QUESTION Connecting to a Legacy PBX

cjkeeme

Guru
Reaction score
I am an IT guy with plenty of VoIP experience (mostly setting up Asterisk in a server cluster). I was recently asked to take a look at a hotels legacy PBX system. Currently, they have Comcast providing the phone lines to the PBX.

What appliance would I need if I already have a cloud based Asterisk server and would like to provide my VoIP lines to the PBX?

cjkeeme

Guru
Reaction score
I'm not sure of the exact PBX but there is a Arris Touchstone Multi-Line Telephony Modem TM508A (Comcast) connecting to it. Does that help? I can get the exact PBX model tomorrow.

rossiv

Guru
Reaction score
That helps - it's analog trunks. In that case, the specific PBX model shouldn't matter.
If I understand your question, you want to provide trunks to that PBX through PIAF or some other PBX. If so, you want some FXS adapters - PCI-e or ATAs. Those will effectively be the same input type as the Comcast modem.

phonebuff

Guru
Reaction score

rossiv

Guru
Reaction score
phonebuff In your second link, shouldn't that be 8 FXS since the Vega is providing the dialtone, not the PBX?

cjkeeme

Guru
Reaction score
Thank you all for your input. I was able to purchase exactly what I needed. I also have another legacy PBX that I need to interface with.

Here is a link with some pictures of the setup: http://imgur.com/a/EiDQw

Do I need an FXS or FXO gateway for this? Currently, TW has 8 lines plugged into the PBX originating from a T1 circuit.

rossiv

Guru
Reaction score
If you're trying to replace TW's lines, you'll want FXS as you will be providing the dialtone.

rossiv

Guru
Reaction score
Personally not a fan of Grandstream. Sangoma Vegas work well. There's another thread here somewhere where someone bought a Vega and was working on getting it configured. I've personally used a Patton 4118 to integrate with a Mitel SX-200 EL PBX. Worked great, but much more expensive.

rossiv

Guru
Reaction score
Ack my reply disappeared.
Personally not a Grandstream fan. I've used a Patton 4118 personally and it worked fabulously with a Mitel SX-200 EL PBX.
VoipSupply has them for sale @ $399. IMO it's worth the extra $$. I can share my config too if you want.

cjkeeme

Guru
Reaction score
Hi Ross,

That is a little pricey. I've decided not to go with the Grandstream per your suggestion, plus I have used a few Grandstream ATAs that gave me issues in the past.

I'm leaning toward the Patton 4118, but I have also found this:
Linksys Cisco Telephone Gateway SPA8000

This should be a viable option to right? The price is certainly right.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
frapu
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.