FOOD FOR THOUGHT End Point Manager missing Yealink T46/T48 Support?

cmariotti

Reaction score
I have been playing around with the Yealink T46G and T48G phones... I've been manually configuring them and I miss the End Point Manager's simplicity of selecting these models (they are missing) for quick configuration/deploy... Are these phones going to be added to the manager?

DaveDog

Reaction score
T46 is in Scmooze commercial endpoint manager, but the firmware is not up to date with the latest release on Yealink's web site. I expect to see T48 support shortly after you can get the phone, disappointed pricing for this module keeps climbing, especially for a beta, but money has to be made somewhere.

Updates to OSS endpoint manager haven't happened in so long, I almost expect there will never be another.

Reaction score
T46 is in Scmooze commercial endpoint manager, but the firmware is not up to date with the latest release on Yealink's web site. I expect to see T48 support shortly after you can get the phone, disappointed pricing for this module keeps climbing, especially for a beta, but money has to be made somewhere.

With Schmooze EPM you can download the latest firmware available, and make them available by using the 0.00 slot.

From the EPM wiki
All firmware is downloaded to the tftpboot directory under each brand such as aastra/1 and aastra/2 for slot 1 and slot 2. If you pick firmware version 0.00 this allows you to then go into the slot that you put firmware 0.00 and download and install your own custom firmware that you want into this slot.

cmariotti

Reaction score
Sorry, for late reply... I thought I had 'watched this thread' enabled.

I am using the Open Source, non-commercial version.

The commercial version at $75 seems slightly steep in my situation... I assume that's per server... in the range of $25-$40 or a per handset basis would have been easier, but that's their model and it's obviously a good module and hats off to the devs.

In many of my cases, we're starting out with one or two phones only, which makes it hard to justify $ (usually more within a year or two, which is why the starting price is a little high) . On the other hand, I can certainly see it being useful in a 6+ set rollout.

Is anyone maintaining the Open Source version still? Or is it pretty much dead? Or does it work on a Bounty basis....

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
tm1000 was maintaining the Open Source EPM but now works for Schmooze. You can probably figure out the rest. :dots:

tm1000

Schmoozecom INC/FreePBX
Reaction score
First off, Ward, thank you for assuming you know anything about me, my life or the choices I make as an individual.

I've often wanted to write a blog post about my opinionated thoughts about "Endpoint Managers" and "Open Source". By calling me out directly and posting a snarky comment such as "You can probably figure out the rest" you've baited me into finally doing it for all of the world to see, so congratulations you win! I don't even want to know what you think you've "figured" out because it's just wrong, but surprisingly not shocking. So let's start at the beginning shall we, the whole boring history of Endpoint Manager (and for clarifications sake I provide NO code for the Commercial Endpoint Manager, I have no commits and have worked 0% on it, which is contradictory to what most people think)

I first came upon Endpoint Manager about 4-5 years ago and NO I was not the original author. I was setting up about 10 grandstreams GXP2000s and 2 Polycom 501s and I thought it was a pain in the butt. I looked around and found the "Endpoint Manager" that was created by John Mullinix and Ed and was turned into a module by Tony Shiffer (not Tony Lewis). I wanted to contribute back my work on the Polycom 501s and GXP2000s and also wanted to contribute back some of my own code and improvements. Somehow this turned into an almost full rewrite of endpoint manager which took the version from 1.0 to 2.0. I did all of the original work by myself, Tony John and Ed contributed no code to my efforts and they were honestly about to let the project die (I didn't realized this until about a year later). It's no fault of their own, Ed simply stated he had no intrest in continuing to work on it at all and John admitted he didn't know how to code and Tony S want to just be a supervisor or project manager of sorts.

This was the first "blow" to my development process. You see, I like working as a team, team problem solving is my favorite thing and it's probably why when I was ready to graduate high school I had about 3,000 hours of community service, but I digress. I don't like working on projects alone and it was a little (ok a lot) disappointing when I realized this wouldn't be a team effort and it would be all me. I looked around at other endpoint managers that were around at the time, namely Trixbox and Elastix (I think those were the only two).

So I decided I would release my work on the PIAF forums. At the time I had no communications with any FreePBX developers and I was completely outside or oblivious to all of the drama (man, those were the days). The work I ended up doing on Endpoint Manager didn't even help me at my job (as I ended up having to configure everything by hand) and I didn't get paid by anyone to do any work on the project. Releasing it on the forums was a good idea in retrospect. A few people started using it and Ward made it a sticky thread to promote it.

