Everex gPC mini $359

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Well, Everex is back with a vengeance. And NewEgg has the new core duo system that looks like a Mac mini or an Apple TV. It's sale priced at $359. Should be perfect for the VPN in a Flash remote office. Intel Core Duo T2450 (2.0GHz) with 2GB of RAM, 160GB SATA drive, DVD-ROM/DVD-RAM/DVD+/-RW Drive, BlueTooth, wired LAN and WiFi. Remember to set up your eBates account through our link and save 2% + $5 at NewEgg. Includes free shipping.

83-118-007-04.jpg

Source: Nerd Vittles

hkgonra

knows just enough to be dangerous
Reaction score
I wonder if they will release one with no os ?
Should be even cheaper.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
You'd think so. But this is a pretty sweet price. Everex sells a similar unit with Linux, a slower processor, a smaller hard disk, and 25% of the RAM for $120 more. :crazy:

hmonroe

Reaction score
I too was thinking of this MSI Wind unit for PBIAF. I'm looking for something small and low power for home. I don't want to burn up a lot of power running a computer 24x7 for phone service. Need to add RAM, 2.5 inch HD & Bluetooth

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Just a heads up that NewEgg has a few open box editions on sale this weekend for $299. This is by far the best (non)Atom-based PC we've found. Construction quality easily matches the Mac mini. Better hurry.

lrandall

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the open box model includes a power supply? I'd hate to have to run down accessories for the unit.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
If it doesn't say it's missing, it'll be included. It's shown in the writeup:

AC Adapter
65W ([email protected]) Auto sensing external AC Adapter (100-240V~1.5A, 50-60Hz)

hraynor

Guru
Reaction score
Note: This box is NOT ATom based. Its Core Duo based.

Which frankly, should make it a lot faster than an Atom (even a dual core Atom).

The Atom processors currently out (to my knowledge) are all 1.6 GHz, and are more like a "souped up" Pentium processor (built on more advanced manufacturing techniques) than a Core Duo. Which is why they consume FAR less power. ie: a single core Atom (CPU only) consumes about 4 W of power (FOUR) and dual around 8 W. (its the Intel 945 chipset responsible for the board overall going much higher).

At the moment, there are only 3 Atom processors available, and all MUST be purchased with a motherboard (I believe they're all soldered in). These are:

Atom 230 - single core 1.6 GHz - designed for desktops/nettops.

Atom 330 - DUAL core 1.6 GHz - designed for desktops/nettops

Atom 270 - SINGLE core 1.6 GHz - designed for notebooks/netbooks

And supposedly an Atom 280 is coming out shortly - again for notebooks, its a tad faster (barely) at around 1.65 GHz (if I remember correctly), and I think is more tied to a new chipset.

The 230 and 330 come on boards today with one chipset choise - the INtel 945GC which consumes a bunch of power by comparison.

The 270 typically comes with the Intel GMA 950 chipset.

I did see a few higher priced machines out there with the Z520 or whatever AToms (1.33 GHz and 1.6, all single core), can't remember the difference here, but these aren't the mainstream Atoms.

Just wanted to clarify. The Everex machine mentioned should probably spank up on an Atom quite handily I would guess.

abject

Reaction score
A couple of ~$200 alternatives

My sweet spot is around 200 bucks. Here are two that I've been mulling over:

1. MSI Wind-based - $193 + Tax and Shipping, Atom 230 + 2Gb + 80GB sata (and has a CF slot), "some assembly required", from Newegg:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856167032
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820208341
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148231

2. Or - I really like this one - from Axiontech, assembled
$230 + Tax & ship - add $14.95 to have them test it before shipping - dual core Atom 330 + 2GB RAM + 80GB SATA + Slim CD/DVD/R/RW
http://axiontech.com/prdt.php?item=75242

Note: I think the $14.95 for testing is probably a good deal; otherwise, you, the buyer, have to troubleshoot and RMA the components, piece-by-piece, if there's a problem.

I've dealt with Axiontech a few times in the past, and found them "Newegg-like". But, according to ResellerRatings, http://www.resellerratings.com/store/AxionTech_6#reviews , a few people have had problems lately with out-of-stock and RMAs.

- Larry.

wolfeman

Reaction score
What is the best install for this? I tried a regular install but it keeps failing when starting xwindows.
-Scott

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
/etc/X11/xorg.conf

Add an xorg.conf file like the following in /etc/X11:

HTML:
# Xorg configuration created by system-config-display

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier     "Default Layout"
    Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
    InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier  "Keyboard0"
    Driver      "kbd"
    Option        "XkbModel" "pc105"
    Option        "XkbLayout" "us"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier  "Videocard0"
    Driver      "vesa"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Screen0"
    Device     "Videocard0"
    DefaultDepth     8
    SubSection "Display"
        Viewport   0 0
        Depth     8
    EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"
    Depth 8
    Modes "800x600"
    EndSubSection
EndSection

wolfeman

Reaction score
Thanks. But what is failing is when I do a PBIAF install and centos launches xwindows for the install for its prompts.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Sorry. I thought you were using the Atomic Flash installer. For the regular PIAF install, use the ksalt install option which is non-graphical.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Open Box $359

NewEgg has some more of these as open box closeouts. I'd have to say that, for home use, this system is near perfect. Very quiet, fast, and runs the Skype add-on flawlessly. You can try our gPC mini out by calling nerdvittles from any Skype phone.

See the first post for how to save some additional money. Price includes free shipping.

nojstevens

Reaction score
Sorry, my mistake - its the gPC2 for $134.99 not the mini.

I have a spare Mac Mini (intel) has anyone installed PBX in a Flash on one of these?

Jon

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mark-curtis
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.