TRY THIS Display called party name not just extension number

dfisheratt

Reaction score
I have PBX in a Flash up and running with Polycom 501's and it has been rock solid.

One minor issue we have been living with is that when a person dials an extension, the 501 only displays the extension number dialed. The system we came form would disply the name and extension dialed on the 501.

I am trying to figure out if this is a phone setting or asterisk setting and what is needed to make this work like it used to.

Thanks in advance.

Dennis

PS. I did search the forums and google but this is a very tricky search as terms used relate to so many different issues. Therefore, I apologize if I missed the answer elsewhere.

dfisheratt

Reaction score
Thank for the reply. I have Display Name filled for every extension. The caller ID does appear on the phone being called. It is the phone making the call that I would like to have disply the name and extension of the person dialed. It is really just a "comfort" thing. The higher ups would like to be sure they dialed the person they thought they did with a quick glance at the phone after they dial an extension.
Dennis

randy7376

Defnyddiwr Gweithredol
Reaction score
One way you MIGHT be able to get this information to display on the phone is to populate the "Directory" information that the phone can pull down from t*f*t*p on start-up.

Look for 000000000000-directory~.xml on your server and see if it already exists. This has a template for the "Directory" structure. If you can't find it, I can post a copy of it.

I'll have some directory info available to our conference room phone. I'll go check it in a bit and see if the above holds true.

EDIT: On the Soundstation IP 6000 we have, it does not behave that way (our Aastras do, however). It only displays To:XXX when I dial an extension that also exists in the phone's directory. Was worth a shot.

dfisheratt

Reaction score
Yeah, I tried that. Unless there is a way to tell the phone to pull the infor from there, it didn't work for me...

Thanks though.

Dennis

dfisheratt

Reaction score
Thanks for checking! We are planning to replace the Polycoms very soon. I met with a sales rep from Aastra at Astricon this year. I was very impressed with the phones and will probably be purchasing a few 57i's in a few weeks. They will go to the managers which will take care of the issue.

Thanks again for the help!

Dennis

tm1000

Schmoozecom INC/FreePBX
Reaction score
I just checked the 57i sitting next to me and it still doesn't display the CID of the person you are calling.

You'll need Asterisk 1.8 + FreePBX 2.9 to get that feature. (as mentioned above)

Thanks for checking! We are planning to replace the Polycoms very soon. I met with a sales rep from Aastra at Astricon this year. I was very impressed with the phones and will probably be purchasing a few 57i's in a few weeks. They will go to the managers which will take care of the issue.

Thanks again for the help!

Dennis

randy7376

Defnyddiwr Gweithredol
Reaction score
I just checked the 57i sitting next to me and it still doesn't display the CID of the person you are calling.

We're running 57is, also. I have two directories our phones pull down - internal and external. As long as the number exists in either one of those lists, it displays the name of the entry I dial on the keypad. If it's not in either directory, the phone only displays the number dialed. As long as I can remember, it has always worked this way.

What firmware version are you running? We're at 2.6.0.2010 and we do not use the XML scripts.

tm1000

Schmoozecom INC/FreePBX
Reaction score
I don't have my directories populated so that's the issue. :)

We're running 57is, also. I have two directories our phones pull down - internal and external. As long as the number exists in either one of those lists, it displays the name of the entry I dial on the keypad. As long as I can remember, it has always worked this way.

What firmware version are you running? We're at 2.6.0.2010 and we do not use the XML scripts.

wzheng

Reaction score
Sorry for bumping this old thread up. I have the same issue as the OP has. I use cisco phones and Asterisk 1.8 + FreePBX 2.10.
When I dial an extension like 201, it only shows number 201 in the calling phone. I would like it also shows a name John with the number. Thanks in advance.

William

rossiv

Guru
Reaction score
Sorry for bumping this old thread up. I have the same issue as the OP has. I use cisco phones and Asterisk 1.8 + FreePBX 2.10.
When I dial an extension like 201, it only shows number 201 in the calling phone. I would like it also shows a name John with the number. Thanks in advance.

William

Please open a new thread and link to this one, and also mention in the new thread the specific model of phones you are using.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
serhii
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.