As time grew on many people came forward and provided me with phones, they even shipped them right to my house and I had a whole table full of them. My friends would come over and tell girls that I was running a 1-900 sex operation line, it was big fun. By the end of that first year I has about 20 phones, But no one stepped forward to help code, people came and went promising to "help with the php aspect" but in the end they never really did anything, perhaps this is no fault of their own but more of my own terrible coding in endpoint manager. Anyways, I was still working on the project by myself in what little free time I had and I started to help with another project that was sponsored by Tony Shiffer, CID Superfecta.

Somewhere around this time I got a call from a Wisconsin number, I answered and it was Tony Lewis and Philippe Lindheimer. They wanted to include Endpoint Manager in version 2.9 of FreePBX for free as they saw it was a valuable resource. I was pretty excited and I ended up doing a bunch more work to get it 2.9 ready. When 2.10 came around I had to completely rewrite the user interface to work with the new FreePBX interface while also providing backward capabilities for 2.9 and 2.8. I also ended up writing a few other modules during this time such as Swiss Army Knife (to which the features in that module have no found their way into FreePBX 12) and unbeknownst to most people I completely rewrote (with the help of SteveUK and @lgatez) CID Superfecta after Tony Shiffer decided he didn't want to host any FreePBX code on his server and was about to delete it all, thank the lord for github, Lorne and Steve. Without them CID superfecta would have been another lonely project for me to support...."oh boo hoo" you are thinking, but in realty it probably would have just died. After a while Tony Lewis proposed that I should started doing FreePBX support tickets on the side to make some extra incoming to help support and foster development on Endpoint Manager and around this time the thread "Endpoint Manager" was un-stickied on PIAF (I have no reason or idea why).

As even more time passed and I went up to San Francisco about 4-5 times to talk and work with 2600hz on rewriting the whole Provisioner and endpoint manager interface. We started with v3 and now they are up to v5 (of which I have still had much input, including a full two days of working together in August 2013, AFTER I was working full time for Schmoozecom), still unreleased and still in beta and still not supporting very many models but they've done a ton of work and I'm extremely grateful for them and the help and work they provided, the one stipulation though is that all of their work on provisioning is focused on Kazoo, I still have to integrate their work into FreePBX and I no one is integrating the work in Blue.Box. By this point I was extremely burnt out on phone provisioning, it just becomes not fun after a while, ask anyone who has done this work extensively like Luke from Schmoozecom or Francis of 2600hz. I needed a break from it an opportunity to breathe some Fresh air.

Furthermore the employment agreement I signed with Schmoozecom does not forbade me from working on Provisioner or Endpoint Manager, in fact Tony Lewis actually modified it so that I could continue to work on those in the future and so that he could foster open source growth. This is something I suspect you didn't know though because I don't make these details public because it's really NOYB and I signed this agreement with them in November of 2012, well before I started working for them full time, so take that for what it's worth, but thats the TRUTH. Tony Lewis does not prevent me from working on Endpoint Manager, I choose not to at this time.
  • Why?
    • because I am burnt out on it.
  • Does that mean its dead?
    • No it doesn't.
  • Well when will it come back?
    • I don't know.
  • So you are just giving up on it to push the commercial endpoint so you make money
    • No I have no direct involvement with the commercial endpoint and that is because I dont want people to think this so I stay out of it.
  • Yeah right, come on, we all know it's all about $$
    • I seriously do not work on Commercial Endpoint Manager
  • So endpoint manager will never be updated, it hasn't gotten updates in years
  • Well what about Open Source
    • I think my track record proves I am committed to open source. Look at all of the work I have done in Superfecta, Swiss Army Knife, FreePBX 12, Asterisk 12, Google Voice in Asterisk 11, dahdiconfig module
If you want to judge Schmoozecom based on the fact that OSS Endpoint Manager isn't in active development then thats your choice, however it's also MY choice NOT to work on it(and even 2600hz knows about me being burnt out on this because they choose to ask, they do not make assumptions about myself and my employer). But before you do that you need to look back and think about a few things, like how the fix I wrote for this community for Google Voice in Asterisk 11, which was supported and tested by most people here, that fix was fully funded by Schmoozecom, after I coded it and submitted the patch Tony told me to file hours against my work, my time in Asterisk 12 and the completely free of charge rewrite for User Control panel that will be coming out soon with HTML5 audio playback support and phone and tablet support was also paid fully by Schmoozecom, so if you all want me to work on the free version of endpoint manager and have no growth in other areas of FreePBX (and if you want to keep fighting your "recordings" maint password user battles on software that was written in 2007) then fine. We can set that up and I can just chug along on oss endpoint manager for the rest of my dying days and FreePBX can just stifle and die.

