information that you found helpful ... the information that I've found so far is off-putting enough to leave me reluctant to try the unlock procedure. (Shades of the PAP2 days of yore.) But your success is encouraging.

Thanks in advance.
/Pete./

Reaction score

tycho

Guru (not...)
Reaction score
Hadn't ever seen the thread, from back in 2013, pointed to by briankelly63. Like some in this forum, I, too, am an attorney -- a long-time telco attorney at that -- and I guess I have a different view than several espoused in that old thread. I purchased my device from Walmart, for my personal use, with no strings or conditions whatsoever. I'll leave it at that and move on.

Reaction score
Hadn't ever seen the thread, from back in 2013, pointed to by briankelly63. Like some in this forum, I, too, am an attorney -- a long-time telco attorney at that -- and I guess I have a different view than several espoused in that old thread. I purchased my device from Walmart, for my personal use, with no strings or conditions whatsoever. I'll leave it at that and move on.
The issue seemed to be that some resellers had no strings attached, which may or may not have been their intention, but others clearly tied the device to their service. Since it's such a cheap device the "limitations" seem to be a little fuzzy. Certainly if someone like Walmart sold it with no strings then I guess they are saying their not willing to try to enforce any provisions so why bother to have them in the first place. Most places solve that issue by having some upfront charge that covers their costs.

tycho

Guru (not...)
Reaction score
Certainly if someone like Walmart sold it with no strings then I guess they are saying their not willing to try to enforce any provisions so why bother to have them in the first place.
In this instance I don't think there are any provisions to enforce -- certainly not by Walmart. And not by BasicTalk either I'd argue.

I purchased a piece of CPE, from a big-box store, which piece of CPE and its packaging offers"available" (their word, not mine, connoting something optional; non-required; at extra-cost) home-phone service. There was no "shrink-wrap" provision/seal on the box, and nothing other than offers to sell outside or inside the box.

Upon turning the device on and accessing its web server I was greeted by no click-through licensing terms or "by using this device and it's embedded software you agree to our terms" language. As to replacing the embedded software under existing law, well, that's a pretty complicated subject but given my knowledge and background I'm quite comfortable with the actions that I have taken.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbradford
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.