FOOD FOR THOUGHT Current Thinking Re: CloudPro

tycho

Guru (not...)
Reaction score
For those of you who have gone down the Cloud-at-Cost CloudPro route, what's your current thinking?

I have two Developer 1 systems acquired during the various fire sales. Could I convert each to CloudPro and combine their individual resources into one pile of goodies comprising 2 Xeon vCPUs, 1024MB RAM and a 20+GB SSD? With the two systems I have now I have 2 separate public IPs. Would I have to purchase a second IP if I converted both to CloudPro and combined them (if I can even do that)?

The advantage I see at my very-small-scale is that I could have one single bigger V-machine if I wanted one -- basically a Developer 2 -- or two of the same size small V-machines but with more granular SSD or maybe even RAM assignments (perhaps, for example, 5GB disk for one, 15GB disk for the other).

A disadvantage is that I have one machine exactly the way I want it, including a number of hand-installed daemons and applications, a couple of which were a PITA to get where I wanted, what with dependencies and all. Not sure that I can image or back up that one machine and move it easily to a CloudPro instance.

Thoughts now that CloudPro has been available for a spell?

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
I've converted almost all of our systems to CloudPro. I don't see any drawbacks. You get an IP address for each VM you build in CloudPro. Performance on everything at CloudAtCost is still hit and miss, sometimes excellent and often awful. But it's a pretty good sandbox and works well for backups and the ability to resize images as you've indicated.

tycho

Guru (not...)
Reaction score
Thanks!

Do you know if there is there a way to back-up/image/snapshot an existing CoC server (as there is on DO)? I see nothing about it in the CoC FAQs (which are pretty bleak in terms of info) or their "articles" (ditto). Google was not my friend either.

I typically access that target CoC server via WinSCP/putty via a WinBox, but I could SSH in via a Linux box as well. I'm noobish in this regard but wondering if I can simply copy everything via such an interface to my local machine, move over to CloudPro, create a new server, and then essentially upload everything from my local file-set to the newly-created server. WinSCP also has a local/remote synchronize function that raises the possibility of backing up locally, but I have never used it. Reading about it now...

tycho

Guru (not...)
Reaction score
No worries. Tried the WinSCP sync function and it looked promising but after about 50 MB it failed. I might try a manual copy of the server and then a paste to a second server just for grins. Ugly but if it works,,,

I'll report back.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
serhii
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.