RECOMMENDATIONS DECT/WIFI SIP phones??

MacNix

Guru
Reaction score
Anybody got recommendations on full cordless setups for SOHO and SMB operations?

I see that Yealink has a system capable of 5 simultaneous handsets, and Grandstream has the DP715.

I've been running a Polycom Kirk (now SpectraLink Kirk) system for some time - rock solid, with a lot of good options, but the only reason I got it was thru another business bankruptcy sale and I got it for a song...

Looking for recommendations and feedback..

I've got one of the Grandstream DP715s at home, and it's......dismal. Quality is...well, it sounds like a strangled duck... don't get me wrong - it connects, and works.. but no headphone jack, crappy audio signal, and it feels pretty cheap (especially compared to the Kirk handsets)...

Other recommendations? Anybody use the Yealink Dect system at all??

krzykat

Telecom Strategist
Reaction score
If you doing DECT, why not get ATA and do regular analog DECT?

Reaction score
I have the Yealink W52P setup and the Panasonic TGP500 and TGP550 at home. I've been pretty happy with the Yealink phones. I like the Panasonic handsets but I've had some odd problems (like not being able to pick up calls) that seem to be related to those handsets (I haven't seen the issue on the Yealink handsets or the desk phones or WiFi phones) that make me a bit wary of recommending them - I'm planning to swap those out for more desk phones or Yealink DECT phones or WiFi phones as I can. The Panasonic system is also a bit of a pain to configure (you have to unlock the web admin tool from a handset and then it stays unlocked for about a half hour iirc). So far I've been really happy with the Yealink sets. The only issue I've run across on those is that sometimes when I tell a handset to clear the missed call log the base will reset (not sure if that's related to how my ring groups are setup or what, but it's not a big issue for me since the missed call/voicemail light isn't really an issue since none of those extensions have voicemail - the ring groups rings most of those handsets so they all show the missed call light until I get around to clearing it).

Reaction score
As an add on:
The benefit of using an ATA and analog DECT is that you retain the old school shared line behavior of the analog DECT set if that is what you desire.
The downside is that you don't have individual extensions for each handset (although for purely internal calling decent DECT sets let you direct call between the handsets on the base).

Reaction score
As for WiFi phones, I have the Unidata WPU-7800 and its successor the Unidata Incom ICW-1000G. I've been pleased with both in the little testing I've done with them. They can be a bit tricky to setup (mainly getting the Wifi setup - there's no web config so it's all done on handset), but once you get them working they seem to work well. I tend to take one with me on occasion when I go from the house over to the church and there's probably a 1-2 minute downtime when I am moving between the 2 networks and the phone has to switch and reconnect.
They seem to have the standard features and sound pretty good to me. They are nothing overly fancy.

I guess what it comes down to is figuring out exactly what you need and looking over the various options and deciding what to try next.

MacNix

Guru
Reaction score
If you doing DECT, why not get ATA and do regular analog DECT?

sorry - i'm a bit lost as to your statement there...

ATA, as in analog/copper?? sorry, I left copper years ago.

My goal is DECT phones (for on-location quality signaling) which are each a separate SIP extension. for example, the Kirk system we've got uses a single receiver, with 12 handsets. each is config'd as a separate SIP ext# on the PBX, some extensions are attributed to business A, some to B, and others to C.. so all are running thru the same receiver, yet have complete independence of each other - they might as well be three distinct units, in terms of usability..

So I'm wanting to be able to offer that level of interconnectivity, at a reasonable pricepoint...

If I'm missing your point, please enlighten - i'm not completely versed in all VOIP lingo.

krzykat

Telecom Strategist
Reaction score
sorry - i'm a bit lost as to your statement there...

ATA, as in analog/copper?? sorry, I left copper years ago.

My goal is DECT phones (for on-location quality signaling) which are each a separate SIP extension. for example, the Kirk system we've got uses a single receiver, with 12 handsets. each is config'd as a separate SIP ext# on the PBX, some extensions are attributed to business A, some to B, and others to C.. so all are running thru the same receiver, yet have complete independence of each other - they might as well be three distinct units, in terms of usability..

So I'm wanting to be able to offer that level of interconnectivity, at a reasonable pricepoint...

If I'm missing your point, please enlighten - i'm not completely versed in all VOIP lingo.

