TIPS Dial Pattern for Canada and US

metalexa

Reaction score
Hello all

I have a question about dial pattern. I see that most dial plans are for North America. I have a Trunk provider that offers me a local number in Canada and free calling within Canada only. I setup Google Voice to make calls but would like to have it use the Canadian trunk with the Canadian number to call Canadian numbers and if I need to call the US I would use Google Voice and do not care if its my local number.

How would I set this up with Dial Pattern? Would I need to add all the Canadian area codes for the Canadian trunk and all American area codes for the GV trunk? Is there a easier way?

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Easier way would be to make the Canadian trunk the default trunk and then add a dial prefix (e.g. 9) for Google Voice calls or vice versa.

billsimon

Reaction score
Can you instruct your Canadian provider to disallow international calls? If so, do that, and you'll only be able to call within Canada. You can list multiple trunks on a single outbound route in FreePBX. Calls would try the Canadian provider first and if rejected move on to Google Voice.

atsak

Guru
Reaction score
If either suggestion doesn't work, then just create a trunk for Canada and use the Canadian area codes (there aren't that many), then send all the other codes (no need to specify them) to Google Voice, then send international somewhere else, or disallow it entirely.

metalexa

Reaction score
I have no money on the account so when attempting to call the US it tells me that I have insufficient funds on the account. Also just remembered that not all Canadian numbers are free. There are some like to the Yukon (I don't call but still) that is $0.24 a minute while Google Voice is free.
I think the best option would be adding all the free Canadian area codes to the list and otherwise push all other calls to GV like atsak mentioned.
wardmundy: Fantastic idea if it would be just me using it but want to set up phones for some friends and family to make calls on the system and it would be nice to have them just pick up the phone and dial 1xxx-xxx-xxxx to the US (or any area code in North America) and automatically select the correct trunk.
Thanks for all the good and fast feedback.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pbxnewguy
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.