Counterpath Softphone and Dynamic IP

peterbata

Reaction score
Hello all. For the last few weeks I have setup my softphone to use my dynamic ip address. eg. piafpbx.dyndns.org

My setup:

2j342fa.jpg

Port fowarding at the router end has not changed. I have even tried ports 55060 and 5080. Nothing doing. The only time that it will function is when I enter the PIAF server ip: In my case 192.168.0.32

I should also mention that this is all happening at the same internal location, and that I did a fresh install of PIAF. Complete with ddclient.

6s48qw.jpg

The setting above always worked up until a day ago.

phonebuff

Guru
Reaction score
I am guessing that your router is connected to a WAN that gives you Dynamic IP Assignments and your IP assignment changed. Your pointing at the dyndns entry probably is handling part of the equation, but what is the content of sip_nat.conf specifically the externip= line ?

Also, what errors if any do you see in the asterisk log file "full" when you try and connect ?

-------------------

peterbata

Reaction score
Hello, and thank you so much for the prompt reply. I really appreciate it.

Yes my IP does change on occasion, but not very often.

If you are referring to sip_nat.conf located at /etc/asterisk this file is empty.

I am not really sure how to retrieve or generate log file "full" but was able to copy / paste this.

[2012-02-26 23:38:22] NOTICE[1769] chan_sip.c: Registration from '"Peter"<sip:[email protected]>' failed for '174.xx.xxx.49:9692' - Device does not match ACL
[2012-02-26 23:38:22] NOTICE[1769] chan_sip.c: Registration from '"Peter"<sip:[email protected]>' failed for '174.xx.xxx.49:9692' - Device does not match ACL
[2012-02-26 23:38:34] VERBOSE[3987] manager.c: == Manager 'admin' logged on from 127.0.0.1

I am guessing that your router is connected to a WAN that gives you Dynamic IP Assignments and your IP assignment changed. Your pointing at the dyndns entry probably is handling part of the equation, but what is the content of sip_nat.conf specifically the externip= line ?

Also, what errors if any do you see in the asterisk log file "full" when you try and connect ?

-------------------

rossiv

Guru
Reaction score
"Device does not match ACL" means that the IP Address that you are trying to register from is denied in Asterisk. Go to FreePBX > Extensions > 701 and look at the Permit and Deny lines. If you need to register from outside the network where the PBX is, change both the Permit and Deny values to 0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0.Be warned though - Anyone can attempt to register to your server this way. I recommend using either a whitelist or Travelinman for the most secure approach.

phonebuff

Guru
Reaction score
Well,

I agree with the above you should check the extension.

BUt you should also make sure you have a /etc/asterisk/sip_nat.conf with at least the following statements copied from a FreePBX forum post or voip-Info.org

nat=yes

externip=your.external.dotted.IPaddess

fromdomain=foo.dyndns.com

localnet=192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0

The "fromdomain" line would contain your public address, while "externip" contains the numeric IP address your ISP has assigned you (which hopefully doesn't change often).
If your ISP does change IP addresses on you frequently, and for some reason you can't/won't change ISP's or get a static IP address, and you are running at least Asterisk 1.2.x then there is an alternative way to specify your address to the system (however, note that some users find that this simply does not work as expected):

externhost=foo.dyndns.net

externrefresh=10

These are used IN PLACE OF the "externip" (and "fromdomain", if you have included that) lines. DO NOT use both "externhost" and "externip." Supposedly, "externhost" will cause Asterisk to perform DNS queries periodically, but they say it is "Not recommended for production environments!" and suggest using "externip" instead. "externrefresh" tells the system how often to refresh "externhost".

peterbata

Reaction score
Thank you to both rossiv and phonebuff for taking the time to providing your valuable input. It is greatly appreciated.

I did forget to mention a couple of things however.
1) I am able to access such things as Webmin and Travelinman from a pc located outside of our premises. eg. mypiafpbx.dyndns.org:83/12345.

2) Just around the time that I began experiencing problems, I did notice that the interface of my router login / admin pages had changed dramatically. I assume that my ISP performed some type of firmware update or so without the knowledge of their clientele. I am with Bell using a 2WIRE wireless modem / router combo.

I will definitely look into the matter of the extension. Sounds like the logical place to start.

Have yourselves a wonderful day. Thanks again for the assistance. Peter

phonebuff

Guru
Reaction score
Okay,

UVerse all Bets are off. This 2Wire box they use is a very broken device in my opinion and I gave up on mine and went back to straight DSL for now.

What you can do with a Browser and how SIP behaves are two totally different worlds, and I would NEVER let a public IP browse into my Asterisk box. Use an SSH Tunnel for this and protect yourself..

Good Luck..

I am with Bell using a 2WIRE wireless modem / router combo.

Peter

peterbata

Reaction score
I haven't been very happy with the device ever since our provider decided to replace the older Speedstream units with this door stopper (I wish). Even our smartphones started behaving oddly after the switch was made.

Thanks again for taking the time to assist me with my issue(s). Back to the drawing board as they say.

Okay,

UVerse all Bets are off. This 2Wire box they use is a very broken device in my opinion and I gave up on mine and went back to straight DSL for now.

What you can do with a Browser and how SIP behaves are two totally different worlds, and I would NEVER let a public IP browse into my Asterisk box. Use an SSH Tunnel for this and protect yourself..

Good Luck..

peterbata

Reaction score
Well, for what it's worth. I re-installed PIAF. This time choosing to install Purple version 2.9.0.9. Very straightforward install but NO Incredible PBX / NO Travelinman / No Incedible Fax this time. My softphone works just fine when using my dynamic IP address. Must have been something in the way the extensions were configured in the larger install.

Thanks again. No Pain, No Gain I suppose !

Okay,

Good Luck..

phonebuff

Guru
Reaction score
Well,

I would bet it will be back. You probably masked the issue instead of identifying and solving it.

Good Luck.
---------------

peterbata

Reaction score
One of the major / obvious differences between the basic install vs install with Incredible PBX are all the pre-configured extensions. So, it may very well have been what rossiv eluded to in one of his earlier responses to me in post #4 where he says:

"Device does not match ACL" means that the IP Address that you are trying to register from is denied in Asterisk. Go to FreePBX > Extensions > 701 and look at the Permit and Deny lines. If you need to register from outside the network where the PBX is, change both the Permit and Deny values to 0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0.Be warned though - Anyone can attempt to register to your server this way. I recommend using either a whitelist or Travelinman for the most secure approach.

As far as the problem re-occuring, I hope that you are wrong. But, I'm up for any challenge. Again, I thank you for all the help. Have a great evening. Peter

Well,

I would bet it will be back. You probably masked the issue instead of identifying and solving it.

Good Luck.
---------------

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pbxnewguy
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.