Nope - you're on point. Many people that mention DECT as a single extension with multiple handsets on it. For that, an ATA with a cheaper Uniden Dect makes sense. You are saying each phone needs to be its own extension on the PBX, so Yes, my proposal is not correct for that. Then the Pure VoIP Dect systems make for the proper solution.

rossiv

Guru
Reaction score
I've used Snom M3s previously, worked very well. Can't recall any issues off of the top of my head other than the charging contacts wore down on the bases over time, and the phones weren't very rugged. Functionality wise, though, they worked fine. I had each individual handset have its own SIP extension, with an additional SIP extension that rang all of the phones. [For reference, this was at home.] Never used the M9s.

MacNix

Guru
Reaction score
Uniden SIP Dect are available in the Schmooze Portal, here is more information from earlier this year freepbx.org/news/2014-01-28/freepbx...t-handsets-to-be-showcased-at-itexpo-asterisk

thx.. that looks along the lines of what we're seeking. What's the unit build quality like? Are they rugged enough for business use? My prior experience with Uniden electronics wasn't entirely positive, and unless I'm missing something, I'm unable to find a single independent review of the product and output. :eek:

Most of my experience with DECT SIP setups is that most seem to be targeting SOHO situations, with the idea of the controller being a complete PBX on its own (in lieu of Piaf/etc), so it seems to me that this is a market niche waiting to be explored... The Polycom/Spectralink Kirk systems are GREAT, but they're not cheap either, and (I think) they're really geared for larger campus situations, where interoperability across numerous transmitters is key.. and not everybody wants to drop $$$$ to get into Dect...

islandtech

Wassamassaw
Reaction score
Using both Snom M3 & M9. Good battery life, good range, flexible configuration, multiple accounts.

wa4zlw

Reaction score
I have the grandstream DP715 and I find the audio is excellent. Yes on the headset jack missing. The SIemens Dect cordless I had I don't think had it either and it's audio was good. I gave it to my Synagogue.

redstonemason

Certified AWS Architect (And a KVM fan!!!)
Reaction score
I have a customer that are thrilled with their new Yealink W52 cordless phones. To give them old school analog type functionality i set up a ring group so that both phones ring simultaneously.

The SNOM wireless was a disaster for me. The Siemens was okay. BTW, the Yealink uses the Siemens engine but the web interface is so much better and the handset is nicer too.

MacNix

Guru
Reaction score
I have the grandstream DP715 and I find the audio is excellent. Yes on the headset jack missing. The SIemens Dect cordless I had I don't think had it either and it's audio was good. I gave it to my Synagogue.

Interesting.. I must've gotten the rotten one in the batch - mine sounds like a strangled duck - muffled and nasel-y... I use it only for testing VOIP systems, because i can carry it around a facility and do quick testing of other extensions and it fits in my backpack easily..

My first dance with SNOM was also a disaster.. probably due to my inexperience with VOIP as much as anything at that time, but it didn't seem to be very intuitive...

prattmd2

Reaction score
I have the W52 Yealink system, works great. I also assigned a separate extension for each of the handsets, but ring them all at the same time with a ring group.
Very nice Web interface to the base and allows you to change any of the handsets and update them independently.

MacNix

Guru
Reaction score
I got the W52 2 weeks ago for a client, with 4 handsets as well.. really like it overall..

It's not as high quality as the Polycomm/KIRK system, but at 25% of the price, I think it's worthwhile, for the money....

I have the W52 Yealink system, works great. I also assigned a separate extension for each of the handsets, but ring them all at the same time with a ring group.
Very nice Web interface to the base and allows you to change any of the handsets and update them independently.

hbonath

Guru
Reaction score
Yealinks W52P seem to be a great value and work well. We had some issues with the DECT extender and the phone not roaming properly, however it may be that I need more extenders.

Tony Clayton

Reaction score
As for WiFi phones, I have the Unidata WPU-7800 and its successor the Unidata Incom ICW-1000G. I've been pleased with both in the little testing I've done with them. They can be a bit tricky to setup (mainly getting the Wifi setup - there's no web config so it's all done on handset), but once you get them working they seem to work well. I tend to take one with me on occasion when I go from the house over to the church and there's probably a 1-2 minute downtime when I am moving between the 2 networks and the phone has to switch and reconnect.
They seem to have the standard features and sound pretty good to me. They are nothing overly fancy.

I guess what it comes down to is figuring out exactly what you need and looking over the various options and deciding what to try next.

20SEP16. Hi Mark, actually there is now web configuration available for the ICW-1000G. Just type in the IP address of the phone in your browser followed by :8080. Agree the setup is only for those who know SIP. Once going they are very reliable, quality sound and now I believe are plug and play with FreePBX on the Communication Manager. BTW, the current FW as of this posting is 1.0.9 and supports VPN, 802.11n and Enterprise WPA2, which many others do not.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rahee
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.