TUTORIAL Doorbell sensing on Raspberry Pi for Asterisk

dsladden

Reaction score
This was just what I was looking for - thanks. I'm now able to have Asterisk ring whichever phones in the house that I want when the doorbell is pushed.
However...
I have Cisco 7940 phones, which don't support distinctive rings unfortunately, so there is much confusion amongst the less tech savvy here between phone calls and doorbells.
No problem, thinks I, I can set them up so that a push on the bell pages all the phones and plays back a recorded doorbell sound.
And I have this working to an extent, within 7940 limitations. The main limitation is that the only way to get an intercom/paging function out of these phones is to set up another extension on Line 2 which auto answers. So for each "real" extension (201, 202, 203 etc.) there is an "autoanswer" extension (301,302,303 etc.).
Great. A push on the doorbell plays a "ding-dong" sound out of all the speakers of the 7940s by paging 301,302,303 etc.
But unfortunately this doesn't work if someone happens to be on the phone - call waiting kicks in. Wouldn't it be nice if Asterisk could figure out that e.g. extension 203 was in use, so don't page extension 303 but instead whisper the "ding-dong" to extension 203.
Well, I just can't get ChanSpy to do the business in this scenario. The FreePBX paging app I am using doesn't seem to work (no whisper appears to extension 203) and I have tied myself in knots trying to code this functionality in a dialplan!
So I hope someone has invented this wheel already - a page function which succeeds in whispering to busy 7940/7960/any other 2-line phone with line 2 set to autoanswer to implement intercom. Or alternatively a kind soul can point me in the right direction?

Reaction score
I'm not sure about how you would be able to do this, perhaps some of the intercom experts can be of help?

(Pleased you found my tutorial useful).

IlFrancii

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm a new member of the forum.
I follow you from Italy.
if I wanted to add a keyboard shortcut to open a gate, how I do it?
Thank you all!

Mark Bielech

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I have a few questions regarding a project that I am looking into doing. Does the tutorial above have the PIAF running on the Raspberry Pi? Are the door and door.sh scripts run on the Raspberry Pi or my PIAF system?

I know very little when it comes to the Raspberry Pi, but ideally I would like to have something running on the Pi that when a doorbell button is pressed, the Pi will call a ring group on my separate PIAF system.

Concurrently, I would also like to maintain my existing doorbell chime with this project. I know this would most likely entail me to wire in parallel an AC relay that could deliver a DC signal on the other side of the relay connected to the Pi.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

-Mark

ostridge

Guru
Reaction score
Does the tutorial above have the PIAF running on the Raspberry Pi? Are the door and door.sh scripts run on the Raspberry Pi or my PIAF system?
Run script(s) on the Pi; link pi to piaf by sip or iax trunk if you need/want.

As per incrediblepbx.com start here: http://wable-repo.wardmundy.net/incrediblepbx/

Best to get a Pi running before doing the electronics. The GPIO pinouts mentioned in this thread are as http://www.hobbytronics.co.uk/raspberry-pi-gpio-pinout
For RPi2b http://nerdvittles.com/?p=13790 Which is the tutorial to install incrediblepbx with incredibleGUI on Raspbian7 Debian Wheezy (as sig below).

There are plenty of doorbell circuits to be found on the web - then you can scratch your head before making your own and asking again. (not necessarily in that order) :confused5:

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bellabos
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.