Look, thats not realistic. The realistic nature about Schmoozecom is the fact that we fund many open source endeavors we just don't openly brag about them all the time. And I know that when the time is right and I want to come back and start working a little on Endpoint Manager that Tony Lewis won't have a problem with that because we've already talked about it....

tm1000

Schmoozecom INC/FreePBX
Reaction score
...But right now I'm too focused on getting FreePBX 12 out the door and the new User Control panel and HTML5 audio and the WebRTC module does anyone see a theme here? These are all completely free. I haven't worked on a commercial module for Schmoozecom in about 6 months, I do solely open source full time development for them and Tony Lewis is happy about that. Over the last year I've been focused on updating our infrastructure, working on starting the new Wiki with Tony Lewis, moving from SVN to GIT with Bryan Walters which ended up turing into a rewrite of mirror and it's tools which also broke some endpoint manager backend stuff which I am still in the processes of fixing and finally releasing a web localization interface for FreePBX that will be coming out in the next few weeks with a contributor named Kevin from Japan and Bryan (and this thing is sweet, you can add a new translated string in about 2 minutes from anywhere in the world). So in terms of open source developments I think I have done a ton of work and I think Schmoozecom is awesome for funding it all. So I leave that for all of your to think about.

Also endpoint manager sits where it always has been, on github https://github.com/FreePBX/endpointman/commits/master waiting for people to commit to it, like Jack did 6 months ago, a random guy who came along and added some code to it. Or provisioner that got an update 22 days ago (https://github.com/provisioner/Provisioner). Thats all it needs just people helping the project along and I can't be expected to be the guy maintaining it, maintaining is VERY different than doing it all by yourself, I am not a maintainer. I WAS the sole contributor.

Writing and maintaing Endpoint Manager is a 40+ hour a week job and we aren't paying someone in India to code for us. I surprised we even sell it at $75. It's your own opinions and I don't know the back story of any of your installs so I can't make assumptions myself and I won't, I will only say that we lose our @$$ on commercial endpoint manager, I know that doesn't warm your hearts or maybe you don't care but we don't break even, even at $75. If you can tell me how to sell a module like endpoint manager and pay the salary of a developer in America then I am all ears!

So now, if you all don't mind I'm going to get some sleep because I am working on a telethon tomorrow to raise funding for the local library.

and finally, Mr. Ward Mundy I don't even want to get into it with you and by "into it" I mean I don't want to fight or argue or lash out at each other. I just think it's fair that I get to have my say about my own life after you made your assumptions about me, so for once let's just leave it at that and be done with it.

War is over ... If you want it.” ― John Lennon

tm1000 was maintaining the Open Source EPM but now works for Schmooze. You can probably figure out the rest. :dots:

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
You're an incredible asset to the open source community, tm1000. Wasn't attributing bad motives. And certainly wasn't suggesting you weren't busy with other equally important things. Once you have a full-time job, it's simply hard to make time for the "other stuff" you used to do, especially when it's pretty awful work to begin with. darmock is experiencing much the same transition. We all have to eat, and we all appreciate everything you and Tom do for the open source community. Sorry if it came across as harsh on my part.

Reaction score
I was an devout OSS Endpoint Manager user, it was a god send. I have in the last 4 months begun to use the Schmooze Endpoint Manager. I won't do an installation without it. For $75 it is a bargain.

Thanks to all of the contributors of these great projects.

gordon

Reaction score
Just for people coming across this by searching... it appears that OSS Endpoint Manager supports the T46g with the "yealinkv70" package. See http://mirror.freepbx.org/provisioner/v3/ or https://github.com/provisioner/Provisioner/tree/master/endpoint/yealinkv70

I ran into an issue trying to get the package to install, but the following two commands allowed me to import it successfully.

Code:
mkdir /var/www/html/admin/modules/_ep_phone_modules/temp
chown asterisk:asterisk /var/www/html/admin/modules/_ep_phone_modules/temp

Using CentOS 6.5 and IncrediblePBX 11.4 (http://incrediblepbx.com/incrediblepbx11.4.centos.tar.gz)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nikko
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.